Store manager returns fire...

This is a discussion on Store manager returns fire... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It will be interesting to see what happens here as the facts are revealed. East Knoxville armed robbery ends in gunfire Knoxville News Sentinel...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Store manager returns fire...

It will be interesting to see what happens here as the facts are revealed.

East Knoxville armed robbery ends in gunfire Knoxville News Sentinel
    Sunny likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

The manager, however, then chased after the suspect, who ran west from the business.
    Why do people do that?

Waiting for all the facts but it donesn't sound good for the shooter..I don't know it's hard for me to make the call on a good shoot.

Chasing the perp out the door and engaging in a gunfight over stolen money isn't the smartest move, IMHO. The threat had left the building. Lock the door and dial 911. Good the bg lost the battle, but I'm thinking the trouble is just beginning for this store manager. Hope I'm wrong.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Waiting for all the facts but it donesn't sound good for the shooter..I don't know it's hard for me to make the call on a good shoot.
    It is for me also. If the guy is fleeing the store, the threat is pretty much over. Apparently the gunfire took place after the store manager pursued the suspect. I don't know what this particular company's policy is on carrying at work, but I'll bet they don't stand behind their manager.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I'm thinking the trouble is just beginning for this store manager. Hope I'm wrong.
    I'll wager that you're right, sadly for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post
    Why do people do that?
    I don't know. Dollar General's seem to be a favorite target lately. Here's another incident that ended on a better note.

Armed Retailer Prevents Robbery

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I don't know. Dollar General's seem to be a favorite target lately. Here's another incident that ended on a better note.

Armed Retailer Prevents Robbery
    The manager replied that his knife was bigger and put his hands in his pocket. The suspect fled
    Much better outcome. (Kinda sad that Paul Hogan has been reduced to working at Dollar General, though...)
    msgt/ret, ep1953, DJC7 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post
    Much better outcome. (Kinda sad that Paul Hogan has been reduced to working at Dollar General, though...)
    I thought of that when I read it also.
    Naufragia likes this.

While it is dumb to chase a robber who has fled, it isn't against the law to do so. It was against the law for the robber to shoot at the victim. Very, very dumb to give chase, but the facts as we know them don't sound like the employee did anything illegal for returning fire to defend himself. Just my opinion, I'm certainly no LEO or attorney. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    There is space between inadvisable and illegal. I have never been made aware of any legal requirement to allow an armed felon to escape. We will see how it all shakes.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    While it is dumb to chase a robber who has fled, it isn't against the law to do so. It was against the law for the robber to shoot at the victim. Very, very dumb to give chase, but the facts as we know them don't sound like the employee did anything illegal for returning fire to defend himself. Just my opinion, I'm certainly no LEO or attorney. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    That's the reason I posted the story. We run quite a few threads on carrying at work and various scenarios involved with that. Here's a real situation to look at. I'll be interested in Dollar General's response, law enforcement and the district attorney's response, and any civil litigation that arises from the incident. All of this, of course, assumes that the body discovered a block away was actually the suspect. Last night, the police were treating it as two separate incidents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    That's the reason I posted the story. We run quite a few threads on carrying at work and various scenarios involved with that. Here's a real situation to look at. I'll be interested in Dollar General's response, law enforcement and the district attorney's response, and any civil litigation that arises from the incident. All of this, of course, assumes that the body discovered a block away was actually the suspect. Last night, the police were treating it as two separate incidents.
    Rough neighborhood.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Perhaps he might be able to use the same defense that police use when bad or not the wisest judgment is used the heat of a conflict. Something about not being able to shut down after a high adrenalin rush.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Perhaps he might be able to use the same defense that police use when bad or not the wisest judgment is used the heat of a conflict. Something about not being able to shut down after a high adrenalin rush.
    How well does that defense strategy usually work?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links