Media Quiet About San Antonio Theater Shooting

This is a discussion on Media Quiet About San Antonio Theater Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Like Sunny Barger said "When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets."...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Media Quiet About San Antonio Theater Shooting

VIP Member
    Like Sunny Barger said "When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets."
    Brad426, msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I guess I am having trouble wrapping my head around what the problem is. I woke up and heard about it on the local news and the only reason I paid attention was because it happened at a theater where they were playing the Hobbit. My son and I were going to go see that later. Other than that there was nothing in the story that struck me as being newsworthy for the entire country. A guy goes to shoot his GF in a resteraunt and for some reason everbody flees to a theater where the gunman goes also. He was not planning on going to the theater according to the new. Gunman dead, two wounded...........typical news story for San Antonio and other big cities. I honestly would not even had paid attention if they did not say "Hobbit".

What am I missing? I think folks are trying to make a mountain our of a mole hill.

IF the gunman had killed 30 people and a CC'er stopped him it would be HUGE news, not just because of the death toll but because of the national discussion on gun control. I do not think the national media ignored it ( I did see a blurb on CNN and FOX, but that is what it was, a blurb) it just wasn't that newsworthy. I just looked up local news for many major citied over the last 2 weeks and there are some very interesting murders and gun related things....but not worthy of national news.

Do you guys think this should have been news if there was no Aurora shooting or Sandy Hook? They made news because a butt load of people got killed.....that was the story. If they were all knifed to death or a ceiling collaped, or a bomb went off it would have been news. A gunman dead and two wounded is not......that big of a deal.

Like Freud said, sometimes a bananna is just a bannana.
    So to make you happy the gunman should have shot up the theater? In light of what has happened there are a couple of good story,s here.
    1 Shooter is stopped by armed guard at a theater!
    2 Shooter is stopped by off duty cop, Why shouldn't we Employ them at our schools too!

suntzu, I think you are absolutely wrong, in this case. The way I interpret this story is that many people killed by a gunman is news, while the prevention of numerous deaths by an armed guard is not news. That is typical of the national media.

I live in Atlanta, the home of CNN, and have seen no reporting on this matter at all.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    suntzu, I think you are absolutely wrong, in this case. The way I interpret this story is that many people killed by a gunman is news, while the prevention of numerous deaths by an armed guard is not news. That is typical of the national media.

I live in Atlanta, the home of CNN, and have seen no reporting on this matter at all.
    You could live in Kenya and the CNN feed is about the same so where you live has no bearing on it LOL......It was a blurb. It was not a headline story. Anyway, are you saying it would have been a bigger news story if the deputy was on duty when she shot him? Why? Is every shooting by a LEO on CNN and making national news? I don't get it. It was I hate to say it a big city crime that is no big deal. You guys are saying that if a on duty cop shot him it would be bigger news. But cops shoot BG's all the time...and guys that actually have killed people and it is not a media frenzy nation wide.

OK...I will leave it be. To me (who lives in SA) it was just another shooting...no big deal. There is no one I know here that thinks it is a big deal.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I think the issue is "guns kill people" why does 20 dearh mean more than 2? The point trying to be made, and missed is the beleif we all stand on here. " the one tning that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy wih a fun. ( political statement, guy standing for both genders. Figure of speach.) the point is if an off duty armed citizen were at the school and not the theater, would the outcome and media report the news differently mildly reporting 2 kids in a school killed by a mad gunner and mass media repotring og 20 movie goers killed by a mad gunman. 1 life taken is too many, unless its the bad guy.
    A drunk driver killed 2 adults and hospitalized 2 children, is this any less newsworthy. I know that it keeps popping up but it is not a gun thst kills people its people and their choice of weapons. If a drunk kills a member of your family is it any less relevant than if a gun weilding madman does it? Dead is Dead!

oops...one more thing. What do yoou want the media to say? You know how it would be portrayed if they made it a big story:
    They would make it out that the only person who had the presence of mind to shoot the BG (and I think it was one shot) was a TRAINED LEO being hired to pull SECURITY for the theater (I beleive that was her function).

Therefor the reasoning would be yo do not need to be armed at a theater because the hired security and professionalism of a trained LEO thwarted this BG from killing millions.

I mean really...the anti's could spin this a lot. The dude at Auto Zone is a better example of a CC'er doing something (though he got fired)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    She wasn't an ordinary citizen carrying concealed she is an off duty deputy who was employed by the theater.
    Good guy with gun STOPS bad guy with gun. This is the point that is important.
    DPro.40 and atctimmy like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Here's my personal opinion of the media, in the context of the larger picture.

The main stream media is nothing more than a government propaganda machine. They're not biting the hand that feeds them. Even when they present bogus things in a manner that should be obvious to the public, people won't see it. People see what they want to see...what they need to see. When the truth is exposed (i.e. Fast & Furious), they can't fathom the lows our own government stoop to so they rationalize it all away. They drink the kool-aid and sing the mantra. Freedom doesn't die amid screams at the hands of an outside enemy. It dies amid the cheers of those it is being taken away from too blind to see that the "solutions" their own government are bringing are a response to crisis they manufactured to justify the action. In the end, the government only cares about the money. Nothing more, nothing less. Whatever agenda their pushing, you can trace it back to the money. Oh, and Internet social media networks are merely info gathering schemes...and they figured out a way to get people to voluntarily submit their data. Amazing. Now excuse me while I fashion myself a new tinfoil hat...got to get it done before the black cars come.

Now, how much truth there is to any of that, who knows...it certainly is not outside the realm of possibility. The media profits from staying aligned with the government agenda, so that's what they do. Basic economics.
    DPro.40 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

PM
    I think this did not make the National news for a number of reasons
    1) low body count
    2a) Armed Guard shot guy
    2b) Said Guard was Off Duty LEO
    3) did not fit the need of "Guns Bad" see point #1
    4) Sandy Hook was stil the major "Guns Bad";"Crazy people get Bad Guns"

To show you the how point #4 wirks "what Famous Writer died the same day as JFK?" How much press did his death get in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    I think this did not make the National news for a number of reasons
    1) low body count
    2a) Armed Guard shot guy
    2b) Said Guard was Off Duty LEO
    3) did not fit the need of "Guns Bad" see point #1
    4) Sandy Hook was stil the major "Guns Bad";"Crazy people get Bad Guns"

To show you the how point #4 wirks "what Famous Writer died the same day as JFK?" How much press did his death get in the USA?
    Got me PM. Is see your point. I don't have a clue which writer pass. I was glued to the tv watching JFK get shot. I lived in Ft Worth at that time.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links