Pit Bull Attack - Page 3

Pit Bull Attack

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am a bit concerned with the just shoot it crowd... Ever try to shoot a moving/attacking dog? Its not an easy task, they refuse ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Attack

Administrator
    I am a bit concerned with the just shoot it crowd... Ever try to shoot a moving/attacking dog? Its not an easy task, they refuse to hold still.
    A poor hit with a .22 has got to be worthless, as I found with with a .45. Perhaps we should start discussing tactics for this situation rather than "just shoot it".

I'll start; I have found it easier to put down any animal if you can get right on top of them, and use a point blank central nervous system hit. Of course this is an ideal situation, and if your the one being bitten, take what you can get. Also, I'm no expert at shooting dogs, but I have done it a couple of times. I also have to shoot raccoons almost weekly, and this time of year an injured deer almost daily.

pepper spray too?!!!?? Geeze how much crap can one person carry. Between a wallet, keys, blackberry, flashlight (I assume one walks with one in the evening, I even have one on me during the day), gun, perhaps extra clip(s), and now pepper spray? Forget concealed carry, just get a wheelbarrow and wheel all that crap around with you.

I agree with the way he handled it. There may be a lot more explaining to do if someone walked around the corner and saw him shoot a dog in the head, especially if it was a cop. He could probably explain the warning shot easier, as he was trying to peacefully get out of the situation without hurting someone.

As for protecting other people (little kids, etc.) that is someone else's problem IMHO. You should only worry about numero uno (and immediate family of course).

As for me, I was watching "When good pets, go bad" on Spike this past Sat. night and realized that we all carry guns to protect us from people. Many times there are animals that we need to put down. One lady was attacked by two pitbulls in her own home after they broke through her door going after the cat. They almost killed her and police couldn't figure out why she was calling 911. They told her that "they couldn't hear her" because the dogs were too loud and that she should quiet them down! A 9mm would have done that for her!

A neighbor's python ate a dog on the show in front of an elderly lady. She grabbed a camera to film it. I am not that stupid. I would have grabbed my 9mm and made myself some snakeskin boots :)

Anyways, glad you are safe. Be safe everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Manwell View Post
    Iím disappointed that you didnít kill the damn thingÖ What if you walked off and the dog ran off and attacked some little kid or anyone else for the matter? Had I been in your position, that dog would have been dead, right on the spot. I would have killed the dog, re-holstered my weapon and walked away.

Manwell
    +1
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    One lady was attacked by two pitbulls in her own home after they broke through her door going after the cat. They almost killed her and police couldn't figure out why she was calling 911. They told her that "they couldn't hear her" because the dogs were too loud and that she should quiet them down!
    Oh, the irony!

Imagine, trying to tell them that the dogs that they hear barking are the problem you're calling about, and they're telling you to quiet the dogs down so you can tell them your problem! Unbelievable. Sounds like a "Three's Company" episode or something.

I've read all kinds of horror stories about dogs. Yes, it seems that they are mostly about pit bull terriers; there's also that stuff about Presa Canarios, which are like Pit Bulls on steroids. (They're the dogs that killed the gym teacher lady in San Franscisco in her hallway.)

I think that laws that ban specific breeds are misdirected, wrongheaded. If gang members found themselves unable to get or own pit bulls, do we really think they won't then just select another breed to be their guard dogs of choice? Hell, they may go for German Shepherds, or Doberman Pinschers. And if the authorities then reported that those dogs were the top biters and attackers, would we ban them? And then when Shepherds and Dobies were gone, the gangbangers might train Labs. Are we really going to reactively ban every breed of dog that comes to occupy the position of being the most frequent to attack people??

Reactive...yes...Stupid...definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Are we really going to reactively ban every breed of dog that comes to occupy the position of being the most frequent to attack people??

:smilygifs905:

That is always the situation today. Reactive. A couple of idiots use a plane to blow up a building, now you have extra security. When the idiots try to use the shoes to blow up the plane, now you have to remove shoes. Then the idiots use something that looked like shampoo. Better ban shampoo.

I even walked into Home Depot to buy some spray paint. Have to have ID because some idiot is spraypainting something he shouldn't be. I have an idea...WHY DON'T WE JUST BAN IDIOTS!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    However on the flip side a very well trained and CONTROLLED pit or bull mastiff in a situation of life or death is as good or better then most handguns. Just my personal opinion....
    I'll keep my German Shepherd, thanks... They are loyal to their last breath, brave, and don't bite anyone who doesn't truly deserve it, and far as I'm concerned, the smartest of any breed. I guess I might be a little biased. (I do HATE poodles, chihuahuas, and any kind of little poofy breed though.)

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

An interesting side note. I once read the history of the war dog program. The head trainer favored pit bulls but also said german shepards and rotties would be acceptable. Upstairs politics got him the shepards. All dog breeds have stellar individuals all the way down to idiots. I once met a "king" doberman that was trained in tracking and escaped prisoner apprehention that was probably smarter than half the humans I've ever met and was the worlds best baby sitter. He also once ran down the scent trail of a convict over 20 miles and then treed him and held him for 30 minutes while the handler and cops caught up. Just looking in his eyes told you he was one in a million.

Can you tell I like dogs? Just hate idiot owners.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I came across information somewhere (I forgot where) about how thousands of dogs (German Shepherds, I think) were used in combat in WWII in Europe, and were left behind after the war, or was it that they were euthanized? I don't remember except vaguely. But I was shocked that after they had served valiantly, that's how they were treated. (I think I read about it on some memorial somewhere.)

They tried to kill 'em all in Vietnam as well.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Oh, the irony!

Imagine, trying to tell them that the dogs that they hear barking are the problem you're calling about, and they're telling you to quiet the dogs down so you can tell them your problem! Unbelievable. Sounds like a "Three's Company" episode or something.

I've read all kinds of horror stories about dogs. Yes, it seems that they are mostly about pit bull terriers; there's also that stuff about Presa Canarios, which are like Pit Bulls on steroids. (They're the dogs that killed the gym teacher lady in San Franscisco in her hallway.)

I think that laws that ban specific breeds are misdirected, wrongheaded. If gang members found themselves unable to get or own pit bulls, do we really think they won't then just select another breed to be their guard dogs of choice? Hell, they may go for German Shepherds, or Doberman Pinschers. And if the authorities then reported that those dogs were the top biters and attackers, would we ban them? And then when Shepherds and Dobies were gone, the gangbangers might train Labs. Are we really going to reactively ban every breed of dog that comes to occupy the position of being the most frequent to attack people??
    heh - you should see my friends Cane Corso. Similar to a presa but bigger! Hercules stands 27" on all fours and weighs 138 lbs! He's extremely well trained though. Well tempered around children but extremely protective inside the bounds of the home (ie home invasion would end very very badly). He's great outside of that aspect though...typical happy jumpy loving dog that loves to lick everyone to death...but there's that other hand that his natural senses seem to be a good judge of character which makes him an excellent family protector. I'm looking into getting one myself in the future (only dog I've been able to play tackle football with and lose!) Goofy dog seems to like pulling people on the snow sleds even when there's no snow too.

You did the right thing, because it worked and nobody was hurt, including the dog. You can't say for certain what would have happened next, another attck on someone else, etc.. but the important thing for that moment was you stopped what you felt was a dangerous situation and that is exactly the reason for carrying. Good job staying calm, it takes more focus to fire a warning shot than to shoot the dog directly.

Quote Originally Posted by wasabibill View Post
    I live in Southern California, in a desert community. The shot was fired into the dirt shoulder. I used to carry pepper spray and decided that a cell phone, pocket knife, car keys and a small pistol was using up my pockets. I have regretted not shooting the dog and a deputy sherrif told me the biggest hassle would have been disposing of the carcass.

Time for a change in attire to tactical 511 pants. I wear them all the time. Maybe I'll start a trend! work or church with jacket and open collar or tie, or just slummin' it. Holds a pocket Kimber CDP II in the front pocket holster if not able to conceal IWB due to absence of over cover. I haven't jogged with it (Niel Armstrong I believe I am quoting stated he believed he was born with a finite number of heart beats, and he wasn't about to waste any of them jogging!), but I do my fast walk exercise with it on my waist. The answer, man, is more pockets!

I had an experience being bitten by a German Shepherd as a kid. He charged me when I was riding bike near the woods where his handler was taking a walk. Dummy me got off the bike 'cuz doggie was closing faster than I could get my little legs to pedal. What was the problem, I figured he'd stop the chase, but stupidly placed myself on the dog-side of the bike rather than shielding myself with the bike from the dog. He stopped alright ... after the handler pulled him off my bitemarked thigh.

Now, I'd 'av shot the SOB. I am sure I would plead a bone fide fear of my life being imminent danger, notwithstanding anyone else's life with me.

Go with the pants!

First, glad you were ok, but in the future if you pull a pistol no warning shots. Second, a really ticked off pitbull will only get pi---- off when you hit him with .22's. Get some good spray and at least a .38 and be careful.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

OD*
    The head trainer favored pit bulls but also said german shepards and rotties would be acceptable.
    The most decorated war dog in U.S. history was Stubby, a Pit Bull.

Stubby with General Pershing, 1921.

Petey was a Pit Bull

Unfortunately, most people don't know what a Pit Bull is, they only think they do.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
    Last edited by OD*; November 21st, 2006 at 12:57 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

That's true. I myself know that I suffer from confusion among pit bulls, bull terriers, American pit bulls, and a whole bunch of other "bulls." I can never remember what kind of dog Spuds McKenzie was... I think that is in keeping with what you're talking about. There are a lot of similar dogs that seem to ALL get called "pit bulls."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links