Some good news.... if it holds (Record # of Americans against handgun bans)

This is a discussion on Some good news.... if it holds (Record # of Americans against handgun bans) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope this applies to any and all guns ...... See rest of story, charts and data..... at link....... Record number of Americans oppose handgun ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Fla
  • 2 Post By Echo_Four
  • 2 Post By DonnieD
  • 1 Post By ppkheat
  • 2 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Some good news.... if it holds (Record # of Americans against handgun bans)

I hope this applies to any and all guns ......

See rest of story, charts and data..... at link.......

Record number of Americans oppose handgun ban

An unprecedented number of Americans support the right to own a handgun, despite the recent mass killings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., that have renewed the push for gun control.

Even with the killings in Newtown as a backdrop, a new Gallup poll shows 74 percent of Americans now support the right to possess a handgun, while just 24 percent would support a ban.

In fact, the Gallup poll is a near-perfect example of why passing gun control legislation will be difficult.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Fla
    To bad the politicians never listen to the people. They just do what they want.
    BugDude and tdw63 like this.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

VIP Member
    We don't live in a democracy, we have a republic. That means that what the public wants is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what our elected representatives want to do. The American people didn't want Obama's health care reform, but we got it. The American people want a balanced budget but the Senate won't even pass a budget. It isn't a Democrat/Republican thing. It isn't about Conservative/Liberal. It is the system we have working the only way it can work when people care more about Snookie's baby than they do the issues of the day. As long as we keep sending the same people to Washington we'd be fools to think anything would change.
    Doghandler and MACC12 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Fla
    In the old days it was,
    "Love it or leave it."
    I am beginning to think it is leaving me.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

You are right echo-four, that we live in a Constitutional Republic. And you are right that the representatives we send to Washington make the decisions. That is the way it is supposed to work. And, it is the best system in the world. Proof of that is the fact that we, the American people are getting exactly what we deserve, rather than what we need and want. It is the old "reap what you sow" thing. We as a collective have been more interested in watching crap on Lifetime or American Idol or sports events on TV, rather than taking some of that time and educating ourselves about how the folks we,ve elected are really representing us, and then VOTING our convictions, rather than blindly pulling a lever or not voting at all. I'm not saying entertainment is bad, but you must get INVOLVED in what these people in Washington are doing. The ONLY thing they care about is re-election of themselves or their party. STOP what you are doing now, and immediately join NRA or some other gun rights group. I'm allready an NRA menber, and it is not time for me to renew, but I'm gonna enroll both of my stepsons today. That is the first thing you all need to do. We MUST show our represwntatives some real numbers, and real quick. Next, try to introduce at least two new people to the firearms sport in the next few days. PLEASE, get involved with this in some way, and PLREASE DO IT NOW!!

Donnie D
    Echo_Four and BugDude like this.
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

VIP Member
    FWIW during the November 2012 elections we had a pro-gun constitutional amendment on the ballot. This was not federal at all, it was amending/strengthing the RTKBA in the Louisiana Constitution.

It passed favorably with 73% of the votes. I don't know how this might reflect as a "poll" but it is at least a recent snapshot of the pulse of Louisiana voters. Are you listening Sen. Landrieu?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    At the present rate of decay, I believe that a poll that showed 99.9 % of Americans against an Assault Weapons ban would mean that we still end up with one anyway.
    Rock and Glock and BugDude like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

As several already stated, it doesn't matter what the public wants. They will push their agenda. If this was an election year they wouldn't be so bold, but it is another two years before even any House Reps come up, and a spread of two/four/six for Senators. The timing is bad for us.

mkh
    I think all the first time gun buyers going after assault weapons ( I hate that term) is proof that Americans don't want the ban.

I also think they are tired of people like Obama sending his kids to schools with armed guards and having body guards with guns or carrying guns themselves while trying to deny us the right to protect our families.

I also think that the Occupy movement though misguided has opened people's eyes and lowered their tolerance to the elitists wanting and getting everything but denying the common folks. We are going to experience a peasant uprising in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I hope this applies to any and all guns ......

See rest of story, charts and data..... at link.......

An unprecedented number of Americans support the right to own a handgun, despite the recent mass killings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., that have renewed the push for gun control.

Even with the killings in Newtown as a backdrop, a new Gallup poll shows 74 percent of Americans now support the right to possess a handgun, while just 24 percent would support a ban.

In fact, the Gallup poll is a near-perfect example of why passing gun control legislation will be difficult.
    Where have you been?
    For the last 6-8 years it has mattered not what the majority of Americans want or believe. Congress and the Senate do what they want NOT what we want.
    So long as WE let the minority elect mindless ideologs into the Senate, Congress and Executive seat we are DOOMED. Doomed to lose our "Rights" little by little.
    So long as those in the seats of legislation and judicial leadership make decisions based on "Emotions", "Elections" and "Power" what the average American or even the majority of Americans wants will remain irrelevant.

We MUST join together and change this or there will be no alternative but another revolution.

So SAD!
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior:

“A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship.”

John Adams, Founding Father and the nation’s second President warned “Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.”

I added the graphics:

Whatever happens with the AWB vote, we should look at who voted for it and give them the boot next election. I know I'll be watching.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

I just want to go on record that at the point I was born is when the favorable line below crossed above the unfavorable one. Coincidence????

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I added the graphics:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links