Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way

This is a discussion on Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by nkanofolives 22 year old pulls into wrong drive way, old guy goes outside to see what is going on, goes inside to ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    22 year old pulls into wrong drive way, old guy goes outside to see what is going on, goes inside to get gun, fires into the air then at the car, killing the driver. Seriously?

I hope this man goes to jail for the rest of his natural life. What kind of paranoid world does this guy live in where he thinks it is alright to just start shooting at people in his driveway.

Sad, sad story.

Man, 69, accused of killing man who went to wrong house | www.ajc.com

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Gwinnett County man is accused of shooting and killing a man who friends said pulled into the wrong driveway.

Phillip Walker Sailors, 69, of Lilburn, was booked into the Gwinnett County jail Sunday afternoon and charged with murder for the death of Rodrigo Abad Diaz, according to jail records and his arrest warrant.
    No one should lose their life for pulling into the wrong drive-way. This stuff gives all of us a bad rep.

My feelings anyway...
    Spirit51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I've had GPS systems direct me to wrong locations or onto routes that took me out of the way, when in reality I could have just went another way that the gps didn't calculate.

So its possible.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    I've had GPS systems direct me to wrong locations or onto routes that took me out of the way, when in reality I could have just went another way that the gps didn't calculate.

So its possible.

Exactly^^^^^^^^^^^^

Heres a story of a US minesweeper
    Stuck Minesweeper to Be Cut Into Pieces - Yahoo! News
    that ran aground on a protected coral reef in the Phillipines.
    The Navy is saying the digital charts being used told the crew that it was 8 miles away.

From article;
    A preliminary Navy review found that the digital chart the crew was using to navigate the ship incorrectly listed the reef's location by 8 miles. A review of additional charts created by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency found another navigational aberration off the coast of Chile. Both have been corrected.

Crap happens, and I believe the kids are probably telling the truth on this.
    I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt anyways, for now.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    This almost happened to some friends of mine and myself years ago. We were going for a drive in the mountains (near Charlottesville, VA) on a nice summer day. We got about half way up the mountain and it became very narrow, so we decided not to go any further and turn around as soon as we could. We pulled into the first driveway we came to. It was a fairly short dirt driveway. First 2 dogs came tearing out from behind the house and started jumping and snarling at the doors. Next an old guy comes charging out of the house with a rifle on his shoulder pointed straight at us screaming, "get off my property or I'll kill you right now".

You've never seen a car turn around so fast! He didn't have to shoot us because we were scared to death.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Re: Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way

I've seen too many of these early reports to take them at face value. There's almost always more to the story.

Unfortunately, if it's regarding a controversial subject, it gets so politicized that you can't figure out the truth.
    ccw9mm likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    No one should lose their life for pulling into the wrong drive-way. This stuff gives all of us a bad rep.

My feelings anyway...
    For just pulling into the wrong driveway of course not. You would be correct. What is unknowable to
    us is what other behaviors may have been involved. Were they told to leave? Did they answer back?
    Is that why he went to retrieve the gun? Did he again order them to leave? Did they refuse to comply?
    Did they dare him to make them leave? Did they point a weapon at him? Did they rev their car engine
    in a way that might have indicated they intended to pin him between car and garage?

We know none of the answers. I don't know the law in the state where he lives.

I do know that here force may be used to remove a trespasser and lethal force may be used if
    it is reasonably necessary to accomplish the goal without risk of serious harm to the land owner.

There are simply too many pieces of important information missing from the story; and possibly a pack of
    lies have been told to the police by the occupants of the car.

A man with his background and reputation doesn't just go off and do what he did for no reason.
    Something bad happened between him and the car occupants prior to his getting his gun, and after he
    emerged with it, IMO.

Oh, on one of the news channel discussion boards there was a post by someone who knows the man personally.
    He was described as a really good guy. I wish I had the link so I could post the description, and I also
    wish I had some background on the occupants of the car. The whole story as presented in the news seems
    too pat to be a reasonably accurate description of the real events.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have had people pull into my driveway and I didn't know them. Some of them sit there a minute or two before moving on. I wouldn't make any moves unless they approached. The motions people make or the look they have can tell you quite a lot. If they don't make a suspicious move then I don't either.

The addresses on my street are sometimes hard to understand. I live on a main street through the neighborhood and around the corner is a road with the same number but it's not a street it's a court. The address numbers repeat there. So you can have 12345 on 8th street and 12345 on 8th court or similar. Many times people mistake one house for another because they are on the right road number but don't realize it's street and not court or ave.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    And in both situations the homeowner is the only one involved that is 100% legally allowed to be there by default of being the homeowner.

Although we are all guilty of it, I believe jumping to conclusions in either case is counter productive.
    Depends, around here anything past the sidewalk is city property. You just maintain it. So someone can pull into that area and they are not technically on your property yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    This almost happened to some friends of mine and myself years ago. We were going for a drive in the mountains (near Charlottesville, VA) on a nice summer day. We got about half way up the mountain and it became very narrow, so we decided not to go any further and turn around as soon as we could. We pulled into the first driveway we came to. It was a fairly short dirt driveway. First 2 dogs came tearing out from behind the house and started jumping and snarling at the doors. Next an old guy comes charging out of the house with a rifle on his shoulder pointed straight at us screaming, "get off my property or I'll kill you right now".

You've never seen a car turn around so fast! He didn't have to shoot us because we were scared to death.
    This is the scenario I have in my head. Some people just want to shoot first. A lot of people think "hey they were on my property and I don't want strangers there so I can just shoot em" and that's an incorrect stance IMO. Maybe not legally in some areas but morally perhaps.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Re: Man shoots and kills another man for pulling into his drive way

Hell, I've had a couple if different GPS systems tell me to turn right while crossing bridges...and they were supposedly "up to date"... so GPS units are definitely capable of putting you in the wrong place...

But the fact remains...pulling into a driveway shouldn't cost you your life.

VIP Member
    I have to believe that there is way more to this story than we know.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Up date with 3min video.

Two portraits emerge of Lilburn shooter | www.ajc.com

It appears the old guy panicked..............

Going to be tough for his lawyer to prove he felt his life, and the life of his wife was in Jeopardy, that the cars occupants had the Ability at the time, and the Opportunity to do them ill will.

I think a jury, despite this guys pastor talking highly of him will find him guilty
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It said a bullet entered his left side of his head. That would indicate he was looking backwards as when you do backin up. Old man is screwed I think.....and should be.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Sometimes things are actually as they seem.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

I have to stop reading the comments in the MSM regarding this event. It pains me to no end people can politicize this and actually say "I told you so" in regards to a fallen war hero who was helping a fellow solder work through PTSD. I just have to keep telling myself these low-lifes are a small minority, or at least I really hope they are.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    One of my buddies inspects trees for clearance of power lines for the utility PG&E. They make a point of ignoring pot farms, and respect the privacy of the landowners. Sometimes he meets people who recently bought property and don't want to recognize the utility's easement for access to inspect and work. Occasionally they are very uncooperative and the Sheriff has to come out and explain the rules. A few of them have left in the Sheriff's car after brandishing arms or throwing rocks. Those few usually get scorched earth near the lines, rather than trimmed trees, so they don't have to come back for a few years. You do not have the right to shoot at someone for merely being on your property, and threatening an public utility employee doing his job is a crime.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I have to stop reading the comments in the MSM regarding this event. It pains me to no end people can politicize this and actually say "I told you so" in regards to a fallen war hero who was helping a fellow solder work through PTSD. I just have to keep telling myself these low-lifes are a small minority, or at least I really hope they are.
    Are you in the correct thread? SOund Like you are talking about Chris Kyle.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links