Open Carry Permitted in Michigan Schools if you have a CPL... for now.

This is a discussion on Open Carry Permitted in Michigan Schools if you have a CPL... for now. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last fall, there was a bill that was passed but vetoed by the Governor of MI that would have permitted people to get an advanced ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MJClark
  • 1 Post By JasonJ

Thread: Open Carry Permitted in Michigan Schools if you have a CPL... for now.

Last fall, there was a bill that was passed but vetoed by the Governor of MI that would have permitted people to get an advanced CPL, and be able to carry in most places, including schools... if it was concealed.

When he vetoed the bill, many of my liberal teacher friends where thrilled, until I explained that the according to the Michigan State Police and Attorney General, you can currently open carry in schools. But the proposed bills would have eliminated that loophole. It was amazing how the cheers and FB posts turned to silence.

Looks like the MEA is now trying to close that loophole....

LANSING, MI -- Michigan Education Association President Steve Cook today formally endorsed legislation designed to close what he called a "dangerous loophole" in Michigan law allowing concealed pistol permit holders to openly-carry guns in schools.

Cook joined bill sponsor and Democratic state Rep. Andy Schor of Lansing at the Michigan Capitol, making the case for HB 4104 on the three-month anniversary of a deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
    LINK to full story

Personally, I think that they should permit concealed carry in schools, and it is a better choice than open carry... but after this bill passes, you will not be able to do either.
    TexasTerri likes this.

2. Remove Ads

If memory serves me I believe one of the governor's reasons for the veto was be wanted a business to have the weight of law on gun buster signs.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

To the best of my knowledge they are going to introduce another version of that bill. I know multi-teared system can be a pain, but IMO I think it is worth it....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

riiiight because us CPL holders are so dangerous, after the hoops we have to jump through to get the license.. we statistically commit crime at a lower rate than Law Enforcement, yet we are grouped in with all of the crazed psychotic killers who just happen to use guns instead of bombs and knives to do their damage.
    NONAME762 likes this.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Links