Armed security/LEOs at schools do work.

This is a discussion on Armed security/LEOs at schools do work. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/s...-school/nWB9y/ One student shoots another, minutes later an armed resource officer takes the shooter into custody. The student who was shot with a "small caliber ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Armed security/LEOs at schools do work.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/s...-school/nWB9y/

One student shoots another, minutes later an armed resource officer takes the shooter into custody. The student who was shot with a "small caliber handgun" will apparently be ok. Suffered a wound to the back of the neck and was talking to responders on scene.

Just goes to show that armed security can work. Who knows if this kid was going to try shooting more if he had the opportunity.
    Last edited by cmdrdredd; January 31st, 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: fixed link
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Where is the story?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Uh, yeah?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Try this:
    Teen shot at Atlanta school; student held

As they say the proof is in the pudding. It is hard to argue that the resource officer didn't save lives, but I'm sure this will not get nearly as much airtime as all the other gun violence news. Apparently this school also had medal detectors, so they will also have to figure out how the gun got onto the campus.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

NRA Member
    NRA Certified RSO, Shotgun & Rifle Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by The obligatory anti-gun rhetoric, from the article
    Mayor Kasim Reed condemned gun violence after the shooting and said counselors were at the school to meet with students, faculty and family members.

"Gun violence in and around our schools is simply unconscionable and must end," Reed said in a statement. "Too many young people are being harmed, and too many families are suffering from unimaginable and unnecessary grief."
    The causes of violence must be run to ground, yes. Poor parenting, poverty, spotty education, lack of socialization skills taught to children, crummy mental health and psychological services available to those needing help, a generation-over-generation culture of not working through problems and instead turning to violence to resolve differences. Yes, the tool/weapon in the hand is troubling. And, yes, the Ford or Toyota or Schwinn the criminal arrived in/on helped enable the person's presence at the venue. Uncertain whether the attacker had shown symptoms. Uncertain whether the school had any method of screening arriving students.

As we all know, focusing on causes will get to the causes in a way that going after symptoms never will.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

yeah my c key was acting up so it didn't copy the address like I thought...fixed the link now

My apologies
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Clearly, if assault weapons and high capacity magazines were banned this shooting wouldn't have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by WICCW View Post
    Try this:
    Teen shot at Atlanta school; student held

As they say the proof is in the pudding. It is hard to argue that the resource officer didn't save lives, but I'm sure this will not get nearly as much airtime as all the other gun violence news. Apparently this school also had medal detectors, so they will also have to figure out how the gun got onto the campus.
    I believe that he was outside the building between the campus and the gym. Could have been stashed outside.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The causes of violence must be run to ground, yes. Poor parenting, poverty, spotty education, lack of socialization skills taught to children, crummy mental health and psychological services available to those needing help, a generation-over-generation culture of not working through problems and instead turning to violence to resolve differences. Yes, the tool/weapon in the hand is troubling. And, yes, the Ford or Toyota or Schwinn the criminal arrived in/on helped enable the person's presence at the venue. Uncertain whether the attacker had shown symptoms. Uncertain whether the school had any method of screening arriving students.

As we all know, focusing on causes will get to the causes in a way that going after symptoms never will.

AMEN! I couldn't agree with you more. We as a country should be focused on the root cause of these problems, not just immediatly jump to banning weapons. I don't see a call to ban cars when you hear of someone that is tragically killed by a drunk driver. People talk about what we can do to keep those people from getting behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated. Why do we not hear anyone (with the excption of the NRA and gun owners) talking about what we can do to keep the guns out of these shooters hands???? We need a common sense approach, not one that punishes the people who follow and abide by the laws!
    BigCityChief likes this.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."

NRA Member

AMEN! I couldn't agree with you more. We as a country should be focused on the root cause of these problems, not just immediatly jump to banning weapons. I don't see a call to ban cars when you hear of someone that is tragically killed by a drunk driver. People talk about what we can do to keep those people from getting behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated. Why do we not hear anyone (with the excption of the NRA and gun owners) talking about what we can do to keep the guns out of these shooters hands???? We need a common sense approach, not one that punishes the people who follow and abide by the laws!
    Yeah but common sense ain't so common.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Yeah but common sense ain't so common.
    Now why is that we can easily identify the problem, but our elected officials can't seem to figure this out???? I guess it all goes back to your response because "common sense ain't so common"

NRA Member

Now why is that we can easily identify the problem, but our elected officials can't seem to figure this out???? I guess it all goes back to your response because "common sense ain't so common"
    They know the problem. They just don't want to fix it. The problem gets them elected year after year. Think about it, how many gang bangers from Chicago do you think voted for the idiots in office? What about Detroit? Heck, the Aurora shooter worked on Obama's campaign and was an occupy wall street protester.

If they remove the guns from the people, then they can cross one more problem off THEIR list which is much different than the problems you and I recognize.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Oh, many months back ..... I remember one where 2 armed .. older kids.... were entering a school.... and an armed SO stopped them and after the gunfire, he was still standing but on of them was laying there dead, and the other one ran off ... hobbling and wounded.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

What no assault rifle? Amateur...
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member
    This is a great example of an armed good guy protecting our children. Of course the main stream media will sweep this under the rug because it doesn't fit the agenda.

Here is the story on TheBlaze: Armed Guard Stops School Shooter After He Opened Fire at Atlanta Middle School | TheBlaze.com
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links