Arizona sheriff orders armed "posse" to patrol school.

This is a discussion on Arizona sheriff orders armed "posse" to patrol school. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Grandpa and Great Grandpa providing armed protection for the chillins while Mom and Dad are out hunting and gathering or otherwise tending the fields. BRILLIANT! ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Arizona sheriff orders armed "posse" to patrol school.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: Arizona sheriff orders armed "posse" to patrol school.

Grandpa and Great Grandpa providing armed protection for the chillins while Mom and Dad are out hunting and gathering or otherwise tending the fields.

BRILLIANT!

Funny some times how old ideas become new again.

Of all the absurd things I have ever written I like this one the most.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

2. Remove Ads

Guns in the hands of citizens watching out for there own? Sounds like a good common sense idea.

It is a good idea, even if Joe is really doing it for publicity. Joe has always thrown the MCSO Posse at whatever problem is in the headlines, from drug smugglers, home invasions, illegal immigration, and now school safety. Most of his Posse are retired folks, that have met the minimum standards for law enforcement in Arizona.

I've worked with (not for) Sheriff Joe, and know that he's all about getting his face on TV and in the newspaper. I even have a Sheriff Joe bobble head doll he gave me one time. LOL His constituency, which is made up of primarily retirees, love him. They love him, he continues to get re-elected, and it's his view that this is all that matters. I guess if a collateral benefit of his grand standing is to make the Maricopa County Schools a bit safer, then it's worth it.
    wishyouwell likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Joe Arpaio and Jan Brewer are the two reasons I wouldn't mind living in AZ. I love that they both see a problem and DO something about it instead of forming a committee to "look into it and report their findings".

First protect the little kids to the best of our ability...then study the problem all you want.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MACC12 View Post
    One critic said he felt it was a recipe for disaster. What do you think?

Arizona sheriff orders armed 'posse' to patrol schools - U.S. News
    I wonder what kind of disaster the critic has in mind? Does he mean something like a person running into an elementary school and killing 20 children and 6 adults? That kind of disaster?
    wishyouwell likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I am against any civilian acting as armed security at or in public schools other than local LE.
    They would immediately open themselves up to immense civil suits should an incident occur and a gun is produced....OMO.
    Doghandler likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Now, I do wonder how many of the 3-400 carrying weapons are able to get off from work during school hours, day in and day
    out? My hunch is not many, at least not many of an age where they are physically and mentally able to deal with
    a heavily armed BG or two.

Number of schools in Maricopa County? I think I saw 7 School Districts on a google search and counted (quickly) at least 50 schools. Number of armed deputies? See the problem?

Publicity stunt.

An interesting idea nonetheless.

^^^^It will at least throw SOME^^^^^

Derranged shooters who may be thinking about shooting up a school, as they will not know WHICH school the posse members will be at, at any given day.
    Just like when a certain school district had too many problems on the buses, they installed "Black Boxes" onboard in the front of the bus pointing rearward.
    They couldn't afford to equip ALL the buses, but they ALL had the same "Black Box", which may or may not have had an actual camera inside. All of a sudden the little angels were behaving, because they couldn't tell which buses had the actual camera.

Hopyard,
    I am not suprised you don't like Joe.
    He isn't a Namby Pamby liberal.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I like Joe! I may have to move to Maricopa Co so I can vote for him! His Posse of volunteers included a 90 year old woman! She had an apt that over looked the largest malls parking lot. They issued her a uniform, radio, and a camera. They gave her enough training to be a good witness in court. Even just a patrol car cruising around the schools is a deterrent! DR

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Number of schools in Maricopa County? I think I saw 7 School Districts on a google search and counted (quickly) at least 50 schools. Number of armed deputies? See the problem?

Publicity stunt.

An interesting idea nonetheless.

I live in Maricopa County. It's the most populated in Az and includes Phoenix, the 6th largest city in the US. It has about 200 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I live in Maricopa County. It's the most populated in Az and includes Phoenix, the 6th largest city in the US. It has about 200 schools.
    Sorry, correction... 200 high schools!

So figure, high schools + elementary + middle + private schools = closer to 1000 schools.

Source for the High school number:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ols_in_Arizona

Edit:

Aha even better... 1152 public schools according to:

http://www.publicschoolreview.com/co...AZ/county/4013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I am against any civilian acting as armed security at or in public schools other than local LE.
    They would immediately open themselves up to immense civil suits should an incident occur and a gun is produced....OMO.
    OK, but what has that to do with Sheriff Joe's posse? According to the OP's article, they are all trained and deputized. Those carrying guns will have more training, but they are all trained to LEO standards before getting turned out on patrol.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links