Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way - Page 3

Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way

This is a discussion on Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by suntzu Well, too be fair, when we see stories like this many folks are making the kids guilty of home invasion without ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Well, too be fair, when we see stories like this many folks are making the kids guilty of home invasion without any more facts than folks thinking the old man is guilty of over reacting.
    And in both situations the homeowner is the only one involved that is 100% legally allowed to be there by default of being the homeowner.

Although we are all guilty of it, I believe jumping to conclusions in either case is counter productive.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I looked at the facts at hand, but add in the people in the car calling the homeowner names ("sticks and stones") or threatened him and his wife....that still makes going inside....locking the doors...getting your weapon and calling the Police the best and IMO ONLY option.

I could never be on that jury, because I can see nothing that justified THAT response. Sorry, but I can't ignore common sense.

Same here. He made a bad decision based off his own paranoid fears and now we've got a dead 22 year old and some traumatized teens. Good for him standing his ground and protecting his driveway against the lost.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Seems we're (all) creating a lot of imaginary, unique scenarios that most closely align with our own "mind's eye" view of the circumstances. Yet the folks who are metering their "QUILTY" verdict toward the homeowner seem comfortable believing there's more to the story than is currently being reported in a preliminary newspaper account quoting only one witness who may, or may not, have a deeply vested interest in the eventual outcome. I am surprised that, even here, we so easily follow the media's unabashed sensationalist agenda & so quickly declare the shooter as "bad" and the victim as "innocent". I'll be willing to gamble (with anyone who's interested) that before this case is adjudicated the now-apparent quilt of the homeowner with be brought more clearly into the realm of reasonable doubt. Any takers?

I'm also intrigued by the recent proliferation of threads originating, not from forum member's curiosity on matters of concealed carry, but rather from web-crawling for news of tragic & controversial gun-related events. A link doesn't substitute original thought or genuine inquiry. It's just a link. And for every link that supports any agenda-driven opinion, there's one that can...refute it.
    wmhawth and DontTreadOnI like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Re: Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way

Perhaps the kids got to the house, started getting out of the car, homeowner comes out.. kids think, does he live with his dad?? Phone call reveals they're at the wrong house.. getting back in the car as the old guy cones out firing...

Just one of millions of scenarios...old guy is still wrong.. I wonder if perhaps he suffers from dementia?

As my father has gotten older, his demeanor has changed to, get a gun and shoot....he's 70..I keep telling him NOT to shoot for no reason....

Here is a photo of the driveway and house:
    http://waga.images.worldnow.com/images/20757122_BG3.jpg

Now THERE'S a tough address to, uhhh...mistakenly miss!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

... pulled into the wrong driveway.

... tried to drive away, but Sailors shot again, striking Diaz in the head ...

(The defendant said he) shot because he feared his life was in danger.

Hm. Someone's backing up out of your driveway and your life is at risk of loss because of it?

Early reports are rarely complete or correct, so very likely some things are missing. Still, either the occupants were actively seeking to harm him from a distance (ie, training a gun on him), or he's lying and/or psychotic in his understanding of the right we all have to defend against legitimate, unprovoked, active danger.

Sheesh. If as reported, you can't shoot up the place simply because someone's plodding around in a car, even on your own driveway.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Maybe the shot happened before the deceased got BACK into the car, but it just didn't sound near as good when interviewed by reporters. I don't know. But my point is, no one here, at this point KNOWS!

I think there may be more to the story. Hopefully we will find out more. I would never pull in someones driveway to turn around. I never have in the past. I usually just go to the next street and make a U-turn.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I might turn around in a driveway. But the home owner won't have time to; come out, see me, go back in the house, get a firearm, come back out, fire a warning shot & then KILL me...before I can leave.
    ep1953 likes this.

I was just having a discussion like this last night with my girlfriend. She was navigating, and didn't let me know about a turn in time, so she told me to just turn around in someones driveway. I hate to do that just in case I end up in some nutjobs driveway. She thought I was the crazy one....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I might turn around in a driveway. But the home owner won't have time to; come out, see me, go back in the house, get a firearm, come back out, fire a warning shot & then KILL me...before I can leave.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Hm. Someone's backing up out of your driveway and your life is at risk of loss because of it?

Early reports are rarely complete or correct, so very likely some things are missing. Still, either the occupants were actively seeking to harm him from a distance (ie, training a gun on him), or he's lying and/or psychotic in his understanding of the right we all have to defend against legitimate, unprovoked, active danger.

Sheesh. If as reported, you can't shoot up the place simply because someone's plodding around in a car, even on your own driveway.
    I would suspect that if guns were found in the car, that it would have been reported on.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    I would suspect that if guns were found in the car, that it would have been reported on.
    You have a lot more faith in the media than I do.
    phreddy, Hopyard and ep1953 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    God knows that guns are never ditched before the LEOs arrive. Who called it in?
    Hopyard likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links