Seattle announces gun buy back! Can we get in on it?

This is a discussion on Seattle announces gun buy back! Can we get in on it? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wonder if they will run a gun buy-back in Austin. I have a few GSOs (Gun Shaped Objects) I'd sell for $100. I could really ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Seattle announces gun buy back! Can we get in on it?

Wonder if they will run a gun buy-back in Austin. I have a few GSOs (Gun Shaped Objects) I'd sell for $100. I could really use the money to buy parts for my AR build.

2. Remove Ads

That's what I was thinking. Maybe scour the flea markets & gun shows for $25-50 junkers and double (quadruple?) my money. That's lots better than my 401K's been doing.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Boy I sure wish I could participate, got a few very collectible guns to turn in. A Rohm, two Jennings and few other fine guns. LOL.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Wish we would have a buy back. I have a couple of broken rusty old single barrel shotguns that aren't safe shoot that I would just love to get something for!

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    City, county announce new gun buyback program | www.kirotv.com

They will offer $100 Amazon gift cards for rifle, shotgun or handgun, and $200 gift cards for assault weapons. And I think this means actual assault weapons.

Does anyone know of any legal president or laws against hanging out on the sidewalk in fron of this place with a wad of cash offering more than what the city is offering? I'm sure you could score some pretty sweet deals, and people always like cash more than gift cards, especially when you are offering more.

What do you guys think? See any of you there?
    buy back a gun for less than half of what I paid for it? Ha. who is stupid enough to do that. Not me. What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    You probably need a permit to buy a weapon in Seattle.

$200 gift card from Amazon! Now the gang bangers can all get a Kindle. Sweet.
    I once worked for Warshall's on the corner of First and Madison. Anybody remember them?
    As Far as I know, no permit required to purchase. Wa residents have no trouble buying from an individual. Just go to a Dealer with the seller, do your paperwork.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I just have to ask, how does one buy something BACK that they didn't own in the first place??
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

cj
    Buy up all the used HiPoints you can. Shoot, the 'assault rifle' value is high enough to make a profit flipping a carbine!

Well, for the right gun I'd go as high as $300!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

No permit or paperwork of any kind required for ptp transfer in WA state

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    That's the thing. There was a study done after the last Seattle buyback, a few decades ago, and it showed 0 impact on crime whatsoever. But that doesn't stop them from trying it again. And if Seattle had their way, there would be a permit required to buy a gun, but the State has preemption, and has already smacked the city down telling them so last year. The liberals are trying to change that now, but for now, we are good.
    I would love to see this study. Got a reference?

As for the legality, I"m not an LEO or JD, but it seems to me that if you can skip a background check by having a CPL, I can't think of any reason why it would be illegal to do what you've poposed.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Found the study: Money for guns: evaluation of the Seattle Gun Buy-Back Program.

Findings: "Comparing firearm-related events per month before and after the program, crimes and deaths increased, and injuries decreased, but the changes were not statistically significant."

Hmmmm.... I guess it makes folks feel good at least.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

The critical part of the announcement:

---------------
    Participants need not worry about being accused. Police said they won't take photos or record license plates. No ballistics tests will be conducted on the weapons.

"This isn't a trick, and this isn't a sting. Whether you're turning an anti-tank missile launcher you 'found' in your basement, or your Gammie's old .45, the buyback is anonymous with no questions asked," the police department said in a statement.

The department will check to see if any of the guns are reported stolen and return those to the owners.
    --------------------

So, here’s what I wrote to some friends here in Seattle when this was announced…what if I take a couple of my old .22 rifles (worth about $60 each according to GunBroker), report them as stolen, let a few weeks go by, then take them into the buyback program. Will I get $100 for each rifle I turn in (anonymous, no questions asked), then have them returned to me by the police (because they were stolen)? Cool; $200 in gift cards that I could use for laser sights or scopes from Amazon, and the rifles back…That’s how I read it.

Of course, I would NEVER suggest that anyone actually do that...

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Wow a whole $200 gift card where do we sign up?
    Yeah wow, a whole $200 dollars for a gun that was probably $500+

The guns' serial numbers will be run to see if they are stolen. If so, police will try to contact the owner and see what they want to do with the gun.

Report gun stolen. Turn in said gun, get gift card. Gun gets SN checked, PD contacts you about it being stolen. You demand it back. Repeat 100000x.

"False report" be damned!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links