Elderly Orlando Man Stops Home Invasion (FL)

This is a discussion on Elderly Orlando Man Stops Home Invasion (FL) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WFTV ^ | October 27, 2006 | Staff ORLANDO, Fla. -- An elderly Orlando man was nearly the victim of a home invasion, but then ...

Thread: Elderly Orlando Man Stops Home Invasion (FL)

Exclamation Elderly Orlando Man Stops Home Invasion (FL)

WFTV ^ | October 27, 2006 | Staff

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An elderly Orlando man was nearly the victim of a home invasion, but then took matters into his own hands.

Four teens reportedly rang the doorbell of 73-year-old Harold Murphy’s home on Signal Hill road, Thursday night. When they tried to break in, he was waiting.

“Having been in the military for 30-years and in situations where I was shot at, I’m no stranger to danger,” said Harold Murphy.

Murphy served in the Navy fifty years ago and has a concealed weapons permit. So when someone started knocking on his door, he got ready.

“I just picked up my gun and stood in the bathroom door so I could watch my front door, in case someone kicked it in,” said Harold Murphy.

A few seconds later, he saw a shadow in the back of his home. Then, someone tried to pry open the window.

“I pulled the drape back and pointed the gun at them,” said Harold Murphy.

The suspects took off. Orlando police looked for the four men, but couldn't find them.

Murphy says this is the second time he's confronted burglars. In 1983, another burglar came through his front door. Murphy was again waiting with a gun.

Murphy says it doesn't matter that he's in his 70's, if you are an intruder you better watch out.

“I won’t shoot them outside the house. If they come inside, that's my castle, not theirs,” said Harold Murphy.

Orlando police say the four suspects were all wearing dark clothing. They are described as four black teenagers.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I think the punks may have encountered ''Murphy's law" at its best
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Luckily , Murphy did not have to shoot. I doubt waving the phone at the invaders and yelling "911" would have worked as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I'm glad another good guy (in this case, a battle-test one!) was able to do what needed to be done.....defend himself.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The business end of a firearm is worth more than a thousand words.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Lead Moderator
    Good to see folks standing up for themselves!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

A Firearm...

is the only true 'equalizer' for women and the elderly...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar

Talking

Only one part of this is untrue. In Florida a 73 year old is not considered elderly; they are called kids. There are people down here who don't have birthdays; they get Carbon 14 tests.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Glad to hear about another win for a legally armed citizen...but I am sooo sick of reading the same moronic cliche's; "An elderly Orlando man...took matters into his own hands. No, you idiot, he didn't "take the law/'matters'/whatever into his own hands", he did the common sense thing and defended his life.

What really burns me about this disgustingly overused phrase is the underlying implication/assumption that the supposed (politically) "correct" thing to do is wait until the police arrive and/or the perp robs/rapes/murders you. I think the brain-cell challenged driveby media needs to be flooded with letters and e-mails each time some ******* reporter uses any of these worn out phrases in relation to a self-defense incident.
    "...took the law/matters into their own hands...", "pistol packin'...", "...was packing heat...", "vigilante justice...", "..like Dodge City..." etc. all should be from news reports about armed citizens defending themselves. They serve no purpose in reporting the FACTS of the incident. Instead they help to continue to brainwash the population into being good little for the predators to dine on...

Here's another example:

http://www.theexaminer.com/npps/story.cfm?ID=962

Major Raymond Clark of the Port Arthur Police said the clerk’s behavior was not the norm in robberies. “That’s unusual. Businesses often have policies against firearms. We don’t recommend people take that kind of action, but we do want people to be able to protect themselves. This is only the first or second time something like that has happened this year.” Clark said the clerk endangered herself when she pulled the weapon. The general suggestion from Clark was, “Comply as much as possible.”
    Excuse me "Major"?!? The clerk was uninjured BECAUSE she pulled a weapon!! I respect LEO's immensely, but when I hear one of their "brothers" acting as a ventriloquist puppet for their political masters...it um..makes me not really respect that officer!!

If the Major's nose was a lot less brown and putrid, he should have said this:

Major Raymond Clark of the Port Arthur Police said the clerk’s behavior was not the norm in robberies. “That’s unusual. Businesses often have policies against firearms in the workplace, because politically correct, feel-good safety policies are more important than the lives of employees. We recommend people take whatever kind of preudent and reasonable action needed to be able to protect themselves. We also recommend that those who wish to use any kind of defensive tool to protect themselves, be it pepper spray, stun guns, firearms, or impact weapons; get training in both how, and more importantly WHEN to use them to defend themselves. So far this is only the first or second time something like that has happened this year, but being prepared to defend you life is a sensible precaution.” Clark said the clerk justifiably protected herself when she pulled the weapon. The general suggestion from Clark was, “Resist as much as you are possibly able and equipped to do. Do what is required to defend your life and nothing more, and stop once the threat is over."
    There..that's better...Don't ya think??
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Way to go, Harold.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

[QUOTE=BushidoMarine;221282]

Excuse me "Major"?!? The clerk was uninjured BECAUSE she pulled a weapon!! I respect LEO's immensely, but when I hear one of their "brothers" acting as a ventriloquist puppet for their political masters...it um..makes me not really respect that officer!!

QUOTE]

I'm with you. After an incident like this here in my town, our PD public affairs guy or whatever he is was int the newspaper explaining how you should hide and let them take whatever they want and leave.

Real smart, how about just letting the burglars know that the PD has now trained the citizenry to be complacent victims by printing it in the newspaper. The idiocy makes me sick.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    .... our PD public affairs guy or whatever he is was int the newspaper explaining how you should hide and let them take whatever they want and leave.

Real smart, how about just letting the burglars know that the PD has now trained the citizenry to be complacent victims by printing it in the newspaper...
    Why not just pile all your valuables and guns out on the porch and leave a light on? Or better yet, load em up in the back of your truck and leave the keys in it?

If you decide to follow this advice... how about emailing me your address...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Haha, cphilip! Good one!

Seriously, how STUPID is it to essentially announce to the criminal element, "Our official policy is that it is best that the law-abiding people GIVE UP when confronted by you. Expect no resistance. We WILL NOT FIGHT YOU."?!

Speaking of stupid law enforcement officers, check out this snippet:

From the LA Daily News of October 18, 2006
    Woman shoots would-be burglar in Canyon Country

A woman shot a gang member Wednesday who had broken into her Canyon Country home while his mother waited outside in the getaway car, sheriff's deputies said.

The 29-year-old suspect, whose wounds were not life-threatening, snapped the lock on the homeowner's screen door and barged in, as the woman retreated to the back yard, gun in hand, according to a sheriff's report.

"To be honest it's fairly rare, but occasionally it does pay off to own a gun," sheriff's Lt. Tom Bryski said.

When suspect Mike Lugo of Palmdale approached the woman about 10:45 a.m. through her back door, yelling at her as he advanced, the woman shot him with a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver. Frightened, she hit him twice in the abdomen and once in the leg, missing a fourth shot, Bryski said.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The idiot says that it is rare, but it occasionally pays off. Let me ask him this, doesn't it just need to pay off once?

Try telling that it occassionally pays off to these people.

http://claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

Zundfolge originally posted this link in "1000 Actual Stories of Self Defense" thread. Thanks Zundfolge!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    glad no one was hurt....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Links