Woman defends herself and children - Criminal shot 5 times and lives - Page 3

Woman defends herself and children - Criminal shot 5 times and lives

This is a discussion on Woman defends herself and children - Criminal shot 5 times and lives within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Brady Good for her. Doesn't say what kind of ammo was used. I'm curious. 5 entry wounds ; both lungs , liver ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Woman defends herself and children - Criminal shot 5 times and lives

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Good for her. Doesn't say what kind of ammo was used. I'm curious.
    5 entry wounds ; both lungs , liver and stomach punctured . 4 exit wounds : I'd guess hardball .

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Plus one vote. Bump that .38 to .357 180 grain hollow point. No medical bills to submit for payment. Good for her. She obviously didn't panic as her shot placement hit some vital goodies.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Yet another argument for the superior 230 GR JHP in .45ACP. I rest my case.
    Handguns are just that - small, convenient, easily concealed firearms that can be fired with one hand. They are not magical death rays. You can find plenty of failures to stop with any caliber. And in this case, the threat WAS stopped - she was able to get away from harm, and kept her children safe. Whether this criminal lives or dies is completely irrelevant.

I always carry a BUG, and would especially recommend same for anyone who carries a low-capacity primary. Gotta like the "NY reload."
    oneshot likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Sounds like someone needs to gift her a 12 ga. pump or a 15 shot 9mm! Had she had either of those, the BG might not have had quite the same staying power.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Cops: Mother of two surprises intruder with five gunshots | www.ajc.com

Thus was the article I found. Didn't see or hear anything about get standing over him. Glad that she was able to protect her family. I did hear the husband was called and he listen to the entire deal but I can't verify that portion .

#1. Mother and children are not hurt - that means that things turned out well.

#2. Mother put five rounds on target and stopped the threat - so she very definitely did well. Bravo Zulu!

#3. We can post all day about shoulda woulda coulda, and claim that our .752 Winchahoozle ultra magnum long-slide loaded with Glassington Terminatrix pitbull hollow base super-expanding frangible maxi-slugs would have killed the badguy and his twelve gang buddies through eight inches of cement....but the lady in question picked up the weapon that she had at hand and effectively put rounds on the target until the threat stopped. Does anything else really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Handguns are just that - small, convenient, easily concealed firearms that can be fired with one hand. They are not magical death rays. You can find plenty of failures to stop with any caliber. And in this case, the threat WAS stopped - she was able to get away from harm, and kept her children safe. Whether this criminal lives or dies is completely irrelevant.

I always carry a BUG, and would especially recommend same for anyone who carries a low-capacity primary. Gotta like the "NY reload."
    Im sure I know what a hand gun is. Answer this forself, Why do you need a Bug if it doesn't matter if the criminal lives or dies. If your intent is only to stop a threat, why not just run away? Do you really believe what your saying? If you run out of ammo on your low capacity primary and you pull your bug what are you really saying. If their in my house its my call to decide what's revelent. You can do what you want in your own. If their in my house they didn't come for small talk or tea and I promise that's not what they will come away with. My Dad always taught me don't pull it if you don't mean to use it and if you do pull it then shoot to mean it. I see no room to decide if I'm going to be a humanitarian while dispatching someone who means me harm. Besides, I don't need to have them file a lawsuit against me because our wonderful justice system would allow such junk. If you want to judge because I would shoot to kill then you have questions you need to ask yourself. i've already resolved those questions for myself. I'm sick of this always being politically correct to those that's waste good air. Lets get this straight so we can put aside debate, im not a huminaritarian and I'll never earn a Nobel Peace Prize. I don't try and pretend Im anything else. Thats my position on whats revelent, like it or leave it. Doen't mater to me. Now I'll get off my soap box.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I believe in protecting me and my family and to remove any possibility of doubt in any shooting incident that i am in there will only be one person that will be able to make a statement to the investigators, me.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I believe in protecting me and my family and to remove any possibility of doubt in any shooting incident that i am in there will only be one person that will be able to make a statement to the investigators, me.
    Probably not a statement that should be made in a public forum....

well at least one media outlet reported it as expected....she took it into her own hands and apparently was just a trigger happy redneck looking to off some poor innocent burglar. You can't make this kind of reporting up.

Trigger-happy Atlanta mom shoots intruder in the face 5 times | OMG! Ghana

Trigger-happy Atlanta mom shoots intruder in the face 5 times
    posted January 6, 2013 /

An Atlanta mom took matters into her own trigger-happy hands on Friday when confronting an intruder. The unidentified woman hid with her 9-year-old twins in a crawlspace as a man broke into her house and began rummaging through it. The alleged burglar, Paul Ali Slater, eventually found the family’s hiding space, but not before finding himself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver. The woman fired six shots, five of which hit Slater in the face and neck, but he managed to flee after the family ran to a neighbor’s house. Slater is expected to survive. This story, shared thousands of times from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution website, has incited some pro-gun tweeps to voice their delight; @Jennecar writes of the story, “why we need guns in our homes!” And @kjclt1 writes, “bet this Atlanta area mother of 2 is glad she had her gun.”

the media just can't stand it when someone protects their own life instead of being the good little victim. I guess its more fun to report: " Defenseless Mother and kids murdered by intruder"

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

ArmedLady
    Im so glad this woman was so brave and faced down the BG.

I've read that you should let people know you are home when they ring the doorbell without opening the door. BG's test to see if anyone is home before they Make entry. They say they are likely to move on, if they know the house is occupied. In this case, I wonder if he would have moved on?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    well at least one media outlet reported it as expected....she took it into her own hands and apparently was just a trigger happy redneck looking to off some poor innocent burglar. You can't make this kind of reporting up.

Trigger-happy Atlanta mom shoots intruder in the face 5 times | OMG! Ghana

Trigger-happy Atlanta mom shoots intruder in the face 5 times
    posted January 6, 2013 /

An Atlanta mom took matters into her own trigger-happy hands on Friday when confronting an intruder. The unidentified woman hid with her 9-year-old twins in a crawlspace as a man broke into her house and began rummaging through it. The alleged burglar, Paul Ali Slater, eventually found the family’s hiding space, but not before finding himself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver. The woman fired six shots, five of which hit Slater in the face and neck, but he managed to flee after the family ran to a neighbor’s house. Slater is expected to survive. This story, shared thousands of times from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution website, has incited some pro-gun tweeps to voice their delight; @Jennecar writes of the story, “why we need guns in our homes!” And @kjclt1 writes, “bet this Atlanta area mother of 2 is glad she had her gun.”

the media just can't stand it when someone protects their own life instead of being the good little victim. I guess its more fun to report: " Defenseless Mother and kids murdered by intruder"

I guess they must hire "writers" for some skill other than writing...

The alleged burglar, Paul Ali Slater, eventually found the family’s hiding space, but not before finding himself staring down the barrel of a .38 revolver.
    Ummm, no. He found their hiding place first, then he found himself staring down the barrel of the .38. Since she was holding the weapon and she was hiding, it would be impossible for him to be staring at the barrel before he finds the person holding it. Go back to grade school and ask for a refund.

Seriously, what should you expect from a website that has this as one of their first links:
    Submit News / Get Publised!
    Publised... Really.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Im sure I know what a hand gun is. Answer this forself, Why do you need a Bug if it doesn't matter if the criminal lives or dies.

I carry a BUG for many reasons. To arm my wife if necessary. For off-side access. In case my primary malfunctions. In case my primary runs dry. Etc. Nothing to do about whether the criminal lives or dies. Legally, we shoot to stop the threat. Any more than that, and you cross the line from justifiable self defense, to murder.

If your intent is only to stop a threat, why not just run away?

Because I cannot run as fast as a young thug can. Especially with young children in tow.

Do you really believe what your saying?

Um...yes. Sounds like you really need to study self defense law, before you get yourself in trouble.

If you run out of ammo on your low capacity primary and you pull your bug what are you really saying.

If my primary runs dry and the threat is still a threat, I am justified in continuing to address the threat. Simple.

If their in my house its my call to decide what's revelent. You can do what you want in your own. If their in my house they didn't come for small talk or tea and I promise that's not what they will come away with. My Dad always taught me don't pull it if you don't mean to use it and if you do pull it then shoot to mean it. I see no room to decide if I'm going to be a humanitarian while dispatching someone who means me harm. Besides, I don't need to have them file a lawsuit against me because our wonderful justice system would allow such junk. If you want to judge because I would shoot to kill then you have questions you need to ask yourself. i've already resolved those questions for myself. I'm sick of this always being politically correct to those that's waste good air. Lets get this straight so we can put aside debate, im not a huminaritarian and I'll never earn a Nobel Peace Prize. I don't try and pretend Im anything else. Thats my position on whats revelent, like it or leave it. Doen't mater to me. Now I'll get off my soap box.

Again, once the threat is over, as determined by the "reasonable person" standard, then you are NOT legally justified in continuing to shoot. Seriously, you need to get some training. I would recommend anything by Mas Ayoob. You may also want to join the ACLDN (see my sig).

BTW - The decision to draw a weapon is one decision. The decision to fire it MUST be a separate decision. If not, you might shoot someone in the back as they turn to run away - and you could then end up in some deep legal trouble afterwards. Remember - the vast majority of the time a gun is drawn in defense, it is NOT actually fired.

Stay safe.

My comments in bold.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    My comments in bold.
    I'm sure i'll be fine. Thanks. Not that i feel i need the training, US Government has already provided a great deal but it would be fun to go through a tatical room to room course. I am aware of the Castle Law Doctrine in my state. Again, thanks
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Where are all the .380 guys?

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    " 'She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six [sic] rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting,' Chapman said."

Doesn't sound very threatening at that point to me.
    Is he moving? He is still a threat!
    DPro.40 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links