Woman defends herself and children - Criminal shot 5 times and lives

This is a discussion on Woman defends herself and children - Criminal shot 5 times and lives within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by HeadHunter " 'She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six [sic] rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Woman defends herself and children - Criminal shot 5 times and lives

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    " 'She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six [sic] rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting,' Chapman said."

Doesn't sound very threatening at that point to me.
    I've seen people pretending to be defeated/giving up until they think they can attack and then re-engage so until they are cuffed they are a threat,sounds like she is lucky he wasn't armed and able to fire back or there could have been a problem.
    This is why practice is important,Unless all she saw was his head,she should have been aiming for the chest,lot bigger target and less chance of missing
    DPro.40 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I just wish the mom had a semi-auto....bad guy was still moving, and a threat after 6 rounds. Otherwise, good shooting...just need to tighten up the shot group
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I agree SIGguy. If the guy had had a gun to shoot back, or if after she ran out of bullets, he would have realized it, she could have been in trouble. Good thing that he wasn't armed, or that when she ran out of bullets, he didn't realize she was empty. He could have used that to his advantage, doomed as he was.

Another example of why shot placement it key. But you'd think, shot 5 times in face and neck, something serious would have been hit.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Quote from the article:

Deputies arrested 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slater in connection with the crime. Chapman said they found him on the ground saying, "Help me. I'm close to dying." Slater was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment. His condition is unclear, but Chapman said he was shot in the face and neck.

With any luck, he is correct and will expire in the hospital. It would be an excellent time for a medical mistake.

I was thinking maybe the ambulance driver could have turned off the lights and siren and got lost on the way to the hospital.

soada101 likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    But you'd think, shot 5 times in face and neck, something serious would have been hit.

Probably not. Only skin, hair and an empty skull.
    babarock likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    From article;
    In February, Slater was arrested on simple battery charges, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office. He has been arrested six other times in the county since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ^^^^ This is the big takeaway. What's wrong with this picture?
    Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    5 shots to the face and neck and then leaves the scene... Tell me again Obama, how many rounds do I "need" in my magazine.

She is fortunate the intruder was not armed and that he was alone. Good for her though!

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^
    Was going to quote the same sentence gasmitty, guy should have never been there.
    And she was VERY lucky he was alone and unarmed.
    Shows you how determined he was, they(the family) were hiding in an attic when the shooting started. If he was just there to steal electronics and such, why was he snooping around up there?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I've seen people pretending to be defeated/giving up until they think they can attack and then re-engage so until they are cuffed they are a threat,sounds like she is lucky he wasn't armed and able to fire back or there could have been a problem.
    This is why practice is important,Unless all she saw was his head,she should have been aiming for the chest,lot bigger target and less chance of missing

^^^^The article was very misleading^^^^^^

Below at the bottom this is what it also said about his wounds;

Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri learned from Chapman late Friday night that slater has been placed on a ventilator and suffers from punctured lungs, a punctured liver and a punctured stomach.
    end quote

Who knows?
    Bad bullet selection, or just a tough adversary who is just proving that the combination of caliber, bullet selection AND the placement of those bullets, are ALL critical to taking the threat out of the fight.
    They basically did their job, sort of, and the scumbag would have succumbed to the wounds in a matter of minutes, had they not got an ambulance there when they did.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

" 'She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six [sic] rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting,' Chapman said."Doesn't sound very threatening at that point to me.
    I say too bad the loser was able to speak at all. Should've been dead after the first round or two and save this world the trouble and money for medical and judicial cost. Sorry piece of trash has been arrested several times and it's obvious he's a career criminal. I'm glad she and her family are all okay, but I wish she was a better shot and had put this trash down for good. When the tide starts to turn in favor of the innocent, maybe these thugs will start to fear breaking in on people.

You used to hear a lot about muggers and car jacks, now every news cast has a case or two of home invasions. I'd like to hear every one of um end with the invaders shot and killed, then just maybe these low life scumbags will start to fear the unknown and decide to avoid the possibility of being shot to death. I hope her and her kids are not traumatized by the ordeal, but I'm glad that once more the good guys come out on top.
    DPro.40 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Plus one vote. Bump that .38 to .357 180 grain hollow point. No medical bills to submit for payment. Good for her. She obviously didn't panic as her shot placement hit some vital goodies.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Yet another argument for the superior 230 GR JHP in .45ACP. I rest my case.
    bseal and DPro.40 like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Good for her. Doesn't say what kind of ammo was used. I'm curious.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I am glad the woman had the means to protect herself and her family...good for her. I think every one of those shots must have only grazed the bad guy. The bottom line is, the gun did its job and provided protection.

" 'She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six [sic] rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting,' Chapman said."

Doesn't sound very threatening at that point to me.
    If you are in my house uninvited, awake and breathing you are considered a threat. This POS still walked out of the house. He was most definately still a threat.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Five out of six shots on target, using the only thing she had at had? Way to go, Mom!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Are you sure this really happened? I couldn't find anything about this on MSNBC or CNN
    And you won't. This was a positive firearm experience that the antis don't want publicized.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My wife much prefers the Mossberg 12 ga Persuader as her go to gun for HD loaded with 00 buck and her LCR as the back up.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links