Bought a Gun and Killed Herself in Parking Lot of Gun Store

This is a discussion on Bought a Gun and Killed Herself in Parking Lot of Gun Store within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Who cares? Why is this national news? How something like this could possibly add fuel to the gun control fire shows what kind of pathetic ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Bought a Gun and Killed Herself in Parking Lot of Gun Store

Who cares? Why is this national news? How something like this could possibly add fuel to the gun control fire shows what kind of pathetic state the country is in.
    PEF likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That is debatable. There are studies that show that many folks have thought of suicide and if there was an easily avialbale way of doing it at the moment they would have. Yes, you could hang yourself, drive to a bridge or building, stick your head in an oven...but they do take away that impules of putting a gun to your head. Many times these happen while the person is on drugs on intoxicated. I can show you studies and you can show me studies.

I am NOT for waiting periods. But you can not unilaterally say that folks will always find another way of killing themselves. I knwo of a close friend that no matter what laws were in place he was going to kill himself..and he did. I also know of a person who would have killed herself if a gun was avialable to her. Fortunatley for her she was drunk and depressed and got help.
    I have had a couple of aquaintances kill themselves. And a ton that said they would have if " insert whatever you want here, gun, knife, someone came in, passed out,etc). I respectfully submit that if one truly wants to commit suicide they will, regardless of what is done. And also that if they are around telling you about it after the fact its very likely they would not have killed themselves anyway. JMO.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Normally as compared to what?

The only differrence that I have noticed is that women tend to shoot themselves in the heart...a man usually shoots himself in the head. Thats how the woman keeps from messing up her apperance.
    the USA, there are three particularly popular methods of successful suicide: firearms, suffocation (commonly carbon monoxide poisoning) and poisoning (commonly by drugs).

For women only 30% involve firearms leaving 70% for other methods with poisoning at 40% being the most popular. However it is done it is a tragic situation and if it wsa suicide id should not be trivialized.

Suicide method statistics in the USA | Lost All Hope: The web's leading suicide resource
    CanuckQue likes this.

A determined person, when they have made the decision to kill themselves, will do it no matter what. That is the sad and scary fact. We just don't know what is going on in the minds of some people. If we had that "crystal ball" to see inside then perhaps some of it could be stopped, but I even doubt that.

If indeed she committed suicide and used a gun, well, so what. A determined person will use whatever is available. It just happend to be a firearm and nobody can determine in advance what a person will use to kill themselves.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

It sounds bad for me to say this... But at least when she decided to take her life she didn't take others with hers.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    A pastor's wife bought a gun and used it to kill herself while still in the parking lot of the gun store. This happened in Texas.

This is from the article:

This person wanted to kill herself. A "waiting period" would have either made her change her method of suicide or would have just delayed her actions by the length of the "waiting period". There is no evidence which proves that a "waiting period" will prevent suicides.

The rest of the story here: Pastorís Wife Buys Gun From TX Shop ó And Shoots Herself Dead in the Parking Lot | TheBlaze.com
    I have no idea if this has ever been studied enough to make such a blanket statement. Common sense suggests
    that a waiting period might save some lives. It is a sure thing that in the interim some would find other ways, but some
    would get their butts to a psychiatrist too.

I won't advocate for a waiting period, but I think it is wrong without firm documentation to make the blanket assertion
    that a waiting period would not cut back on some suicides and some homicides.

Without more than the story presents, this incident might well have been an accident caused by an uninitiated untrained
    and naive person with no clue about gun safety. If so, it is a good example of why it might be worth considering
    some training requirement. Our LGS offers a 1 hour basic introductory course which is far from sufficient but better than
    nothing. The SCUBA industry has issued C cards for decades, and done it on a totally voluntary basis. We could
    do the same thing for novice gun purchasers. Government need not be involved.
    mkh likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Despair is a temporary mental condition. You can snap out of it. Severe depression is also a "temporary" mental condition, but it can take weeks (all the way to never) to snap out of it. The more pro-active someone has to be to kill themselves, the less likely they are to do it. This is one reason why suicide hotline counselors use "deals" with people that are thinking about it, they ask for a few favors and the process of doing the favors helps push away the despair.

I fully support her right to suicide, it's awful her 'best option' was to make such a mess.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: Bought a Gun and Killed Herself in Parking Lot of Gun Store

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Despair is a temporary mental condition. You can snap out of it. Severe depression is also a "temporary" mental condition, but it can take from weeks (all the way to never)

Temporary- all the way to never???? Never means its not temporary.

Depression is an illness just like cancer, some can "snap out of it some can not". Can you imagine telling someone with cancer to just "snap out of it"????

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    OD*, Hopyard and CanuckQue like this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Hence the scare quote. Severe depression can be temporary, is what I should have said.

I might have miscommunicated my feelings on the topic. I am extremely sympathetic to the blight that depression causes, and I know that a scary percentage of the disease cannot be ameliorated by any of our known interventions.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I have no idea if this has ever been studied enough to make such a blanket statement. Common sense suggests
    that a waiting period might save some lives. It is a sure thing that in the interim some would find other ways, but some
    would get their butts to a psychiatrist too.

I won't advocate for a waiting period, but I think it is wrong without firm documentation to make the blanket assertion
    that a waiting period would not cut back on some suicides and some homicides.

Without more than the story presents, this incident might well have been an accident caused by an uninitiated untrained
    and naive person with no clue about gun safety. If so, it is a good example of why it might be worth considering
    some training requirement. Our LGS offers a 1 hour basic introductory course which is far from sufficient but better than
    nothing. The SCUBA industry has issued C cards for decades, and done it on a totally voluntary basis. We could
    There is no evidence which proves that a "waiting period" will prevent suicides.
    Instead of unsubstantiated speculation, can you offer any evidence which will prove that a waiting period will prevent suicides? You are trying to use "common sense" behaviors to support irrational thoughts and irrational behaviors.

A waiting period might have prevented her from using a newly purchased gun to commit suicide, but there is no evidence which proves it would have prevented her from committing suicide by some other means and we will never know what would have happened if she wasn't able to get her hands on a new gun that day.

If you don't know that someone is intent on killing themselves, you won't be able to prevent it from happening.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

So, who is going to bang the drum on the availability of access to mental health vs "blame the gun! Blame the gun!"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Normally as compared to what?

The only differrence that I have noticed is that women tend to shoot themselves in the heart...a man usually shoots himself in the head. Thats how the woman keeps from messing up her apperance.
    Correct. Most women go for body shot vs a shot to the head.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

It is to soon to ask, if I can buy the used gun?
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The SCUBA industry has issued C cards for decades, and done it on a totally voluntary basis. We could
    That is actually a good comparison as to keeping the gov't out of someone's business, but in regards to guns--the cat's already out of the bag.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That is actually a good comparison as to keeping the gov't out of someone's business, but in regards to guns--the cat's already out of the bag.
    There is nothing to stop gun dealers from coming to a deal amongst themselves that they won't sell to folks who have had
    zero training. Yes, there are lots of folks who own guns with zero training, and that cat is out of the bag, but we can fix things
    going forward--- and it would be a revenue stream for the LGS as well. The manufacturers could get behind a movement to
    do something like the C card. It was the SCUBA manufacturers and the YMCA that initiated that concept for diving gear.

Range owners could also easily choose to put some minimum training requirement on entry. The devil of course is in the details.
    What standards. With SCUBA it is well, probably won't drown or get the bends or an embolism. The card comes with after a dive test swim in open water.

There is no reason short of will and desire why something similar couldn't be instituted for new gun buyers; no "C" card, no sale.
    Legally that is no different than no shoes, no shirt, no service.

Again, the beauty of such an arrangement is that government could be and would be cut completely out of the loop. Hence
    no constitutional or legal issues.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links