"Armored Whiteboard Stops Bullets": Even 44 Magnum - Really Interesting New Product:

"Armored Whiteboard Stops Bullets": Even 44 Magnum - Really Interesting New Product:

This is a discussion on "Armored Whiteboard Stops Bullets": Even 44 Magnum - Really Interesting New Product: within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A real neat invention, especially for teachers, and I guess students too, if a shooter gets inside a school: Take a look: ("whiteboards" are those ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By detective
  • 3 Post By bigmacque

Thread: "Armored Whiteboard Stops Bullets": Even 44 Magnum - Really Interesting New Product:

A real neat invention, especially for teachers, and I guess students too, if a shooter gets inside a school:

Take a look: ("whiteboards" are those shiny white boards you can write on with non-permanent marker. Often used in classrooms by the teacher)

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Those are great, that was a great idea they came up with.

Now, outfit classrooms with those, train teachers to assume a defensive position and shoot, and while a shooter is busy taking out white boards the teacher can take out the shooter.
    pittypat21, shooterX and mano3 like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

too bad thats only one wall, why not armor all the walls, or better yet teach the teachers to shoot and let them carry on campus
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Excellent idea IMO. I also saw a report about some teachers desk fronts being armored.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    So, the creators think the teacher should have the whiteboard and use it to charge the gunman. I doubt schools will give all the kiddies white boards, so they will still be targets. While I don't think the whiteboard is a bad idea, being able to shoot back and stop the threat seems better to me, but it could be a both and. situation.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Wouldn't it be easier to require kids to have their own bulletproof vests? Forget about funding art, gym and music. Lets just armor plate everything and everyone. (He said satirically)
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Doors - Progammed to Shut Automatically

Did you ever see or hear of electronic doors that close in a security emergency to seal exits to keep intruders already in from fleeing? You mostly see them in films but they are actually used in some buildings. They also use them for fire control in some modern buildings at certain points to seal off a fire. We had them at a steel plant I used to work at in the Control Room of a massive steel pouring unit. A fire here damaging measuring systems could lead to a catastrophic explosion of the whole facility with molten steel flying over wide area. Room was rigged with something called Cardox, I think the name. If a fire, alarm would sound, employees would run out of room and it be monitored by closed circuit TV. Once all out, doors would auto-swing shut and huge amounts of CO2 would flood the room, quickly extinguishing fire. God help you if you were still in that room.

Doors made of the material shown, that would auto-swing shut and lock by electronically upon evidence of break in by shooter - would completely deny entrance to a killer, no matter how many times he shot up the door. That's what you want, keep him from all potential victims until police can take him out. Seems it would be more universally effective than individual shields. And a control switch to open the door could be put in the room if needed by the teacher for any reason.

It would be expensive but how much is a child's life worth? or teachers' who - as we saw in Sandy Hook - sacrifice their lives to save their children-students? Probably it's 1/100th of what we waste in this country yearly. I'd rather my taxes saved the lives of kids and teachers then hire 5 million more gov. bureaucrats yearly to screw everything up.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Add that to the school district's new M-4s** and they'll have brought them selfs into the self protection mode rather than the victim's mode!

** Note the school police just (Last October) purchased 14 new M-4s!

Caveat: I didn't see testing on rifle rounds, while it may stop a 44 mag pistol; a 9mm +P+ coming out of an MP5 will go through our 44 mag proof armortex glass?
    Last edited by onacoma; January 23rd, 2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: add caveat

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I have a real problem imagining Mrs. Henry, my second grade teacher, calmly holding up that whiteboard and fending off a mag full of bullets. I believe the initial reaction would be dump and run.

No, I don;t think so...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Did you ever see or hear of electronic doors that close in a security emergency to seal exits to keep intruders already in from fleeing? You mostly see them in films but they are actually used in some buildings. They also use them for fire control in some modern buildings at certain points to seal off a fire. We had them at a steel plant I used to work at in the Control Room of a massive steel pouring unit. A fire here damaging measuring systems could lead to a catastrophic explosion of the whole facility with molten steel flying over wide area. Room was rigged with something called Cardox, I think the name. If a fire, alarm would sound, employees would run out of room and it be monitored by closed circuit TV. Once all out, doors would auto-swing shut and huge amounts of CO2 would flood the room, quickly extinguishing fire. God help you if you were still in that room.

Doors made of the material shown, that would auto-swing shut and lock by electronically upon evidence of break in by shooter - would completely deny entrance to a killer, no matter how many times he shot up the door. That's what you want, keep him from all potential victims until police can take him out. Seems it would be more universally effective than individual shields. And a control switch to open the door could be put in the room if needed by the teacher for any reason.

It would be expensive but how much is a child's life worth? or teachers' who - as we saw in Sandy Hook - sacrifice their lives to save their children-students? Probably it's 1/100th of what we waste in this country yearly. I'd rather my taxes saved the lives of kids and teachers then hire 5 million more gov. bureaucrats yearly to screw everything up.
    How about the teacher locking the door when class starts and unlocking it when class ends? All that would take is a solid door and a good lock--and a moment's effort.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    How about the teacher locking the door when class starts and unlocking it when class ends? All that would take is a solid door and a good lock--and a moment's effort.
    If she was in a room close enough to know what was happening elsewhere. That's the problem.

Instead this: Anyone in any office or classroom could trigger a total lock down, i.e., first person who saw the shooter walk in with his rifle or heard shots: HIT THAT SWITCH AND 911 ! Now every child and teacher, most who don't know what's coming, are immediately safe.

Now it's a Police procedure, not a 6yr-old vs heavily armed-crazy-perp procedure. Think of Sandy Hook if someone in that first group in that meeting going on could have hit such a switch before being shot (were they all shot?).

Also, wall speaker and mike, every room - anyone who knows can instantly send out general announcement to every other room.

That's the stuff I was thinking of: instant safety. THEN take the guy by massive police invasion. Just them and perp, not chaos of innocents in the way of shots fired.

VIP Member
    You missed the point--Lock the doors "daily" for every class. No need to wait until something happens. Preventative; not reactive.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You missed the point--Lock the doors "daily" for every class. No need to wait until something happens. Preventative; not reactive.
    Good One! Absolutely true. No matter what happens, those kids and their teachers are safe.

VIP Member
    Neat toy, but won't do anything in a real incident. Just a costly feel good measure.

Administrator
    .... It's not about someone's defense.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links