Arizona sheriff orders armed "posse" to patrol school.

This is a discussion on Arizona sheriff orders armed "posse" to patrol school. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ran across this a few minutes ago. Not sure if "posse" was a good choice of words but at least he gets point across. One ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Arizona sheriff orders armed "posse" to patrol school.

Ran across this a few minutes ago. Not sure if "posse" was a good choice of words but at least he gets point across. One critic said he felt it was a recipe for disaster. What do you think?

Arizona sheriff orders armed 'posse' to patrol schools - U.S. News
    darbo, DocT65 and nerdyvirgin like this.

VIP Member
    I would say it all depends on the level and type of training the posse members have. If they are working in teams, I would think active shooter/killer training as well as partner training would be a big asset. Guys that just met the Constitutional carry requirement and have no further training may be a risk to themselves and others.

Sounds like Sheriff Joe is training of the posse members to reasonable standards. I like the program.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member
    I believe his "posse" is basically a reserve force so they would/should have (at least some) academy training.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I believe his "posse" is basically a reserve force so they would/should have (at least some) academy training.
    The article stated that they are trained to the same level as the normal sheriff deputies.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Story says they get the same training as deputy 100 hours. That means it’s the same as standard police force.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    The article stated that they are trained to the same level as the normal sheriff deputies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Story says they get the same training as deputy 100 hours. That means it’s the same as standard police force.

Well there ya go. I didn't read that particular article but had read another previous to this thread.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Hellava idea. Way to go, Sheriff Joe!
    tcox4freedom and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I new several of Joe's members and some had retired plus you have the Arizona Rangers and from the ones I was associated with they received good required training. Up in central Az they had what was called VIP, volunteers in protection and they had 2 levels armed and unarmed and the training was good on both levels.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Lots of huff and puff and media frenzy, then in a month it will have never happened. Just an old byline.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Re: Arizona sheriff orders armed "posse" to patrol school.

We need more of this type of thinking...

Volunteers, trained, armed and unarmed, both trained. I like it, a lot.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Another blog commenter said "I like the word posse, it's American sounding." I have to agree. Plus it does what Joe does best, stick it in the eye of the Wash. DC crowd.

VIP Member
    I usually would not agree with anything about Joe beyond that he should leave office, however, this statement
    makes his proposal seem realistic:

"Arpaio’s volunteers number about 3,000, with 300 to 400 carrying weapons. They log about 100 hours of training and undergo background checks, just like deputies, according to KPNX."

Now, I do wonder how many of the 3-400 carrying weapons are able to get off from work during school hours, day in and day
    out? My hunch is not many, at least not many of an age where they are physically and mentally able to deal with
    a heavily armed BG or two.

Number of schools in Maricopa County? I think I saw 7 School Districts on a google search and counted (quickly) at least 50 schools. Number of armed deputies? See the problem?

Publicity stunt.

An interesting idea nonetheless.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I usually would not agree with anything about Joe beyond that he should leave office, however, this statement
    makes his proposal seem realistic:

"Arpaio’s volunteers number about 3,000, with 300 to 400 carrying weapons. They log about 100 hours of training and undergo background checks, just like deputies, according to KPNX."

Now, I do wonder how many of the 3-400 carrying weapons are able to get off from work during school hours, day in and day
    out? My hunch is not many, at least not many of an age where they are physically and mentally able to deal with
    a heavily armed BG or two.

Number of schools in Maricopa County? I think I saw 7 School Districts on a google search and counted (quickly) at least 50 schools. Number of armed deputies? See the problem?

Publicity stunt.

An interesting idea nonetheless.
    Hop - I heard on the radio that the majority of Sheriff Joe's posse is retired LEO. I guess they have the time as they are getting a pension anyway. They may be working this as a second job part time too.

I love this guy!!!!!!!! I also like how he treats his criminals. Makes it so they don't want to come back to his jail.

Okay, maybe it's a bit of a publicity stunt - and I have no doubt that being seen to "send his posse out" is at least partially calculated to get Mr. Arpaio re-elected.

Yes, that particular media report glossed over the fact that the people being deployed are in fact trained, uniformed law enforcement officers - the fact that they are volunteers does not change the fact that they are qualified to enforce the law, have powers of arrest, and that this is not some sort of new class of LEO created to deal with a new problem. It seems to me that these people are citizens who have volunteered their time to be trained and serve their community, just like reserve law enforcement officers all over North America. This is nothing new - it's just happening at a time when the media thinks that they can generate ratings by covering something "controversial".

I also picked up on the fact that at no time did ANYONE say that the deputies in question would be inside the schools....they are patrolling the streets outside the public schools in the county.

It's all a tempest in a teacup - a logical and reasonable precaution taken by an elected official (albiet likely with the intention that it will help regarding re-election), and the knee-jerk reaction of hoplophobes...documented in a sloppy manner that attempts to inflame both of the opposing camps. The only thing that I see that is new is that the elected official acted in a logical and reasonable manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links