1 dead, 1 wounded as Stone Oak man thwarts burglary

This is a discussion on 1 dead, 1 wounded as Stone Oak man thwarts burglary within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 1 dead, 1 wounded as Stone Oak man thwarts burglary - San Antonio Express-News...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 1 dead, 1 wounded as Stone Oak man thwarts burglary

1 dead, 1 wounded as Stone Oak man thwarts burglary

Spirit51 likes this.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Attaboy! Give the man a warm fuzzy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wow, I understand why he shot the one who turned on him, good for him. I don't understand why he isn't being charged for killing the one that tried to get away since he was fleeing according to the article, but good for him!

Porter said the shooter — identified by KENS-TV as a 25-year-old who was visiting family at the home — likely won't face charges.
    “The victim was attempting to prevent the consequence of a theft,” Porter said. “That's why he confronted the suspects.”

Read more: 1 dead, 1 wounded as Stone Oak man thwarts burglary - San Antonio Express-News
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

If as reported (of course) ...

Exactly the whole point of being armed: to thwart crime; to defend oneself (and others) against threat.

Kudos. Bummer he had to go through the experience, but kudos nonetheless. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I understand why he shot the one who turned on him, good for him. I don't understand why he isn't being charged for killing the one that tried to get away since he was fleeing according to the article ...
    Because it's Texas, and 2am at that. And in Texas, in this regard, liberty hasn't yet died. Citizens are lawfully acknowledged to have every right to stop criminal activities with the force they deem necessary.

Good for him, indeed.
    Spirit51, JoJoGunn and ep1953 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well good for him. Glad he was able to protect his property. Maybe if breaking into vehicles and homes starts becoming a high hazard occupation, more criminals will opt for an honest paycheck. A $9 an hour job at McDonalds beats becoming a corpse any day.
    68blackbird, Spirit51 and gregnsc like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Wow, I understand why he shot the one who turned on him, good for him. I don't understand why he isn't being charged for killing the one that tried to get away since he was fleeing according to the article, but good for him!
    That was my first thought as well.....I'd like to see how this all washes out.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

The days of having "rules" for protecting against BG should be long over. If you enbark on crimes against citizens....death is just a "hazard" of doing that kind of business. We aren't playing hide and seek....no "king's x" for criminals.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Basically there's a lot we don't know. The guy "getting away" could have had his vehicle facing the shooter, so he could reasonably fear that he'd be run over. Or he could have been in the vehicle to retrieve a weapon and not to actually flee until he was shot. Lots of detail missing, but I can think of numerous situations that would be sufficient for a claim of self defense.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Basically there's a lot we don't know. The guy "getting away" could have had his vehicle facing the shooter, so he could reasonably fear that he'd be run over. Or he could have been in the vehicle to retrieve a weapon and not to actually flee until he was shot. Lots of detail missing, but I can think of numerous situations that would be sufficient for a claim of self defense.
    True, plus the Texas CHL self defense law is a little different for night time shooting than during day if I am not mistaken.

- Antonio Meloni

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    True, plus the Texas CHL lself defense law is a little different for night time shooting than during day if I am not mistaken.
    It was when I had my Texas CHL.
    NRA Life Member

I find it funny the one that was killed was the one in the moving target. Some damn good shooting there.
    ep1953 likes this.

Good guy...... 1 1/2
    Bad guys....... ZERO!

One has to love the TX gun laws...now I have to figure out a way to move there.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wish I were back in San Antonio. I really love Texas.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I was under the impression and plese correct me if I am mistaken that you have ther right to protect property .

"Texas Penal Code§9.42. This section of the law lays out a couple of scenarios where you arejustified in reasonably using deadly force to protect your property. T
    he firstis if someone is committing trespass or interference with your property and youmust reasonably use deadly force to prevent arson, burglary, robbery,aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during thenighttime. If someone is unlawfully on your property and attempting to commitany of these crimes, you will gain the legal justification for using deadlyforce."

I can only remeber I downloaded some iformation from the web prior to a visit to DFW area, I believe this was from opencary.org as I used the code sections references for further research prior to my visit.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links