3 students stop school bus shooting, get suspended! Ft Myers FL

This is a discussion on 3 students stop school bus shooting, get suspended! Ft Myers FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cypress HS students suspended for disarming gunman? - WFTX-TV Fort Myers/Naples, FL FORT MYERS, Fla. - A 16-year-old Cypress Lake High School student, who wrestled ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 3 students stop school bus shooting, get suspended! Ft Myers FL

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Cypress HS students suspended for disarming gunman? - WFTX-TV Fort Myers/Naples, FL

FORT MYERS, Fla. - A 16-year-old Cypress Lake High School student, who wrestled a loaded revolver away from a teen threatening to shoot, is being punished.

The student grappled the gun away from the 15-year-old suspect on the bus ride home Tuesday after witnesses say he aimed the weapon point blank at another student and threatened to shoot him.

The student, who Fox 4 has agreed not to identify because he fears for his safety, says there's "no doubt" he saved a life by disarming the gunman. And for that he was suspended for three days.

"I think he was really going to shoot him right then and there," the student said. "Not taking no pity."

The student says he wrestled the .22 caliber RG-14 Revolver away from the suspect, a football player, who witnesses say threatened to shoot a teammate because he had been arguing with his friend.

"No doubt," the student said, "he was going to shoot him point blank."

The teen we spoke to and authorities both confirm the Revolver was loaded. According to the arrest report the suspect, who Fox 4 is not naming because he is a minor, was "pointing the gun directly" at another student and "threatening to shoot him."

That's when the student we spoke with says he and two others tackled the teen and wrestled away the gun. The next day the school slapped him with a three day suspension.

"It's dumb," he said. "How they going to suspend me for doing the right thing?"

According to the referral, he was suspended for being part of an "incident" where a weapon was present and given an "emergency suspension."

"If they wouldn't of did what they had to do on that bus," the teen's mother said, "I think there would have been a lot of fatalities."

The mother agreed to talk with us in disguise. She can't understand why her son, and two other students who disarmed the gunman, were all suspended.

"Those kids had to fight for their lives," she said. "All the kids that was involved in this they should have a pat on their backs because they did the right thing to save someone from burying their child."

According to the mother, the school suspended her son because he refused to cooperate in the investigation. She says he was scared.

Fox 4 asked the Lee County School District about the suspension.

"We cannot discuss specifics involving students," said district spokesman Alberto Rodriguez in a statement. "Florida law allows the principal to suspend a student immediately pending a hearing."

On Thursday Fox 4 tried to get answers from Tracey Perkins, the principal of Cypress Lake High School.

"Were those students suspended?," asked Fox 4 reporter Matt Grant, before she drove off.

"Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves," the teen's mother said referring to the school's administration, adding that the suspended students "need their education."

The teen who wrestled the gun away can go back to school Monday, his mother said.

Despite the fact the suspect pointed a load gun at another student and threatened to shoot authorities charged him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon "without intent" to kill.

We asked the sheriff's office about that.

"The investigation is ongoing," said Sgt. David Valez in a statement. "The charges presented to [the suspect] are based on our findings at this time."

Authorities were unable to watch the school bus surveillance video because the cameras weren't working.

The 15-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with posession of a firearm on school property and assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill.

He was taken to the juvenile justice center.

Last month, a 14-year-old Mariner Middle School was arrested for bringing a .22 caliber gun and a Panther brand stungun to class.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Well if I lived there I'd be camped on some bodies door step and getting a fund going, there could have been one terrible mess

Probably gun toter was one of the teachers kids or someone in the school system. By all means lets suspend anybody that takes any active role in preventing a school shooting. How else can we get everyones guns if there arent school massacres and kids around like this one to stop em??? I think ill be sick now, excuse me.
    mprp likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Well....I think the whole "not cooperating" thing is what did it. Not saying it's right, but after an incident like that and you refusing to cooperate with the investigation? What was the school supposed to think? He may not have been suspended had he cooperated from the beginning. Maybe they thought he was trying to hide something by not cooperating?

Not sure what's going on with these kids bringing guns to school. What happened to a good old fashioned dust up? You lived to fight another day! Not these days. Props to those 3 teens for their actions. None of them should have been suspended.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    Well....I think the whole "not cooperating" thing is what did it. Not saying it's right, but after an incident like that and you refusing to cooperate with the investigation? What was the school supposed to think? He may not have been suspended had he cooperated from the beginning. Maybe they thought he was trying to hide something by not cooperating?

Not sure what's going on with these kids bringing guns to school. What happened to a good old fashioned dust up? You lived to fight another day! Not these days. Props to those 3 teens for their actions. None of them should have been suspended.
    Those days are gone. And realistically the kid did what he needed to do to stop the tragedy. Thats about all the school needed to know.
    Now I know this isnt right but to teens or most teens getting pegged a rat is about as bad as it can get.
    This kid did what even most adults wouldnt attempt to stop a shooting, shooting was stopped there were other witnesses and he probably figured hed done his part without getting say the whole football team down on him for "ratting on their teammate" for the rest of his school career? Again not saying thats the right way to think but its probably a realistic thing to think for the kid.

Things dont work for kids in school like they used too. Which is a shame.
    NONAME762 and oneshot like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post

Depends on how the cops and school officials were acting. I've a hunch they all wanted to get on the guy who was
    actually in possession of the handgun, not the one he took it from. Maybe they pushed to know
    how and when he first found out and if he knew about it ahead of time. Just speculation, but
    I bet it wasn't a nice polite chat.

I'd not be surprised if he answered a few questions and got them tossed back at him as lies or misrepresentations, or just restated wrongly.

There may be another side to this. A 3 day suspension might be necessary just to give officials
    time to sort through all the evidence and witness statements and make certain it really was
    as straight forward a "good Samaritan" deal as it seems on the surface.

The accusation, 'being present at an incident...where a weapon was present..." is pretty wimpy IMO. They'd suspend the victim of an armed robbery on the same grounds? Probably so!!!!
    Its NO BRAINS SYNDROME.
    Ghost1958 and atctimmy like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

That is UNREAL...?!? He is being made an example of.... either die or get suspended/expelled for fighting.... for your life. INCREDIBLE...
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Well it does state he does not want to be indentified because he fears for his safety. That may very well have a lot to do with his not cooperating. Apparently he expects reprisals from someone for disarming the kid that he disarmed.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I 'spose they'd be happier if he steered the bus into a sinkhole?
    goldshellback likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    There's got to be more to this story. I'll hold comment until more is uncovered and more facts get out.
    atctimmy and jibbr71 like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by srings View Post
    There's got to be more to this story. I'll hold comment until more is uncovered and more facts get out.

There IS more to it: Lee County teen pulls gun in school bus dispute - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

When the victim got home, he told his mom what had just happened. She called the Fort Myers Police Department, who called the Lee County Sheriff's Office.
    A detective with the Lee County Sheriff's Office tried to access the video footage from the school bus surveillance; but it was not working properly and nothing was recorded during the time of the alleged attack.
    But during his investigation, Davis was identified as a possible suspect in the case.
    The detective spoke with Davis' mother, who allowed him to search her son's room. According to the report, investigators found a loaded .22 caliber RG 14 revolver in Davis' dresser drawer.
    Seems NOBODY told the bus driver what was going on and NONE of the students called the police from the bus. The 'heros' even gave the suspect the revolver BACK TO HIM... *facepalm*

They are ALL STUPID and/or scared
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    There IS more to it: Lee County teen pulls gun in school bus dispute - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Seems NOBODY told the bus driver what was going on and NONE of the students called the police from the bus. The 'heros' even gave the suspect the revolver BACK TO HIM... *facepalm
    They are ALL STUPID and/or scared
    Knowing zero tolerance policies and how they may affect the decisions of said hero, I'm not surprised that he would want to keep it hush hush for fear of being suspended. That's the message it sends.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    the school system is absolutley insane... lets punish someone for a good deed, goes to show you how liberal the school systems are
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by srings View Post
    Don't be surprised when there isn't "more to the story" .

4 guys .... known to be big school bullies and always got away with beating on other kids , 1 a teacher's son, 1 a son of a rather rich family, etc. However, my son was taught to stand up for himself, and how to defend himself, and not be a victim.
    They cornered him in the auto shop ..... all 4 of them, with the intent to beat him up. They first put two deep gouges into the car with some tools & a dent, that he was working on to repaint (an older classic .. which was MINE), one of them 4 ft long across the trunk and very deep. When they had showed up out there, he advised the teacher that he thought there was going to be a problem (as they had threatened to 'get him' ) ... and the teacher did nothing. They were not in class and had no business being out there.

Long story short, when one of them took a swing at him, it was on. He ended up on the winning end of the deal. One of them (their little leader) got the worse of it and was threatening to kill him. He pretty much wiped the floor with all 4 of them. So, the school ..... suspended my son. I guess because he won the fight. They told me " a student is not allowed to defend himself" .

So..... I went to meet and raise hell with the Administration (Principle and V-Principle).... and in that conversation , asked them if they had called the police for the assault and battery on my son, the threats, the damage to the car, etc. They told me the Laws of the state don't apply in the school...... and neither did the "self-defense" laws....... mistake on their part. They said the "police have no business on the grounds of this school and this is school business" . They didn't want two of these two boys in any trouble because they were Seniors and going to try to (supposedly) go into the Army after graduation.

My response was..... "let's find out" and I called and talked to the Police Chief, and while sitting with the Principle and Vice-Principle there, told him what was going on .... and that they have damaged "my car" ... and personally, I wanted them arrested. The Police Chief said , this is normal for them.... and he was obviously ticked, and told me they would be there in 1 minute (it took him 2 minutes to be standing in the office with me). I told them, it seems the Police Chief disagrees with you too ... and he's on his way here. They told me .>>>>>> ready for this >>>>> YOU RUINED THEIR CHANCES to get in the ARMY .... to which I replied, I"m not responsible for what they did , they are responsible for what they did.... and it was THEY who ruined their chances, not me.

They were arrested. I couldn't help but tell the Principle, as I layed a card of an attorney on his desk..... .I don't think they will be at school tomorrow, since 3 of them are 18 yrs old and this is adult charges, and I will have my son here in the morning to go to class..... if you want to refuse to let him attend classes, I advise you to call the attorney on that card.... as I've already talked to him , and he'll advise you what comes next.

Schools..... ARE that stupid.

He was in class the next morning... and I walked him to class. Not another word was said to him nor me from them.

Oh... a funny side note...... the Police Chief asked me at one point to meet him at the entrance to the school property with the car. So, I did. I didn't know what he had in mind. He wanted to stand there and "just talk" ...... as it was time for all the students to get out of school..... and he wanted to make it very clear .... they had these 4 guys cuffed and putting them in police cars, etc...... and he sent the message to the other students ..... you want to do this too, he'll come and take you away too.

the "leader" of this little group ...... was arrested about 3-4 months later while out on bail awaiting trial..... for assault with a deadly weapon, and several other related charges. Someone ticked him off in front of his parents house, and he shoved a gun in the guy's face and then threatened kill him and the other 3 people in the guy's car as well ..... he went later took a trip into the State Prison system. So much for the Army plan.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    According to the referral, he was suspended for being part of an "incident" where a weapon was present and given an "emergency suspension."
    In which case, they should have suspended that entire busload of kids, fired the bus driver. It's not as though proximity = culpability. Perhaps the administrators in question didn't get the memo.

I have zero tolerance for Zero Tolerance.

We should rename it to Stupidity Knows No Bounds.
    atctimmy and FreeFalling like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links