Grand Slam - Page 4

Grand Slam

This is a discussion on Grand Slam within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dang! It me longer to get my last order from our Denny's than it did for that Denny's to change their "policy".......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Grand Slam

Dang! It me longer to get my last order from our Denny's than it did for that Denny's to change their "policy"....
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I read about this earlier,had to read it twice,unbelievable. I have not been to Denny's in years,most in our area are trashy. Now I have a better reason to stay away.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Let's see:
    Police: 911, what's your emergency?
    Denny's: This is the Belleville Denny's manager. There's someone in the restaurant robbing us.
    Police: Did you tell him to take his gun outside or leave?
    Denny's: Uh-no I didn't. Can you send someone quickly?
    Police: There are two plainclothes detectives outside the restaurant right now but they're not allowed in armed-remember?
    Denny's: I'm sorry about that. They can come in.
    Police: You hurt their feelings so they're not. Uniformed officers will be there in 35 minutes. Goodbye.
    Sarge65, Jetfuelrm and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    When I was a LEO I refrained from eating in those places whenever possible. Seemed like I would place my order then look up to see a cook I had either had trouble with during an arrest or had actually put in prison. I didn't want them near my food for obvious reasons. Diners like that worked a good many work release inmates as cooks.
    On a side note my department, like many others in our area, had regulations against plain clothes officers exposing their sidearms in public. This was the policy of my department prior to my retirement in 1999. It's really not a bad policy.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    When I was a LEO I refrained from eating in those places whenever possible. Seemed like I would place my order then look up to see a cook I had either had trouble with during an arrest or had actually put in prison. I didn't want them near my food for obvious reasons. Diners like that worked a good many work release inmates as cooks.
    On a side note my department, like many others in our area, had regulations against plain clothes officers exposing their sidearms in public. This was the policy of my department prior to my retirement in 1999. It's really not a bad policy.
    this is why I don't go to restaurants in uniform.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Frankly,I don't think this happened because it was in IL.
    As shown by the civil rights law suit of a few years ago,the people Denny's hires as managers are often really STUPID.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Who's bright idea was it to eat at Denny's in the first place? I'd rather eat lunch out of a gas station dumpster anyway.
    X2 or X3.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Denny's is still in business? The ones in my immediate area closed their doors years ago, could not compete with IHOP or the Southern Kitchen, Denny's poor service was also a factor.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I think we are putting a dim light on our LEO's even tho they may have been asked to leave Dennys the majority of those Officers if not 100% of them will respond to any crime in progress just like they would at any other establishment.They may not like it,but they will not allow it to hinder their professionalism.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Any bets on 911 response-time to that address?
    Probably somewhat slower than it once was.

And whatever else can be said, effective response is going to be far slower than already having an armed officer inside. A "gun-free zone" by any other name will "smell" just as "sweet." (Read: it'll be less-protected.)

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What happened is somewhat a tad humorous...... No matter what you think of Denny's what happened is not corporate policy. All it was an inept manager trying to appease the customer that complained.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Yeah, quite so. We often have a manager object to a mom breastfeeding her baby, and then after a storm of protest, the owners of the location will apologise.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Here in NY. There are list of places that are off limit for sure.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    What happened is somewhat a tad humorous...... No matter what you think of Denny's what happened is not corporate policy. All it was an inept manager trying to appease the customer that complained.
    I think I'd be more concerned with appeasing someone with a gun!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you're concerned about appeasing someone because they have a gun, then I suggest that the presence of that gun is inappropriate*.

*certain hypotheticals excepted. If your hypothetical counter results in a "er, yeah, of course" comeback, then it's obviously excepted.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links