Defense of others upheld but bad cc.....

This is a discussion on Defense of others upheld but bad cc..... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; THOMASVILLE, N.C. — Thomasville police say a man fatally shot his daughter’s boyfriend while he was assaulting her, but the shooting was ruled to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Defense of others upheld but bad cc.....

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

THOMASVILLE, N.C. — Thomasville police say a man fatally shot his daughter’s boyfriend while he was assaulting her, but the shooting was ruled to be an act of defense.

The shooting was reported shortly after 10:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19 at 211 Pine St.

Police say David Rayvon Braswell, 38, was found dead at the address.

According to police, an investigation revealed Braswell was physically assaulting his girlfriend when 56-year-old Clifton Gregory Dennis — the girlfriend’s father — shot Braswell with a .22 rifle.

Detectives and the District Attorney’s Office determined Dennis’ actions were “justified as self-defense or the defense of others,” police said.

No charges are being filed in Braswell’s death, however Dennis was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Police say Dennis was placed in the Davidson County Jail under a $50,000 secured bond in connection with the charge.

According to the N.C. Department of Public Safety website, Dennis’ felony status dates back to 1987 when he was charged with hiring with intent to defraud and receiving stolen goods.

In 2004, Dennis was also charged with possession of a firearm by a felon, felony possession of schedule II substances and felony possession of schedule VI substances.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Too bad. Some folks never seem to be able to clean up their acts. Glad he was there to help though.
    Bark'n and oneshot like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We have a weird catch in our law now... good.... but weird. It's against to carry "if" you are under-the-influence of alcohol or drugs, and / or over the legal limit....... BUT ........ if you pick up a gun and use it in self-defense and / or of another, and then put the gun back down (don't maintain possession) , you are legal and cannot be charged. The question has come up .... what about a felon who is not supposed to possess a gun, but if they picked up one you had laying there in order to defend themselves or others. ? The inclination is, that the 'act' itself is not illegal.... only maintaining possession of the gun is. My point being, if the girl would have claimed it was her 22 rifle and is of age to own it, then ..... he may have had an argument.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I agree with Oldvet, it's great that he was able to protect his daughter. However, I agree with the charges he currently faces. Some people never learn.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Seems to have played out correctly in all instances to me. Here is a relevant article:

Police say man justified in shooting in Thomasville | The-Dispatch.com
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My point being, if the girl would have claimed it was her 22 rifle and is of age to own it, then ..... he may have had an argument.
    In most states (Can't say for NC), having a firearm in hand or even available is enough to charge a felon with possession. Possession doesn't necessarily imply "ownership." Seeing as his felony was a non-violent felony, I could have looked the other way on the felony possession charge in this case, but the "controlled substance" indicates he's still up to no good.
    sigmanluke and Hopyard like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Seems that it all ended just about right.

I guess I'm having a senior moment but what does the OP mean by "but bad cc..." in the title?
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Eagleks, I may be wrong, but the way I understand the law, it is illegal for him to possess the firearm for ANY amount of time, including during the shooting. The fact that the shooting it's self was justified does not allow for his possession of the gun during the shooting. I can only assume he knew he'd be charged for the possession since he had been previously. IMO, he did the right thing. Protect someone in need and accept the consequences of your decisions.
    oneshot likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    We had a situation in Spartanburg last year where a felon was riding in his girlfriends car and they pulled up to her apartment. They saw two guys trying to break in. The boyfriend who has a felon record grabeed her gun out of the glove compartment and shot the two BG. The local sheriif let him off with no charges, since it was not the felon's gun and he only used it for their protection.

The case has gotten a lot of press and the boyfriend might be charged becuase some are doubting their story about self-defense (both bg's were shot in the head).

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In most states (Can't say for NC), having a firearm in hand or even available is enough to charge a felon with possession. Possession doesn't necessarily imply "ownership." Seeing as his felony was a non-violent felony, I could have looked the other way on the felony possession charge in this case, but the "controlled substance" indicates he's still up to no good.
    I'm not sure I would call something that happened 8 or so years ago as "still up to no good". I am not disagreeing with how the current situation was handled.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Seems that it all ended just about right.

I guess I'm having a senior moment but what does the OP mean by "but bad cc..." in the title?
    I don't know what the hell I was thinking with the bad cc choice...guess when I read it the first time I missed the part about a rifle......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I don't know what the hell I was thinking with the bad cc choice...guess when I read it the first time I missed the part about a rifle......
    I was trying to make things fit like "criminal caught" or "crappy case" thanks for clearing that up! LOL
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    What has to be remembered in this case, is we're looking at 2 different set of possible charges. The first of shooting the abuser,which was found to be justifiable and the possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. On the surface it appears the police and DA's office handled this correctly.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

IMHO I think each case needs to be looked at on it's own merits,was the gun the Felons firearm,or did it belong to somebody in legal possession and that the Felon used it to stop the threat.
    If say during the Investigation it was determined that it was the Felons gun then charge him with the felon in possession,if he grabbed somebody elses gun to stop the threat then he shouldn't be charged
    Ogre likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree with the previous poster. According to my parolee friend though, he cannot have any weapons in his domicile of record. His PO told him that his, now EXwife couldn't even have a 22 rifle in the house.

Heck, when he comes over I lock my guns up not because I don't trust him but because I don't trust his ex!! She'd call cops to get him put back on on such a charge!!! Me too for that matter.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links