Woman shoots 6 month old baby, self

This is a discussion on Woman shoots 6 month old baby, self within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm heartbroken over this story - apparently the mother posted on Facebook that she was going to shoot him and herself - family members saw ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Woman shoots 6 month old baby, self

Woman shoots 6 month old baby, self

I'm heartbroken over this story - apparently the mother posted on Facebook that she was going to shoot him and herself - family members saw the post and called deputies. When deputies arrived they found both with gunshot wounds - the baby died, mom is in critical condition.

What I don't understand is the mother was arrested right before Christmas for beating her boyfriend with a baseball bat and bit him in the chest while he was moving out. Why did she still have custody of the baby?! Even if he was temporarily removed by DCF he'd still be alive.

Deputies: Mother killed baby, shot self in Ocala | News - Home

2. Remove Ads

This is indeed tragic and something I will never understand.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    What I don't understand is the mother was arrested right before Christmas for beating her boyfriend with a baseball bat and bit him in the chest while he was moving out. Why did she still have custody of the baby?! Even if he was temporarily removed by DCF he'd still be alive.

Deputies: Mother killed baby, shot self in Ocala | News - Home
    Not being sexist about it, but within our educational and judicial systems, the pendulum has swung well past its intended target and now overwhelmingly favors the female gender. If you look at statistics of contested kid custody cases, it's hard to see that there isn't a built-in predisposition to favor the mom. Of course we don't know the details in this case, maybe there were orders of protection in place or being sought, but clearly the kid wound up with an unstable parent and paid dearly for someone's bad decision. Guns and the NRA are not to blame, but you know they will be.
    Cold Shot and Jeanlouise like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Why? Because the insane are just plain crazy.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not being sexist about it, but within our educational and judicial systems, the pendulum has swung well past its intended target and now overwhelmingly favors the female gender. If you look at statistics of contested kid custody cases, it's hard to see that there isn't a built-in predisposition to favor the mom. Of course we don't know the details in this case, maybe there were orders of protection in place or being sought, but clearly the kid wound up with an unstable parent and paid dearly for someone's bad decision. Guns and the NRA is not to blame, but you know they will be.
    It's a large problem. It's ok that you hold back, but I would surmise that your true feelings are actually correct.

Distinguished Member
    Very sad.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Links