Homeowner Pulls Shotgun and says "Not today bro" stops criminal carrying a TV, prones

This is a discussion on Homeowner Pulls Shotgun and says "Not today bro" stops criminal carrying a TV, prones within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; him out and waits until police arrive. Homeowner confronts suspected burglar with shotgun | News - Home Only thing I would do different is scan ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Homeowner Pulls Shotgun and says "Not today bro" stops criminal carrying a TV, prones

Homeowner Pulls Shotgun and says "Not today bro" stops criminal carrying a TV, prones

him out and waits until police arrive.

Homeowner confronts suspected burglar with shotgun | News - Home

Only thing I would do different is scan the area before I go out just in case he has partners with him, would hate for some one to come from behind the wood fence and grab the shotgun.

I don't know how well this would go over in my state of Feinstein.

2. Remove Ads

Good and bad about this.

Good, robber caught red handed and guy with a gun does it.

Bad, this maggot will bond out in just a few hours and be right back at his trade. They never have severe enough punishment for theives

Then perhaps when he gets "caught" in the act again, someone with no tolerance for theives and toting their own gun will end his career for good.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

This is great!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Yep, out in an hour

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    A few well placed kicks to the ribs and a promise to blow his head off next time might be in order.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I'll bet the muzzle of that shotgun looked like the end of an open oil drum to that thief. He became very compliant and I would too. I can't help but notice that shotgun had one of those "military" features (pistol grip) that are now so bad. I'm sure that's what scared the thief the most. And like most stories of this type, it is page three news - if it is covered at all.
    Chemistry08 likes this.
    Never get out of the boat....

Good for him!!!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Good guy is lucky he's not in jail. The guy is outside of the house, he's carrying a TV that he can't yet prove he stole (the reporter said it was "somebody's" TV, not necessarily belonging to the guy with the shotgun) he wasn't armed, he wasn't offering a physical threat.

In other words, given the information I have in this video, this is a good example of how not use a gun defensively. If that confrontation had gone bad it would have cost the homeowner a heck of a lot of money, enough to buy dozens of TV's.

Here's how I would have handled it. Racked the shotgun, handed it to the wife to cover me as she calls the police. Then I would have walked out, kept a safe distance (like on the other side of the yard) and yelled "Hey, nice TV. Why don't you put it back where you found it, now?" He can't run with a TV, so 99% he's going to put it down and flee, and you let the cops deal with rounding him up and detaining him. Especially being you have him on video! Odds are they know exactly who he is and where he lives, and they have him carrying the goods on the video, you don't need to do anything else.

Gotta love TX. Bela, laws are different in TX. If it had been at night, HO could've shot him for burglary at night. Cops probably ain't gonna go looking very hard for a TV thief in San Antonio.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Good guy is lucky he's not in jail. The guy is outside of the house, he's carrying a TV that he can't yet prove he stole (the reporter said it was "somebody's" TV, not necessarily belonging to the guy with the shotgun) he wasn't armed, he wasn't offering a physical threat.

In other words, given the information I have in this video, this is a good example of how not use a gun defensively. If that confrontation had gone bad it would have cost the homeowner a heck of a lot of money, enough to buy dozens of TV's.

Here's how I would have handled it. Racked the shotgun, handed it to the wife to cover me as she calls the police. Then I would have walked out, kept a safe distance (like on the other side of the yard) and yelled "Hey, nice TV. Why don't you put it back where you found it, now?" He can't run with a TV, so 99% he's going to put it down and flee, and you let the cops deal with rounding him up and detaining him. Especially being you have him on video! Odds are they know exactly who he is and where he lives, and they have him carrying the goods on the video, you don't need to do anything else.
    Folks in the NE are just so . . . nice when it comes to criminals.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Gotta love TX. Bela, laws are different in TX. If it had been at night, HO could've shot him for burglary at night. Cops probably ain't gonna go looking very hard for a TV thief in San Antonio.
    Shoot him while he was out of the house and leaving? Sounds like a bad idea to me. There wasn't even any absolute certainty as to who was the legitimate owner of the TV. He could have just bought it from the guy, or been a moving man, or a repo man. Not even close to being worth the civil suit that comes with firing any gun at any person. I'd have confronted him for sure, but not with a gun exposed, not over a minor property crime.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Hmmm. Hate to say this but I'm surprised the home owner wasn't hauled in and his gun confiscated. After all he wasn't being threatened with harm and was outside the house. Doesn't that make all feel warm and fuzzy.....NOT. Besides he was some mothers good boy who NEVER is any trouble.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Hmmm. Hate to say this but I'm surprised the home owner wasn't hauled in and his gun confiscated. After all he wasn't being threatened with harm and was outside the house. Doesn't that make all feel warm and fuzzy.....NOT. Besides he was some mothers good boy who NEVER is any trouble.
    I'm guessing that you don't know much about Texas.
    jackson85746, Olduser and Snub44 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm guessing that you don't know much about Texas.
    More of a general across the country comment as opposed to Texas law in particular. My wife shot a guy right between the legs with a 357 mag. He was in the house, armed, and convicted sex offender. Unfortunately this was in California. She spent more time with the cops than he did. Never saw the gun again. They said it was a illegal weapon. Plus side all is well that ends well and he will never have children that grow up to be just like him.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Yes, anyone who has been a criminal defendant would know better. Texas is tough on criminals, but on the other hand if you give a prosecutor any angle where he can come after you, you become the criminal. That's how he earns his pay, putting people away. Not to mention what the ambulance chasers are going to do to you in civil court.

Thus it is in no way worth it to use a weapon to protect mere property, a TV you can replace for $300 at Walmart. You'll pay more than that for your first meeting with a lawyer. Plus there's the moral and psychological consequences. Shooting somebody must be horrible. I'd rather lose a TV than have to see a dead body, or a bad shotgun wound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links