Read this before posting here!!!!

Read this before posting here!!!!

This is a discussion on Read this before posting here!!!! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is just the copied sticky from above, but apparently people don't read stickies anymore. In the news encounters with the bad guys with both ...

Like Tree47Likes
  • 15 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By SIXTO
  • 2 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Read this before posting here!!!!

Administrator

Exclamation Read this before posting here!!!!

This is just the copied sticky from above, but apparently people don't read stickies anymore.

In the news encounters with the bad guys with both successful and not so successful

Stop posting any old news story here. This is supposed to be about self defense topics, not a dumping ground for anything you find interesting. This has been made clear in the past, but its getting out of hand again.

threads posted in "in the news: The good, the bad and the ugly"
    we are getting an increasing number of "off topic" threads posted to the "in the news" forum. So much so that it is beginning to become a general crime story repository that is really not the focus of this forum. If you come across news items that have some real application to concealed carry, open carry, successful (or unsuccessful) armed self defense please feel free to post them, but "general crime" stories, not associated with self defense in any way should be avoided. Likewise for stories of crime in countries other than the us.

While i appreciate that our members enjoy the forum and want to post items of personal interest regardless of topic, i believe that we are, over time, broadening the focus of the forum too much in including some of these topics. Please help us keep the forums' topics "on topic".

So, those who cant abide by the rules will be given infractions and will no longer be able to post here. This is the warning.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank you. I like being able to use this section as a reference for stories where people use guns for self-defense, etc.. Lately there's been way too much other random stuff posted here.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This is supposed to be about self defense topics, not a dumping ground for anything you find interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ... whats not to be learned from it?

The distinction is: whether there's something self-defense related that's worth learning.

I'm all for folks posting useful news items, here. The key is "useful." Self-editing in that regard can go a long way to helping keep it clean.

Thanks for the reminder, SIXTO.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

SIXTO, I'm sick of the proliferation link monsters as well. IMHO, threads should either have an honest question or have an original thought. All the "what do you think of this interesting item I found on the internet" nonsense is wearing thin on me.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    SIXTO, I'm sick of the proliferation link monsters as well. IMHO, threads should either have an honest question or have an original thought. All the "what do you think of this interesting item I found on the internet" nonsense is wearing thin on me.
    Its been wearing thin on a lot of people. This is one way of limiting it. I have no issue with people sharing truly interesting things once in a while, but there are several members that do it way to much, as in all the time. We all have the same internet access, we all can read Drudge if thats what we want to do- give me a break.
    dtox likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Everybody take 5, take a deep breath, count to ten, exhale repeat...

Now, a couple of points.

The focus of this forum is Concealed Carry, it was asked what a forum is for? It's for discussions primarily related to it's focus. Yes, we have other sections that are related to our focus as there is a lot of overlap into long guns, home defense, 2A issues etc. The Off Topic/Humor forum is here at a courtesy, if left up to me I'd have it removed.

The forum is broken down into sub-forums, what belongs in those sub forums is not rocket surgery.

This particular sub-forum, despite all the stickies, warnings, advisories etc....for some reason is a continuous dumping ground for things that do NOT belong in this sub-forum on a level that is much greater than the rest of the forum. The topic of this sub-forum has been beaten to death in this thread but just for the hell of it we'll run it back up the flag pole one more time...

In the news encounters with the bad guys, with both successful, and not so successful, outcomes. Armed citizens have a fighting chance against criminals; those without are at their mercy.
    Historically, topics that did not contain an armed good guy were permitted to better show that unarmed victims didn't do so hot (that's the whole "those without are at their mercy." and to illustrate the need for carry and that is something that the staff will discuss further.

Now, as for school shootings....that's a tough one as it could be located in many of the other sub-forums, no one is saying that we can not have threads on Sandy Hook or any other, only that they should be placed in the correct forum.

If one wanted to discuss School Shootings from the perspective of Law Enforcement responding to such a call, well that would be under the LE/Mil section.

If one wanted to discuss training for active shooter scenarios that would be under the training section.

Discussion of the event itself could be placed in 2A issues or Concealed Carry issues and discussions as the argument can be made that is shows the need for concealed carry or carry in general in schools, and a variety of other spins.

What we do not need however, are 13 different threads on the event in general with no real direction what so ever. Those threads with no direction that related to our focus should probably be in Off Topic.

I'm not surprised that people can't get what this forum is for, we see how well some members read the rules...only after being required re-accept them just recently so lets take a look at what the rules do say about a couple of things:

Member "Off Topic" Discussions forum

All topics and posts must be related to concealed carry, firearms, and other related topics and should be placed in the appropriate forum. The Member "Off Topic" forum is where our members can post almost anything, as long as it does not violate DefensiveCarry.com community standards. If you have comments or questions that are off topic or don't fit into any other forum, this is the place. Posts that get off topic in other threads may also be split and moved here or deleted. There is no appropriate place for off color jokes on this website. Off topic posts do not increment your post counter.
    If a topic really doesn't specifically fit into a forum it should be in OT/H. It could be argued that School Shootings do belong here....there's no callous intent regarding "humor" but they are off topic to a good many of our sub-forums unless specifically linked in a manner as described above (response, training etc.)

Additionally:

Should you ever have any issues with anything forum related please feel free to send a Private Message to any of our forum Moderators. We do understand that some topics are very "HOT BUTTON" issues and/or you may perceive some Moderator action to be unfair. That is fine and please do feel free to discuss your issue with any Moderator VIA Private Mail in a civil and respectful manner. Your complaint will then usually go for review by multiple Moderators who will "weigh in" on the disputed decision.
    Please Note: Losing your temper, ranting, name calling, sarcastic tone and general disrespect in a Private Mail Message to a Moderator or Administrator will get you removed from the forum.
    Consider yourself to be warned of this in advance. It is excellent practice for you to know how to make your point like a decent, calm, rational, human being should you ever find yourself in a court of law ~ at some future point in time.
    All this bickering and hand wringing in this thread and elsewhere is staring to really piss me off. I have no problem discussion this matter, but it needs to be handled in the correct manner.

Should this section of the forum continue to bring unnecessary burden of the staff because members can not comprehend what it is for, it will be removed and a link the the NRA's "The Armed Citizen" will be put in it's place for those looking for stories of Armed Self Defense in the News.

To be continued. Later tonight the majority of this thread is going to get wiped.

Administrator
    Just so everyone knows, 50 something posts were deleted out of this thread. This isn't open for discussion or debate.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    still
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links