Pit Bull Attack

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I shot a pit bull once in the course of my employment... I was suprised that a .45 didn't put it down faster. I had ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Attack

Administrator
    I shot a pit bull once in the course of my employment... I was suprised that a .45 didn't put it down faster. I had a just about perfect vital shot, but ended up having to shoot it again in the head.
    I really hated doing it, I love dogs. It needed to be done though. Truth be told, I think it would have bothered me less to shoot the owner.

2. Remove Ads

Pit Bulls deserve all of the attention that they get. 22's are nice guns but a little on the weak side for large agressive animals, although a brain shot would work better than a lung heart shot.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

excellent post - providing food for thought and good discussion.
    welcome to the forum and thanks for the post.
    good outcome, IMHO, but as others mentioned I'd consider a larger caliber for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I think my concern would be the caliber size. I've owned a pit and worked with a good breeder in the past. This is a dog that can really soak up some damage and keep coming. Personally, I think he'd respond faster to OC than a .22 unless it was a really well placed shot.

In my experience there has been more problems with idiot owners and back yard breeders who don't have a clue what they've got than the breed in general. The breeder I knew fought against dog fighting and worked hard to screen owners. Certainly not a dog for a casual owner and the owner of that dog sounds like another one in the idiot category. I hope the attack was reported?
    +1
    ELCruisr said it all for me.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I'm glad you guys are OK.

You did the right thing- you got back home A-OK. It's hard to argue with that kind of result.

I probably would have shot him, but I'm sure it would have resulted in a huge hassle.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Glad you guys are all right, welcome to the forum....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Not to make dog trouble, but the "punish the deed and not the breed" crowd seems to be out to lunch. I'm sure there are "nice" pitbulls, but the inordinant number of incidents w/ pits, compared to other breeds, as well as the damage they are capable of inflicting makes me lean on the shoot it side of this thread.

I've never read a story of a group of pugs, or springer spaniels killing anyone. That headline almost always involves pitbulls. At some point, a coincidence isn't a coincidence and it winds up being an issue with the breed (and the breeders).

My 2 cents. Glad you had a safe outcome.

Glad you were unhurt. My wife was attacked and bitten on the leg by a Pitt Bull last year while delivering the mail. (kind'a stereotypical, I know) The "authorities" quaranteend the dog for a couple of days and then sent it back home to its owners to bite someone else.

I would have killed it if it was my dog. If any of my dogs bites someone, its dead, period.

Anyway, I am not a fan of warning shots, but since it was a .22 into the ground, IMO you did ok.

As far as stopping a dog, with a .22. You need to wait until he gets in close and shoot him in the top of the head. He'll stop! I've done it; it works.

Regards, and stay safe.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Not to make dog trouble, but the "punish the deed and not the breed" crowd seems to be out to lunch. I'm sure there are "nice" pitbulls, but the inordinant number of incidents w/ pits, compared to other breeds, as well as the damage they are capable of inflicting makes me lean on the shoot it side of this thread.

I've never read a story of a group of pugs, or springer spaniels killing anyone. That headline almost always involves pitbulls. At some point, a coincidence isn't a coincidence and it winds up being an issue with the breed (and the breeders).
    Last time I saw the numbers the most prolific biters were poodles. Many a child has needed facial reconstruction surgery because of attacks by the "pretty little dogs" on their faces. Not much sensation there so the press does not sensationalize them.

While I can't agree with villifieing the whole breed for some reason dumb idiots who want a mean dangerous dog often select it as do drug dealers. In raising a dog of this potential that way I will agree they have created a dangerous uncontrolled weapon but the owner should still pay a big price for this as well as destroying the dog.

Be very, very glad they have not focused on bull mastiffs. Then you would long for the good ol' pit bull days. Bull Mastiff breeders will often investigate potential owners closely and require extensive training of the dog as part of the sales agreement. Imagine a triple size pit bull and you'll get the picture. I wish pit breeders would adopt a similar attitude. However on the flip side a very well trained and CONTROLLED pit or bull mastiff in a situation of life or death is as good or better then most handguns. Just my personal opinion....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

First of all I'm not sure how affective a .22 would be against an attacking dog, though in this case just the noise was enough. It sounds to me like it wasn't all that intent on hurting you. I'd carry atleast a 9mm next time through that area. Also, pepper spray is likely better against an attacking dog than you might think. They are MUCH more sensitive to it than humans, and there would be no paperwork to worry about.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I was not there but..... a couple ?'s.

Why did you not shoot the dog? Thinking back on it do you feel it was wise to discharge your firearm in the dirt at your feet? Did you notify any LEO about your encounter or the fireing of your weapon? Will you continue to carry a .22 ?

This is not a condemnation of your actions,as stated,I was not there. -------

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I shot a pit bull once in the course of my employment... I was suprised that a .45 didn't put it down faster. I had a just about perfect vital shot, but ended up having to shoot it again in the head.
    I really hated doing it, I love dogs. It needed to be done though. Truth be told, I think it would have bothered me less to shoot the owner.
    My sentiments exactly.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard!

It's sure would be easy for me to sit here and "armchair quarterback" this but I won't. The bottom line is, thank God, you and the Mrs. are okay.

It does make me re-think having pepper spray on me though!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Manwell View Post
    Iím disappointed that you didnít kill the damn thingÖ What if you walked off and the dog ran off and attacked some little kid or anyone else for the matter? Had I been in your position, that dog would have been dead, right on the spot. I would have killed the dog, re-holstered my weapon and walked away.

Manwell
    Bang!! good bye
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Other dogs do bite of course, but you do don't see a story about a poodle or a golden retriever ripping an appendage off of somebody in the news do you? Just my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links