Jamican vigilante gets 8 yrs for killing Air Force veteran

This is a discussion on Jamican vigilante gets 8 yrs for killing Air Force veteran within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Jamican shoots neighbor hero over teen skateboarder Jamaican bus driver who thought he was the boss of the park - he cries after being senrtenced ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By ep1953
  • 1 Post By mbguy29577
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise

Thread: Jamican vigilante gets 8 yrs for killing Air Force veteran

Jamican shoots neighbor hero over teen skateboarder

Jamaican bus driver who thought he was the boss of the park - he cries after being senrtenced

A 20 air force veteran, who protected a 14 yr old teen. is executed

Summary: In a quiet Tampa neighborhood a local tryant threatened a 14 yr old skate boarder with a gun, a Air Force veteran stepped in. The Jamican pulled back his shirt, flashed his gun, and told the hero to "Go *** himself". The shooter walked away, the veteran said you won't get away threatening me, my kid, and a teen. The enraged tyrant pulled his gun, turned, and shot the Air Force veteran.

On Jan 16 the Jamican was sentenced to 8 yrs, and stated that his color was why he got such a stiff sentence.

Article

Dooley, 72, shot and killed David James, 41, on Sept. 25, 2010, during an argument over a young skateboarder at the Twin Lakes recreational park in Valrico, across the street from Dooley’s home. The fatal confrontation happened in front of James’ daughter, Danielle, who was then 8

Judge Moody

Circuit Judge Ashley Moody handed down the 8-year-sentence, followed by 10 years of probation. The sentence was less than the minimum of more than 10 years in prison called for in state sentencing guidelines for the crime.

David James, Dooley continued, “brought it on himself. I tried to go home. I walked away. Do you really think if it was the other way around and the skin color was different, we would be here today? We wouldn’t.”

Dooley, she said, is in poor health with no criminal history.

Witnesses dispute Trevor Dooley's 'Stand Your Ground' claim in Valrico shooting - Tampa Bay Times

Just a quiet neighborhood park

He said it was discrimination because he was black

Here is the skateboarder that he threatened

Eight years for stone cold first degree murder? And this idiot thinks he is being discriminated against because he is black? Give me a break and a half!

The idiot should've gotten the death penalty or at least life in prison with no parole.

According to testimony James tried to get Dooley's gun. If someone takes your gun from you you could be in serious trouble. Dooley's was 69 at the time. He should mind his business not doubt. He certianly should not have flashed his gun. But when James decided to followed Dooley and tried take his gun away from him that would appear to change who is in the wrong, remember Dooley is headed back towards his home. There was a struggle for the gun and James was shot. Does't sound like murder to me. Both guys made big mistakes. One ended up dead and one ended up in jail for eight years. Both big prices to pay for making very bad choices. Eight years is likely a life sentence for Dooley. Based on the limited data I am going to do something that I don't do very often, state that i am satisfied with the judges decision.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If your gonna confront an armed man it's best to be armed yourself,If there was a problem I would have been on the phone with 911 to get them headed that way.
    The Guy was stupid for trying to play COP and disarm the guy if he was walking back home.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Only 8 years???
    And where there and marches or calls of racism with this event?
    Al Sharpton and Jesse were suspiciously quiet?
    msgt/ret likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Circuit Judge Ashley Moody handed down the 8-year-sentence, followed by 10 years of probation. The sentence was less than the minimum of more than 10 years in prison called for in state sentencing guidelines for the crime."

This is a clear violation of the state's 10-20-life (for shooting someone) mandatory sentencing law. He should be thankful he got such a light sentence, and Judge Moody should be answering to the state attorney why she didn't follow mandatory sentencing laws.
    Jeanlouise and oneshot like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    According to testimony James tried to get Dooley's gun.

Witness statements --- Dooley and James argued over letting the boy skate until Dooley lifted his shirt and said, "F--- you," the Whitts testified. They said Dooley turned and started home, but James caught up with him. "Mr. James said, 'Don't flash a weapon,' something like that," Michelle Whitt testified.

Then, she said, Dooley pulled out the gun and James grabbed his hand. The men struggled, they fell to the ground, and James ended up on his knees as Dooley lay on his side. They still wrestled for the gun.

Witnesses dispute Trevor Dooley's 'Stand Your Ground' claim in Valrico shooting - Tampa Bay Times

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    According to testimony James tried to get Dooley's gun. If someone takes your gun from you you could be in serious trouble. Dooley's was 69 at the time. He should mind his business not doubt. He certianly should not have flashed his gun. But when James decided to followed Dooley and tried take his gun away from him that would appear to change who is in the wrong, remember Dooley is headed back towards his home. There was a struggle for the gun and James was shot. Does't sound like murder to me. Both guys made big mistakes. One ended up dead and one ended up in jail for eight years. Both big prices to pay for making very bad choices. Eight years is likely a life sentence for Dooley. Based on the limited data I am going to do something that I don't do very often, state that i am satisfied with the judges decision.
    Obviously there are 2 sides to every story but the jury must not have believed that testimony or else surely they would have found him not guilty. I think you would definitely be justified in killing someone that is trying to take your gun away from you. Especially if you were trying to retreat and leave the area, regardless of whether or not you flashed your gun.

On the other hand, if he simply turned and shot the victim as stated in the Op's post, then he should have gotten the death penalty, since that is what he dished out.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Eight years for stone cold first degree murder? And this idiot thinks he is being discriminated against because he is black? Give me a break and a half!

The idiot should've gotten the death penalty or at least life in prison with no parole.
    At his age and with his health, it probably is a death sentence.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

VIP Member
    After reading the article, I think Dooley should have gotten the max. There was absolutley no reason to do what he did.

Flash your gun at a guy with his kids in a park when you were the aggressor? If he was that outraged about a kid skateboarding, he could have called 911 and had the police take care of it.

So many lives ruined because this jackwagon had to be the tough guy. Disgusting. Oh, and of course he's being discriminated against; isn't that the new first line of defense now?
    oneshot likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    From article;

Dooley and James argued over letting the boy skate until Dooley lifted his shirt and said, "F--- you," the Whitts testified.
    END

Dooley was a butt-clown for being an angry old geezer, who had nothing else to complain about, and wasn't even being bothered by the skater.
    He was the agressor the minute he crossed the street to confront the teen, and especially once he made it known to other persons he was armed and, definitely after his F-you remark.
    He should be on death row.

Should James have used better discretion, especially with his daughter present, yes.
    Should he have called 911 and had the police come and sort out Dooley's mental instability?
    YES. Did he deserve to die?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links