Good: man defends house with shotgun

This is a discussion on Good: man defends house with shotgun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alabama Man Anticipates Burglar's Return, Kills Intruder With One Shot I especially like what the Assistant Sheriff had to say about the incident, “I’m sure ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 2 Post By Brad426
  • 2 Post By lionround
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Good: man defends house with shotgun

VIP Member

Good: man defends house with shotgun

Alabama Man Anticipates Burglar's Return, Kills Intruder With One Shot

I especially like what the Assistant Sheriff had to say about the incident, “I’m sure at the time [the homeowner] felt he was in danger so he took what action he thought he needed to take at the time to protect himself,” Smith said. “You can back away from anything, but home is as far backwards as you can go. At what point do you leave your house to let them have it? Your home is your castle, you can only retreat so far as your home.”

I think, "Molon Labe" pretty well sums up this homeowners feeling.
    gasmitty, Sig 210, RickyD and 1 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

In this case you have the law enforcement telling the guy he was in fear of his life. In other jurisdictions the police and DA would be asking him to prove he was in fear of his life and not just defending property.
    ep1953 and Jeanlouise like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I have said it before, but I love a story with a happy ending. Burglar's occupational hazard, lead poisoning.
    ep1953 and JDE101 like this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Doncha feel sorry for all the lawyers who won't be able to defend him in so many courts?

I'm sure the gentleman who did the shooting is conflicted over what he had to do. I hope he gets the professional help he'll need to deal with this.

We would like to thank Mr. Lacey, who was well-known to the police, for his early retirement.
    We would also like to thank him for saving the tax payers a ton of money for his trial and incarceration costs...well done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Depends on the statutes of the state and the integrity of the DA to the spirit of the laws related to people protecting themselves, as to whether such a situation (in general) would be seen as a straightforward defense of the home or lying-in-wait. Some DA's haven't been traditionally too keen on letting someone "off" when there's a body on the slab and someone still standing.

Still, kudos to the homeowner for stopping the intrusion.

It is what it is. Come into my home with dark intentions, and you're going to be stopped or ejected. No two ways about it.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

good for the homeowner. it will send out a message around where the incident happen and maybe the next badguy will think twice before breaking into a house. therefor possibly saving someone else from having to use deadly force or save some innocent woman or child from the sick people in this world

From the article:

"Though the Albertville investigators will present their findings to a grand jury, they don’t believe the homeowner will be indicted. The Albertville Police have yet to elaborate, but Smith told WHNT that they were familiar with Lacey from other investigations."

Lacey was obviously a misunderstood youth (he was only in his early forties) that just needed a little more time to turn his life around. Now he will never get the chance. Too bad, so sad!

Good job Mr. Homeowner! And I would also like to send a thank you to the local police. Assistant Chief Smith didn't give the name of the home owner to allow the relatives and friends of the now DRT Lacey to harass him.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Lacey was obviously a misunderstood youth (he was only in his early forties) that just needed a little more time to turn his life around.
    Well, he was turned around fairly effectively. Turned around until he was face-down, toes-up.

Moral of the story: don't invade people's homes, and you won't risk them refusing you.
    ep1953 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not too sure on this one. Sounds like he was staking out a house he owned as a rental, not that someone broke into his home (abode) while he was there. This is more of defending property (a rental unit) than protecting one's life in a home. I don't know AL law, but I hope it works out for the owner.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I hope I wasn't too subtle with my sarcasm.

I just love stories with a happy ending!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Dang Jean, smart & cute too!

My home is surrounded by woods. I would have no idea what threat I would face outside my home.

It is written as if he was in a hunting blind, and the game came. LEO did the field dressing.

Links