Really Bad: 15 year old kills 5 in New Mexico home. - Page 3

Really Bad: 15 year old kills 5 in New Mexico home.

This is a discussion on Really Bad: 15 year old kills 5 in New Mexico home. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bummer to see another hurdle...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Really Bad: 15 year old kills 5 in New Mexico home.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Bummer to see another hurdle

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ruso View Post
    This.

How many gun related deaths are there annually and how many typically make it to the news? The news only reports what people want to see. For example, after 9/11 the news was flooded with attempted terrorist attacks or terrorist related news.
    I beg to differ. A lot of the news is filtered to what they want us to see. For example; every crime that furthers their agenda will be front page, but where do they show the reports of citizens defending themselves? Also, the mulitple shootings in Chicago every day go pretty much unreported which shows that a large portion of crime is gang related.
    jumpwing and TheConcealer like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    As if the antis panties weren't already in a wad. They were already screaming about people shot at gun shows. I saw this mentioned on a leftist blog site this morning and dind't even bother to read it because I already know everything they are going to say.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    It is newsworthy

1. Multiple deaths by one individual
    2. Committed by a kid, 15 years old
    3. Children were killed
    Don't forget, if it bleeds it leads. Bonus points for furthering a Liberal cause. Double bonus for being an anti cause too.

I can't help but think that there is more to this story and that it is going to be a strange twist.
    1) it was a teenage family member
    2) the Fox article talks about the parent being publicly religious. Please don't take my meaning the wrong way, but this seems to be a factor in many repressive and abusive households.
    3) he was charged with murder and child abuse (?). The last one is strange and tells me that there is definitely some mental or psychological issues at play here.
    4) while it may be SOP given the age the fact that the police are not willing to divulge details about conversations with the shooter or motives suggests it isn't mundane.

I honestly hope that criminal charges follow for whoever gave that kid access to guns.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Re: Really Bad: 15 year old kills 5 in New Mexico home.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Many mental defectives will find this a way to have their 15 min. of fame. Time to NOT give out any information about the shooter. No name....no motive...not one picture. You don't have to ignore the incident...just the shooter. STOP giving them the public platform of insanity they are looking for. Make sure they know up front that they will continue to be a NOTHING.
    That's exactly my take on it, too. I mean, at ballgames, they don't show the attention seeking moron who runs onto the field so as not to encourage others to do the same. If people don't think that the most disturbed among us are attracted to the perceived "glamour" of sensationalized killings, they're fooling themselves.

Shooter's ID, imo, should only be released if in the best interest of the public. Ie: he/she got away or if acting in concert, one escaped. Otherwise, there are indeed times where freedom of information hurts and encourages others to run out onto that field.

Obviously he killed his entire family because he had access to a gun. Couldn't have been any other issues there.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I can't help but think that there is more to this story and that it is going to be a strange twist.

2) the Fox article talks about the parent being publicly religious. Please don't take my meaning the wrong way, but this seems to be a factor in many repressive and abusive households.
    Q - And who is it that makes it appear to be a frequent factor?
    A - That trustworthy bastion of integrity and diligent accuracy: the mainstream media.

Considering that Westboro Baptist Church members are also "publicly religious" I would say the description is disingenuous at best. The last time I saw religion portrayed positively in the media was Little House on the Prairie.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Re: Really Bad: 15 year old kills 5 in New Mexico home.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post
    Obviously he killed his entire family because he had access to a gun. Couldn't have been any other issues there.
    I'm sure his access made it easier...

He clearly had something that triggered it but it would have been slightly harder to kill 5 people with a steak knife.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    I'm sure his access made it easier...

He clearly had something that triggered it but it would have been slightly harder to kill 5 people with a steak knife.
    The gun should have been secured, especially with a troubled individual in the house. Nobody's arguing that point. My sarcasm is directed toward the anti-gun people who honestly believe the only reason this kid killed his family is because he had access to an assault rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbguy29577 View Post
    So was it the guns fault again?? Bad gun, bad...

^^^If you were Senator Feinstein^^^^^^^^^^^

you would already know the answer to that.
    Sarcasm off.
    Guns are evil, we need to ban TYRANNICAL SENATORS!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Really. There were 532 shooting deaths in Chicago. I don't remember seeing any of them in the media outside of Chicago.

^^^^^^^^TheMSM is a double edge sword^^^^^^^^^^
    If they blasted the evening news with that revelation,(just like in DC) they would have a lot of 'Splainin' to do, in that how all those thugs are killing people in those towns....
    Towns that are ANTI GUN..
    They DON"T want to do that now do they?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Considering that Westboro Baptist Church members are also "publicly religious" I would say the description is disingenuous at best. The last time I saw religion portrayed positively in the media was Little House on the Prairie.
    The Westboro goons are a poor example. Like I said in my post, the statement could be taken the wrong way and I was trying to clarify that I meant it in a different way. Let me try to further clarify by giving some personal examples:
    1) Growing up I was friends with a family that lived down the road. The father was a local school superintendent and pastor at a church. They wore their religion like a badge and professed it frequently and openly and it was clearly an almost fanatical part of their lives. He and his wife also abused the children, sometimes physically but mostly mentally. Finally after some burglary and vandalism events of our home, my family got the police involved and the parents were charged and put under court supervision. They promptly moved out of state to who knows where.
    2) In high school, we once had a substitute teacher towards the end of the year who instead of teaching the math subject that he was substituting for, proceeded to tell us a number of stories about how he had been miraculously saved from death by Jesus, who must have some plan for him. We learned when school commenced the next year that he was arrested for child molestation.
    3) I worked with an individual who was a downright crook and a thief. He even tried to steal some software license dongles worth over $10K but was caught and claimed he borrowed them to work at home and promptly returned them. This individual also wore his religion as a shield and used it to profess how good of a person he was, when in fact he was a real creep.

I have known, and been friends with, people who are/were truly religious and they don't act or talk like these people did. It is difficult to put into words in a thread post, but anyone who has had experience with these types knows what I am talking out. There is something off about them. So, when I read the news article and it made a couple of points about the guy being 'publicly religious' and then charges of child abuse in the home, it set off the alarm bells that reminded me of these three instances.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    The Westboro goons are a poor example. Like I said in my post, the statement could be taken the wrong way and I was trying to clarify that I meant it in a different way. Let me try to further clarify by giving some personal examples:
    1) Growing up I was friends with a family that lived down the road. The father was a local school superintendent and pastor at a church. They wore their religion like a badge and professed it frequently and openly and it was clearly an almost fanatical part of their lives. He and his wife also abused the children, sometimes physically but mostly mentally. Finally after some burglary and vandalism events of our home, my family got the police involved and the parents were charged and put under court supervision. They promptly moved out of state to who knows where.
    2) In high school, we once had a substitute teacher towards the end of the year who instead of teaching the math subject that he was substituting for, proceeded to tell us a number of stories about how he had been miraculously saved from death by Jesus, who must have some plan for him. We learned when school commenced the next year that he was arrested for child molestation.
    3) I worked with an individual who was a downright crook and a thief. He even tried to steal some software license dongles worth over $10K but was caught and claimed he borrowed them to work at home and promptly returned them. This individual also wore his religion as a shield and used it to profess how good of a person he was, when in fact he was a real creep.

I have known, and been friends with, people who are/were truly religious and they don't act or talk like these people did. It is difficult to put into words in a thread post, but anyone who has had experience with these types knows what I am talking out. There is something off about them. So, when I read the news article and it made a couple of points about the guy being 'publicly religious' and then charges of child abuse in the home, it set off the alarm bells that reminded me of these three instances.
    That is just anecdotal. For every "incident" of misdoing by someone who professes to be "religious" there is plenty of folks doing wrongdoing that are not "religious". Your analogy is pure hogwash.

You did not show a connection of how the folks being religious caused them to be morons.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links