Helpful home invader...

This is a discussion on Helpful home invader... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...Gives sound advice to victims. After traumatizing, tasing, and holding guns on them. Told 'em "you should have a dog." Story here: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=8938695...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By tcox4freedom
  • 2 Post By Tala
  • 4 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By shadow247
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Truckinbutch

Thread: Helpful home invader...

Helpful home invader...

...Gives sound advice to victims.

After traumatizing, tasing, and holding guns on them.

Told 'em "you should have a dog."

Story here: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=8938695
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Yep, that's why I have three.
    mano3 likes this.

I have a dog . I'm thinking of stocking a flock of Guinea Fowl for first line security to wake the dog up . Nothing moves at night without them talking about it enough to wake the dog and me . Bug control , good eating , and security ............. Hard to beat in my rural setting . Not recommended for folks with close neighbors .

I'm not sure a dog would help much against an ARMED burgalar. I see them as excellet deterrents against kids and opportunists, but a thug with a taser and a gun? Don't think the dog would have been a challenge for him :( but possibly could have bought them some advanced warning.
    Advanced warning without firepower to back it up still isn't much good. You could call the cops earlier, but they're still minutes away, in this case the arrival of the cops could have turned into a hostage situation or possibly made things worse. I'm a firm believer in dogs as an excellent part of your defensive system, but a dog alone is not enough.
    oakchas and tcox4freedom like this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Re: Helpful home invader...

You're right of course. At least short of a properly trained guard/attack dog.

But, as an early warning, and sorry to say it, a speed bump, dogs are hard to beat.

But don't lose a loyal dog's life in vain, retaliate for the loss of a brave companion.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

I have a small dog that barks at the drop of a hat. That tells me to get my gun. So yes a dog is a good thing.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I'm not sure a dog would help much against an ARMED burgalar. I see them as excellet deterrents against kids and opportunists, but a thug with a taser and a gun? Don't think the dog would have been a challenge for him :( but possibly could have bought them some advanced warning.
    Advanced warning without firepower to back it up still isn't much good. You could call the cops earlier, but they're still minutes away, in this case the arrival of the cops could have turned into a hostage situation or possibly made things worse. I'm a firm believer in dogs as an excellent part of your defensive system, but a dog alone is not enough.
    I have two APBT's that can disarm someone faster than they can blink. (Disarming someone is not the same as attacking.) My dogs take the weapon away; then control the BG. They've been trained on firearm (pistol & long gun), knife and club disarms.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    You're right of course. At least short of a properly trained guard/attack dog.

But, as an early warning, and sorry to say it, a speed bump, dogs are hard to beat.

But don't lose a loyal dog's life in vain, retaliate for the loss of a brave companion.
    They may get killed in the process of protecting us. But, if they do, you can bet I'll take out their killers with EXTREME prejudice!

My Dog dies you and every one with you dies, One sided storys tell better..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill340 View Post
    My Dog dies you and every one with you dies, One sided storys tell better..
    Same here. I love my little JackRat. She is my loyal companion, and I know that she would fiercely protect me from intruders. I know this to be true because anytime the doorbell rings or someone even comes up the front steps, she gets into an aggressive position and tries to get between me and the door. At night she sleeps within inches of us, and wakes at the slightest sound of intrusion. I can't even stay out late because she will raise holy hell if she is asleep with my wife and I come in the door.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

I drove a semi for 22 yrs. cross country. All sorts of neighborhoods sleeping in the truck bad motels you name it. Pizza delivery would not deliver pizza to our terminal in Birmingham and police would not answer calls until day break in that area.
    I carried two dogs over that time in my trucks. Both rottys. I trained both. Neither would take a hamburger from anyone but me.
    Of all the dogs ive owned and ive owned a lot only one I really trusted to make much difference if someone was that intent on attacking me. A small German Rott runt of the litter. He lived to attack and nothing else. But he was silent sneaky and fearless. No bark, no growl, actually hiding until he got his target where he wanted them which was normally opening a truck door or breaking a window and then going for the throat. No arms legs controlling anything. He intended to kill whatever he went after. He was never away from my side. Never ran free except on a 30 foot lunge line to play with me. Saved my hide several times. Other than him any other dog Ive ever owned attack trained or not was helpful but nothing I would trust my life too.
    My heart attack in montana in the truck the biggest problem EMS and Police had was they could not get me out of the truck because of him. Couldnt shoot him for fear of hitting me as he laid across me. I finally got myself out until they could reach me. Left the truck and air on and a truck stop waitress fed and watered him thru a crack in the window to keep him alive until I was released. I miss that dog.
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I drove a semi for 22 yrs. cross country. All sorts of neighborhoods sleeping in the truck bad motels you name it. Pizza delivery would not deliver pizza to our terminal in Birmingham and police would not answer calls until day break in that area.
    I carried two dogs over that time in my trucks. Both rottys. I trained both. Neither would take a hamburger from anyone but me.
    Of all the dogs ive owned and ive owned a lot only one I really trusted to make much difference if someone was that intent on attacking me. A small German Rott runt of the litter. He lived to attack and nothing else. But he was silent sneaky and fearless. No bark, no growl, actually hiding until he got his target where he wanted them which was normally opening a truck door or breaking a window and then going for the throat. No arms legs controlling anything. He intended to kill whatever he went after. He was never away from my side. Never ran free except on a 30 foot lunge line to play with me. Saved my hide several times. Other than him any other dog Ive ever owned attack trained or not was helpful but nothing I would trust my life too.
    My heart attack in montana in the truck the biggest problem EMS and Police had was they could not get me out of the truck because of him. Couldnt shoot him for fear of hitting me as he laid across me. I finally got myself out until they could reach me. Left the truck and air on and a truck stop waitress fed and watered him thru a crack in the window to keep him alive until I was released. I miss that dog.
    Been there ,done that, except for the heart attack on the road , If I was unfortunate enough to have to overnight in 'Smoke' I locked the doors after I threw a wad of tissues and an unrolled condom on the ground beside the driver's door . Then my .45 1911 and I went to bed locked and loaded .
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinbutch View Post
    Been there ,done that, except for the heart attack on the road , If I was unfortunate enough to have to overnight in 'Smoke' I locked the doors after I threw a wad of tissues and an unrolled condom on the ground beside the driver's door . Then my .45 1911 and I went to bed locked and loaded .
    Ah lot lizard repellant LOL. I just tossed one of the wifes bras and panties up on the dash where they could be seen. Up until the last couple of years that worked. Last two years I was out seemed they figured they might interest a wife
    E. ST Louis the old Getty truck stop was one of the worst for years for the lizards. Ah well gotta make a livin I guess LOL

Links