WH now considering funding Police in schools

This is a discussion on WH now considering funding Police in schools within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; White House may consider funding for police in schools after Newtown - The Washington Post So, when the NRA proposed this all of the liberals ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: WH now considering funding Police in schools

White House may consider funding for police in schools after Newtown - The Washington Post

So, when the NRA proposed this all of the liberals lashed out and called it stupid. Now that one of the Democrats has suggested it, it suddenly become something worth considering...and some calling a good idea.

I think it is a political chess move. They will include it in their plan so that they can say they listened and acted on the NRA's recommendation, BUT they will severely under-fund it (since it would be voluntary) and the impact severely diluted. The administration will use it as negotiating leverage with conservatives to push the AWB and mag capacity limit.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Link above is comments only... Here is the link to article
    White House may consider funding for police in schools after Newtown - The Washington Post

How ironic.... Seems the White House is just as "crazy" as the NRA........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

We have them, so nothing new here.

A town here that has always been "very" liberal.... and anti-gun, the school board tried to pass having them a few years ago, (armed SO's at schools, who are certified LEO's)... and there was a BIG public outcry about it . They approved 1 for the HS and 1 for the middle school, and the "public" was mad as could be about them even doing that.

This week....in their School Board meeting ... they discussed a proposal to 'add armed SO's ' at all schools. No public outcry, not a word spoken against it, and they passed it 6-0. So, even some liberals are understanding the rationale behind it.

Around here, even the most liberal are wavering now ... and warming up to getting rid of Gun Free Zones.
    BugDude likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar

Re: WH now considering funding Police in schools

"What seems like a rational solution of let’s have more security in our schools is really the NRA argument — that you fight guns with guns,” said Judith Browne Dianis, co-director of the Advancement Project. “
    So what do you fight with when a BG enters a GFZ and he is the only one with a gun??? Your life???? You can fight for your life all you want but still hard to do when you are overmatched. This type of "logic" is dumbfounding.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    So what do you fight with when a BG enters a GFZ and he is the only one with a gun??? Your life???? You can fight for your life all you want but still hard to do when you are overmatched. This type of "logic" is dumbfounding.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2.
    They believe in "survival of the fittest" ..... he who can run the fastest, has less chances of getting shot. Or, dangit... just be a 'good victim'...
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This is the same white house that cut federal funding for school security.

IMO...............this administration will do whatever it takes to keep the people off ballance....a political shirade.....untill they finally get caught in the cookie jar.
    In the wake of the NRA's comments after Biden's meeting they have to show they're willing to do something....even if they are against it.....Diversionary Tactic.....at best.

Liars and hypocrites to the bitter end.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

Chess move, probably. So long as it's grossly underfunded and poorly considered, absolutely. So long as all that's done is a whitewash approach to beefing up security, absolutely.

Seems clear to me that any high school that can afford ~30 faculty members can certainly afford 1 armed security person, or even to open up the field for supporting training/arming any of its qualified faculty.

But with the typically-smaller grade schools, it's going to be much tougher to afford (at the local/state level). Which is why, at least IMO, it makes so much sense to work hard to train/arm qualified faculty and staff who are otherwise CHL folks.

I also hope design/facility changes get top-shelf consideration as well. It's utterly senseless, to me, how any K-12 facility can allow easy, walk-in access to anyone off the street who simply avoids going through the primary admin door, or anyone who offers up even a modicum of force to gain entry. There's no reason why school rooms need be unlocked during classroom hours; no reason why outside doors are unlocked/open except from the inside and during monitored/controlled reentry; no reason why doors/windows aren't heavy enough to seriously impede forcible entry from the average angry assailant. This area will take funding, yes, but doing nothing in these areas (as evidence by altogether too many schools I've seen) only helps the problem of easy access persist.

Hopefully these policy folks will open their eyes, ears and minds to concepts having a chance of making a practical difference, and elements having a practical chance at getting to the root cause (mental health, records/reporting, people's ability to defend themselves/others when S does HTF).
    Brad426 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    We need to let our Republican brethren know that if they go over to the anti gun side, we will not be there for them when they need us.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    We need to let our Republican brethren know that if they go over to the anti gun side, we will not be there for them when they need us.
    Haven't used those two words together in years. They're almost as laughable as "Democrat brethren."
    BigJon10125 and Sig 210 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the WH does fund armed security, even in a minimal amount, when the first armed guard prevents an attack they can all join hands and shout, "See? See what we did!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The country is broke and the Feds are going to do this?? This reminds me of Clinton and the hundred thousand new police officers. I say let each state and community decide what works for them. Keep it local since the local sheriff/police, school board and community knows what is best for them. We might start first getting rid of gun free zones since they work about as good as drug free zones.
    DC likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    The country is broke and the Feds are going to do this?? This reminds me of Clinton and the hundred thousand new police officers. I say let each state and community decide what works for them. Keep it local since the local sheriff/police, school board and community knows what is best for them. We might start first getting rid of gun free zones since they work about as good as drug free zones.
    I agree, but on the flip side wouldn't it actually create new jobs, thereby expanding the tax base?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

My current school has a PO on campus. She is supposed to be there 4 days a week but as she is our 1 k9 unit, she gets pulled all the time. Most of our schools have policale as our district has.its own pd. They are understaffed and underpaid and stretched thin, but somewhat there.

The districts current New plan is to have a rifle on campus (she usually has it in her trunk) in a locked cabinet. Our vp, a friend of mine has said heis all for teachers being armed, however that is not something a new vp will be bringing up in this economy. My classroom is next to the staff parking lot that is always open. One could easily begin with my room. If they went in the front I'd be the last room.

My district is having informational meetings this week for parents and the flier said that "the content may be disturbing to students". Piqued my interest in the hope that they actually discuss something.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links