This is what we dread. KNOW your target.

This is a discussion on This is what we dread. KNOW your target. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man's pregnant wife mistaken for intruder. Wife and child died. Story here: http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/yhr...last-week-dies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: This is what we dread. KNOW your target.

This is what we dread. KNOW your target.

Man's pregnant wife mistaken for intruder. Wife and child died.

Story here: http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/yhr...last-week-dies
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Hard to imagine a person could mistake another's mere presence to equate to a violent and deadly attack in progress, unless that were actually the case. But then, the news articles don't have many specifics about exactly what was seen/known at the time.

Sad.

A good lesson for all of us.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I just can't imagine the mindset that allows you to even put sights on a person in your house until you knew for sure that it was someone that did not belong there; especially in the room that you share with the person you pledged the rest of your life to.

Sad story, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I just can't imagine the mindset that allows you to even put sights on a person in your house until you knew for sure that it was someone that did not belong there ...

Training and role-playing scenarios can go a long way, for some of these basics. Any whole-family plan needs to include such things, to better deal with fire, intruders, hunkering down for tornadoes/storms, etc.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't buy the story that he "mistook her for an intruder."

Much more info in this article and video: Terrace Heights shooting victim dies | Top Video | KIMA CBS 29 - News, Weather and Sports - Yakima, WA
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

if it truly was an accident, and it was me... i would have to be on suicide watch. Thats absolutely tragic and disturbing to ponder. So sad.

This is why even in the dark, even in a self defense or home defense situation we must ALWAYS KNOW OUR TARGET AND WHAT LIES BEYOND IT!!! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. Otherwise, do not fire.

My home defense pistol in the gun vault next to my bed also has a 200 lumen LED flashlight with constantly fresh batteries just for this reason, it both stuns the intruder and allows me to see what/who I am point my gun at.

I read a few more articles on this, it seems that he woke up, saw "someone" in the room and without warning or any other reaction, fired 2-9 shots at the "unknown individual."

So you wake up just before dawn, someones in your room and you shoot them a half dozen times without asking who are you, what are you doing here, who's that, stop, hold it, etc...umm.. either ridiculously carelessly dumb, or not an accident.
    msgt/ret likes this.

That is a horrible thing to have happen. I agree that training and SA is just as important has having a weapon.

VIP Member
    I'm not buying it.

Most of us live in homes with other occupants and the occasional surprise that comes with co-existing with family members.

It would take a lot to convince me that he didn't know who his target was.
    Tzadik, phreddy, MrsHB and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Not buying it either. I bet there is a lot more to this story.
    msgt/ret, Snub44 and Doghandler like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Nope, can't believe it.

I will take the opposite opinion. I beleive the story for one simple reason: the world is filled with idiots. Idiots that leave their kids in the car to die because they forgot they were in the car, Idiots that leave their kids on the roof of their cars. What is so hard to beleive some idiot wakes up and starts firing at something without identifying it? Just look at how many idiots are out their that have ND's. Idiots like the one that took his gun out at church to to show someone and kills the pastors daughter by accident. Navy SeAL trying to impress date about gun safety and blows his head off.

Yeah, I can beleive an idiot could do this.

Prayers for all involved. It is a tragedy.
    Sig 210 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

A tragedy indeed. But it does sound fishy.

Nope not buying it. Think he shot her on purpose for whatever reason.
    Only wife and me here. I know instantly when I wake up if shes beside me or not. How could you not know??? Especially to the point that you shot the person and never missed them in a bed beside you??

If shes in bed with me, whoever im looking at shouldnt be there and all bets are off. If shes not im pretty sure everything is fine since shes awake and not yelling bloody murder or shooting someone herself LOL.
    Jeanlouise, lchamp and Sig 210 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I bet the fact that she was 10 weeks pregnant has something to do with it.

Also, she was shot in the neck. If you were just shooting at "someone" in the dark...so dark that you didn't know it was YOUR WIFE...don't you think that was awfully lucky of him to hit her there? Maybe that's just me because I'm not as good a shot as most of you, be even so...
    MrsHB likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links