Kidnapper held at gunpoint...

This is a discussion on Kidnapper held at gunpoint... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; from civilian gun defense blog Jacksonville, Florida From WJXT channel 4 October 21, 2006: A man who could have spent his life behind bars for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kidnapper held at gunpoint...

Kidnapper held at gunpoint...

from civilian gun defense blog
    Jacksonville, Florida

From WJXT channel 4 October 21, 2006:

A man who could have spent his life behind bars for the 2005 kidnapping of a 10-year-old boy pleaded guilty to the crime and was sentenced to 30 years on Friday. Last October, David Nieves broke into a Westside home and grabbed the child from his bedroom. Police credit the boy's father with saving his son.
    During his testimony, the victim's father also said that he had stopped Nieves and had a gun to his head and held him there for 35 minutes until police arrived. He said during that time he considered shooting the kidnapper, then looked at the judge, saying, 'It's not my job to punish him, it's your job."

The father held BG for 35 minutes until the police arrived. Geez that's a pretty long time...The father had a lot of patience and control. If somebody just tried to kidnapp my kid, I'm not sure if I could have done the same.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Probably(?) would not have shot him,but he would have not been in the best of condition after he resisted my attempts to hold him for police.

This is why I have a couple of sets of handcuffs in my home and one in my truck. Right wrist to left ankle makes it rather difficult to run or fight.-------

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    35 minutes..... trying to take my kid..... That is a very restrained individual. I'm not sure I would have been able to do it.

I just can't believe the cops took that long. That's unbelievable.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

35 minutes--------is 34 minutes too long.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    35 minutes--------is 34 minutes too long.
    I think that 35 seconds would have been too long!

Can you imagine what that would have been like? What would have been said? I don't think I could have done that. They would have picked that guy up in an ambulance. Anyways, goes to show that police CAN NOT be there to save you. If it takes 35 minutes to respond to something like this, you obviously have to depend on yourself.

He Certainly Displayed...

34 more minutes of self-control than I would have been able to muster up...

Attempt to kidnap my child or grandchild?...

He would not have seen the light of day...or moonlight if that would have been the case...

What a scumbag!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    The father held BG for 35 minutes until the police arrived. Geez that's a pretty long time...
    If a violent felon in the house and being held awaiting police assistance didn't rate an urgent response, it's hard to imagine what would. Absolutely, we're on our own. Kudos to the father for being able to cut short a horrible situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would like to say that i would have that much restaint. But some dirt ball kidnapping my kid "IT'S GO TIME"
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

The article mentioned the father found his son and the perp outside when the perp was trying to get the boy over the fence...and the perp has his pants down...that is one restrained father

...I would have taken the headshot...

I would have taken the headshot
    Yea.....The small head

I have had 2 buddies murdered by recently released felons......I'll say no more on an open forum

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Probably(?) would not have shot him,but he would have not been in the best of condition after he resisted my attempts to hold him for police.

This is why I have a couple of sets of handcuffs in my home and one in my truck. Right wrist to left ankle makes it rather difficult to run or fight.-------
    Careful, most wrist-sized handcuffs will not fit over an adult male's ankle.

I have always wondered if it is practical, or how practical it is, to hold someone at gunpoint like that for any extended length of time. It's so easy to imagine that the badguy will eventually get bold, start to test you, challenge you. If you're sitting there with a gun and not much else, or nothing else, how close do you let an unarmed guy get to you as he says, "What're you gonna do, toughguy?"

I mean, the obvious answer is to let him stand up if that's what he chooses to do, and then shoot him and say that he was on his way to fighting you for control over the gun that you justifiably had aimed at him to keep him there until police arrived. "I guess he just couldn't wait THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES, your honor."

Actually 35 min. wait is not really unrealistic, it depends on where you live, how far away closes officer is, what the traffic is like, what the weather is like, and who knows what other variables may come into play. Before the county crerated a new zone here, there was only one officer for this area, responce could be as much as 1 hour, regardless of call.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Actually 35 min. wait is not really unrealistic, it depends on where you live, how far away closes officer is, what the traffic is like, what the weather is like, and who knows what other variables may come into play. Before the county crerated a new zone here, there was only one officer for this area, responce could be as much as 1 hour, regardless of call.
    With due respect to LEO's and all that you do - 35 minutes (let alone an hour) is simply unacceptable unless perhaps you're in a small, out of the way rural area.

I live in southwest Denver / Littleton and have had LE at my place a couple of times for minor things - Never fast enough had it been a true emergency. Protect yourselves!

I agree with most here - Unlikely he'd have been in good shape (if breathing) by the time the police arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    If you're sitting there with a gun and not much else, or nothing else, how close do you let an unarmed guy get to you as he says, "What're you gonna do, toughguy?"
    He stays put, face down/away, arms out, palms up, legs crossed ... or he gets put back down.

(I realize the above was posted semi tongue-in-cheek. This post is for everyone else on the principles and risks involved.)

One biggie, here: it's simply not possible to know if a BG felon is unarmed. Heck, we go around armed as CHL/CCW carriers every day and the vast majority of folks scanning us don't have the first clue. Been stopped by an officer once, as well, and he didn't know / couldn't tell, at least until I informed him. Discretion being the better part of valor ... Statistics I have heard suggest that the strong majority of violent felons are, indeed, armed. Seems ludicrous to take any chances.

A BG would know it's a firearm I've got and that I've told him he's staying put. He would also have been told and would understand that any attempt to do anything else will be seen as continuation of his direct, violent attack on me, and it will be treated as such. Any such continuation would be done (a) in the knowledge that I'm armed and near, and (b) in the apparent belief that he could disarm me (with deadly ramifications). Isn't going to happen, while I'm still breathing. Even if it takes multiple instances of persuasion, to convince him. His choice, no question.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links