Kentucky Senator Blames Video Games For Violence

This is a discussion on Kentucky Senator Blames Video Games For Violence within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Our high and mighty elected officials are scrambling to find the "reasons" why people engage in sensless mass shootings. They really do not have the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Kentucky Senator Blames Video Games For Violence

Our high and mighty elected officials are scrambling to find the "reasons" why people engage in sensless mass shootings. They really do not have the answers so they dole out some trash that sounds good in the hope that it will show the general public, "Hey, we're on to something!"

Pathetic.

Stumbo blames violent video games for shootings - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Better than blaming the guns.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Hey, its the blame mentality. Gotta blame something. Consequences for our actions?? What?? Why, when its not our fault!! Sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    True Brad, but I suspect Dumbo....I mean Stumbo will go there next. It will be the video AND the guns. Just wait and see.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: Kentucky Senator Blames Video Games For Violence

Why this is unreasonabley unreasonable. Any attempt to make reason with the unreasonable will leave us less than satisfied.

There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.

Of all the absurd things I have ever written I like this one the most.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There is no reason for the upswing in violence; there are many reasons though. The videos are only indictive of a greater problem.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I personally disagree with pointing fingers at the movie/video game industry; I feel that if a person can not differentiate between video games, movies and real life, they are already a threat to society. The movies and video games are no more responsible for these killer's actions than the guns are; what ever happened to putting the blame on the idiot that does the crime? I'm sick of hearing how it's never their fault.
    John Luttrell

While I do not blame violent video games for the rash of shootings, I have come to believe that constant exposure to violent TV/movies/video games to young susceptible minds WITHOUT proper parental guidance does desensitize kids to the horror of killing. I have three boys (oldest is nine) and they do not play violent video games. However, I have already had talks with them about what I know they will get into later. While I'm not going to forbid the violent games when they are teens, I will drill into them the difference between fantasy and reality.
    Jeanlouise and F350 like this.

Distinguished Member
    I don't think violent video games are the reason people kill but I do think they can contribute to an unbalanced person's inability to differentiate fact from fantasy.

That said, I don't know what we can do about it except say, "hummmm ".
    F350 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    - I don't think it's better at all. The games being blamed are the ones that show violence using firearms, not Super Mario Bros. and Pac-Man. The blame needs to go where it belongs... to the criminal.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member
    Hollywood hates it when video games get blamed because they make millions off the production of them.
    So, that's one of the reasons I like to blame them. It really ticks them off.
    Rock and Glock and BurgerBoy like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

I presume you have never heard of Col Grossman nor are aware the first war video "games" were specifically designed to desensitize solders to the idea of killing a fellow human....

Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman's Biography

Then why are not all FaceBook users farmers since most of them play Farmville?
    Jetfuelrm and Jeanlouise like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

The problem some are making is comparing a normal person to one with mental issues and a absent moral compass. I think the result of them playing violent games day after day for hours could effect them. Don't forget that the shooter in Norway played Call of Duty for hours and even has spoke about its role in his training

To not look at games as a causative factor is premature IMO. Much of what Grossman said I believe is correct.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...-for-massacre/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VIP Member
    If violent video games push people out of kilter, we'd have a heck of a lot more murderers than at present. Until I had kids, I spent a fair amount of time playing the Quake, Unreal, and Doom series. And yes, I had the gore setting to the maximum, and yes, I tried for head shots. But I never thought about killing real people.

Millions of teens and adults play these games. If video games are causative of violent spree killings, why aren't they a daily occurrence?

As for the Norway killer, I seriously doubt that if he did not have Call of Duty he would be a upstanding citizen today.

Query: What violent video games did Charles Manson play? Or Dick Hickock and Perry Smith?

Correlation is not causation.

And where do we draw the line? Have y'all read any of Cormac McCarthy's books? Very very brutal and bloody. If the next killer is a Cormac McCarthy fan, should we blame Cormac McCarthy for the murders? Or Quentin Tarintino?

For the love of Pete, some people are just Evil and want to kill. With a birth every 8 seconds in this country, we are just going to end up with some bad seeds. It's as simple as that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links