Gun Control Question

Gun Control Question

This is a discussion on Gun Control Question within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So by 2015, gun deaths are set to surpass car accident fatalities. There are many factors are influencing this number including high gas prices, which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Gun Control Question

Gun Control Question

So by 2015, gun deaths are set to surpass car accident fatalities. There are many factors are influencing this number including high gas prices, which equals less driving, and there are much safer cars on the road. Mass shootings are in the news...

Now, anti-gun folk and even moderates are calling for new legislation on gun control. I know I am preaching to the choir here on my disagreement with said proposed legislation as it is more or less feel good, reactionary legislation and fails to address the real, underlying issues behind mass shootings (mental health being a primary issue, and the fact that criminals are going to do what criminals do, no matter how many laws there are on the books).

One of the items up for discussion and possible ban is the private sale of guns (aka, the gun show loophole). So here is my question:

Are a significant number of gun crimes committed by people who can legally own, and have legally purchased their weapons privately from another gun owner?

I have tried searching for an answer for this and have not found any specific stats that can definitively answer this question.

I suspect the answer is its awfully low, but I would like to find hard stats.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Take a look at a thread that I recently created here:
    REAL and ACCURATE Firearm Statistics

If you are interested, you can help me compile some data. I haven't had time to add much more to the info that I am gathering. In the end, I plan on creating some professional quality infographs to display the information.

There is a lot of misinformation and misnomers surrounding the words "gun deaths".

The only thing that matters, is to look at the people doing the killing. Take out those that broke laws by having possession of a gun, and then look at the numbers.

What you will see, is that by and large, most of the murders committed are committed by someone already wiping their rear end with toilet paper made up of existing laws. That's how much impact they make.

You will also see that most murders, with guns or otherwise, are done in very specific areas against people of similar backgrounds. Basically, large poor urban areas with traditionally two ethnic groups. Black and Hispanic. They tend to kill off each other. The numbers submitted to the Department of Justice prove that.

If you want to call me racist for pointing out that fact go right ahead. I'm not making any statements based on the data, I'm just relaying what the facts having been saying since before I was in high school. If a difference was to be made, people should look at the data, and make a correlation from that data.

Never mind the fact that programs like the NRA's Eddie Eagle one are proven to reduce improper gun handling which has had a direct correlation in fewer accidents in the homes of people who have participated in such programs.

If you look at the facts, gun bans, because it is not control, are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    So by 2015, gun deaths are set to surpass car accident fatalities. There are many factors are influencing this number including high gas prices, which equals less driving, and there are much safer cars on the road. Mass shootings are in the news...

Now, anti-gun folk and even moderates are calling for new legislation on gun control. I know I am preaching to the choir here on my disagreement with said proposed legislation as it is more or less feel good, reactionary legislation and fails to address the real, underlying issues behind mass shootings (mental health being a primary issue, and the fact that criminals are going to do what criminals do, no matter how many laws there are on the books).

One of the items up for discussion and possible ban is the private sale of guns (aka, the gun show loophole). So here is my question:

Are a significant number of gun crimes committed by people who can legally own, and have legally purchased their weapons privately from another gun owner?

I have tried searching for an answer for this and have not found any specific stats that can definitively answer this question.

I suspect the answer is “it’s awfully low,” but I would like to find hard stats.

As an example, Jeanine Piro recently told Hannity that in her 30 years of law enforcement,she experienced only one murder by a legal gun owner. That claim starts aroun d the five minute mark.

Protecting Gun Owners - Judge Jeanine Pirro On Hannity!! - YouTube

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "So by 2015, gun deaths are set to surpass car accident fatalities."

Says who?
    phreddy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Please read and vote.
    Thanks
    Guess they were not happy with the poll results the first time, so USA Today is running another one...Vote Now.

Attorney General Eric Holder, has already said this is one of his major issues. He does not believe the 2nd Amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms. This takes literally 2 clicks to complete. Please vote on this gun issue question with USA Today. Then pass the link on to all the pro-gun folks you know. Hopefully the results will be published later this month.

Here's what you need to do:

First - vote.

Second - Send it to other folks,

then we will see if the results get published.

Click to vote:

<http://www.usatoday.com/news/quickquestion/2007/november/popup5895.htm>
    USATODAY.com

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Says who?
    This is including death's by suicide. The media usually forgets to add that little tidbit. Homicides and accidental deaths come nowhere close.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    you can't find them because it woulkd shoot down the libs argument.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Says who?
    Simply Google - "Gun Deaths 2015"

Here is one of the first articles that pops up:

American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015 - Bloomberg

VIP Member
    Here is one of the first articles that pops up:

American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015 - Bloomberg
    I wouldn't necessarily rely on a Bloomberg owned publication to be objective.
    lordofwyr and OldVet like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    This.

There may be a slight bias in a rag owned by one of the most vocal antis in the country...

VIP Member
    That's kinda like asking the crack dealer if crack is bad for you.
    OD* and Jetfuelrm like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

sigh...

how did i know a comment like that was going to come...

VIP Member
    sigh...

Because you're smart?
    OldVet likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

sigh...

because its likely true? Bloomberg is the most vocal anti-gun person in the country, with his armed security around him. Perhaps you can find a pro-gun article in a Bloomberg owned publication?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links