The Ugly: Shooting at Lone Star College in Houston - Page 3

The Ugly: Shooting at Lone Star College in Houston

This is a discussion on The Ugly: Shooting at Lone Star College in Houston within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'd be surprised if the other gangs aren't a bit irritated by this. You'd think that colleges would be a major source of revenue for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The Ugly: Shooting at Lone Star College in Houston

I'd be surprised if the other gangs aren't a bit irritated by this. You'd think that colleges would be a major source of revenue for those willing to sell easy-to-steal items as well as recreational drugs. Violence one campus might cause a drying up of these revenues, because those college kids will re-think whether their patronage is actually 'victimless'.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    Fox said they are having reports this is gang related. Who knew Bangers went to College. Too soon to really know whats being reported as being good info. Lets hope the NRA comes out and relays its gang activity if that's the reality. I hope the law abiding don't get targeted. How about school and theater shootings automatically gets the death penalty.
    This would certainly solve the repeat offender problem.
    goldshellback and surefire7 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

...yep...since at least 1542...and since I was a lad in LA...a long time ago...but if all you have is a hammer...you go around lookin' fer nails...and that's another old one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Really? Around here, "calling a spade a spade" has long-meant being blunt and plain-spoken.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you call a spade a spade, what do you call a shovel? And what's the difference anyhow?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Just looked it up, you are right. I had never heard it used in that way before. My apologies!

I meant it in agreement with what Mike had said. After looking up the origin of the phrase it does appear to derive from the derogatory term.
    Actually, the origin of the phrase has nothing to do with racism. It comes from a quote on Erasmus:

Philippus aunswered, that the Macedonians wer feloes of no fyne witte in their termes but altogether grosse, clubbyshe, and rusticall, as they whiche had not the witte to calle a spade by any other name then a spade.
    Only in the early 20th century in America did "spade" take on the racial overtones. For that reason though, I think you're right to avoid it, and applaud you for being careful. I know it's "political correctness" gone awry somewhat, but that's not the battle we're fighting right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    How about school and theater shootings automatically gets the death penalty.
    No, but how about murder getting a mandatory 20-to-life (at minimum), any attempted murder a mandatory 10-20, and any multiple convictions mandatory as back-to-back, with repeat offenders (violent crime) getting mandatory execution.

Do that, and I'll begin to believe in the first inklings of justice again.
    DPro.40 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Like this?

https://fpc.state.fl.us/10-20-life.htm

Sounds good, but somehow many seem to be able to bargain it down.
    How many dirtbags have committed a crime (in FL) with a gun and are NOT sent away for the mandatory 10 years?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    FL has the 10-20-life law for firearm-involved crimes, but it seems to be applied sporaticly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Just looked it up, you are right. I had never heard it used in that way before. My apologies!

I meant it in agreement with what Mike had said. After looking up the origin of the phrase it does appear to derive from the derogatory term.
    Again, no worries. Like I said, it isn't used much anymore and also has valid use in a non-racial way. That's why I said "racist way to put it" as opposed to "you sir, are a racist" and called it a racially charged word rather than a racist word. Sorry to get the thread off topic.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Actually, the origin of the phrase has nothing to do with racism. It comes from a quote on Erasmus:
    Only in the early 20th century in America did "spade" take on the racial overtones. For that reason though, I think you're right to avoid it, and applaud you for being careful. I know it's "political correctness" gone awry somewhat, but that's not the battle we're fighting right now.
    Avoidance for the sake of political correctness gone awry is a huge part of the battle we're fighting. A very narrow demographic killing itself accounts for fully half the homicides occurring the US right now.
    nontechguy likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Makes one wonder just how far this would have gotten had nearly every upstanding adult on that campus were armed, or whether they would have even attempted it there. Time for people to wake up about the possibilities, with crime as rampant and random as it is. You just never know when or where.
    Exactly. As gun friendly as Texas is, they need to look hard and long at removing schools as a gun free zone.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Spade1.gifSpade2.jpg

David Howard. Used the word "niggardly" in a city budget report in D.C. The word means "stingy" and has no connection to the racial slur "******." Tendered his resignation after racial outrage ensued.

A spade has a flat front. A shovel has a point. You can Google the difference but to me spades put dirt back and shovels take it out.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

From KHOU News -

Three people were shot during an argument between the two suspects. The source said both men pulled out guns during the argument and shot at each other. Two bystanders and at least one of the suspects were wounded. That suspect was taken to an area hospital handcuffed to a stretcher, but the other one got away.

Dozens of law officers searched the campus and surrounding areas. Around 2:30 p.m., the suspect turned himself in at Northwest Medical Center, according to our source. He may have also been wounded.
    I really hope that this is gang related, and not a couple of CHL holders gone wild...
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    From KHOU News -

I really hope that this is gang related, and not a couple of CHL holders gone wild...

Doubtful. This campass is in the hood. Lot's of gang graffitti and activity.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Just turned the TV on and the CNN,MSNBC are spinning the story. the contributors are already saying "something needs to change so this does not happen again"
    MSNBC, really! I am shocked.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links