Victim Selection FAIL in Loudoun VA - Homeowner shoots juvenile intruder

This is a discussion on Victim Selection FAIL in Loudoun VA - Homeowner shoots juvenile intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I received the initial alert yesterday, but there was nothing indicated other than a fatal shooting in the early morning hours. Nothing to indicate what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Victim Selection FAIL in Loudoun VA - Homeowner shoots juvenile intruder

I received the initial alert yesterday, but there was nothing indicated other than a fatal shooting in the early morning hours. Nothing to indicate what happened at the time. I received this alert this am and with the limited info provided looks to be a VSF. Looks like a dirtbag started his career early and took an early retirement too.

To: "RSAN" <roamalert@alert.loudoun.gov>
    Subject: --UPDATE-- LCSO Investigating Fatal Shooting on Pullman Court
    Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 06:58:18 -0400
    Disclose-Recipients: Prohibited
    Message-ID: <201303180658.r2IAwIH56755@rsan2.alert.loudoun.gov >
    X-Mailer: Roam Secure Alert Network

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    March 18, 2013

Contact: Liz Mills, Director of Media Relations and Communications, 571-251-5568 (mobile)
    Liz.mills@loudoun.gov

--UPDATE-- LCSO Investigating Fatal Shooting on Pullman Court

Loudoun County, VA- The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that a Park View High Student was fatally shot on Pullman Court in Sterling, Virginia, on March 17th.

The fatal shooting investigation stems from a report of an intruder being shot by a homeowner in the 45900 block of Pullman Court in Sterling, Virginia.

The incident occurred shortly after 2:30AM Sunday when a resident reported that there was an unknown male inside their residence. The name of the juvenile is not being released at this time, pending confirmation of his identity by the Medical Examiner’s Office.

###
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    From my under standing it was a drunk kid breaking into the wrong house.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Yep...just got more details:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    March 18, 2013

Contact: Liz Mills, Director of Media Relations and Communications, 571-251-5568 (mobile)
    Liz.mills@loudoun.gov

Teenager Identified in Fatal Shooting on Pullman Court

Loudoun County, VA- The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office has identified a Park View High School student who was fatally shot inside a Sterling, Virginia home as Caleb A. Gordley

Loudoun County Sheriff’s Deputies initially responded to the home in the 45900 block of Pullman Court for a report of a burglary with shots fired by the homeowner. The shooting took place shortly after 2:30AM Sunday when a resident reported that their house alarm was activated. As the homeowner went to investigate, he discovered an unknown male inside their home on the stairwell. The teenager lost his life at the scene.

The 16-year-old lived on the same street as the home where the shooting took place and reportedly had been drinking alcohol with friends that evening. A rear window to the home was found opened and is believed to be the point of entry into the home.

The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting and why the teenager entered the home. The agency is also awaiting a final report from the Medical Examiner’s Office, to include a toxicology report, to determine if drugs or alcohol played a factor.

If you have not already spoken to Detectives with the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office and have information regarding the case, you are asked to call the Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475.

###
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Well the kid should have known: Don't go to stupid places, with stupid people, at stupid times.

Distinguished Member
    IF the facts in the press release are accurate, the shooting was justified IMHO. The kid entered through a window (how often do any of you need to enter your homes through windows at 2am), set off the alarm and apparetly didn't try to leave. Still, the homeowner will have to live with it for the rest of his life; he was justified, but taking a kids life is something that could affect a lot of people for a long time.

I saw this story on a couple of other outlets; the press was interviewing friends of the kid and they were already asking "why did the homeowner have to shoot first" questions. This will be a mess for this guy for a while. And, you know that the anti's will try to use it for additional gun control legislation.
    Jeanlouise and MrsHB like this.

Living in a college town town this is quite common, not the shooting but the instance of an intoxicated individual entering the wrong house (which may have happened in this case)

Drunk is not an excuse, it compounds the crime.

"He broke into the house, but he was drunk." That is wrong, this statement is correct: "He broke into the house, and he was drunk."

At 16 he shouldn't be drinking,I wonder if the Cops are going to be investigating who supplied the alcohol to a minor,since the end result was a fatality they could be in deep crapola.I got pretty drunk many years ago young and dumb etc.I never was so drunk I tried to enter the wrong house,or if my key wouldn't open the door decide to enter thru a window
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    This reminds me of that shooting that happened, I think last year, where the homeowner shot the drunk guy who broke into his house and was hiding inside the enclosed porch area. He had been drinking with friends next door and the home owner had complained to the police about the noise and underage drinking. The perp was apparently hiding from the police when discovered and shot. The homeowner had the Castle Doctrine on his side and, the D.A. who cleared the homeowner said that he didn't even need to take that doctrine into account. This happened not too long after the Trayvon Martin episode. The postings by the commentators were pathetic trying to blame the homeowner for what the idiot did.

The mainstream media will likely latch on to this shooting and will show pics of the perp at 7 years old saying how it wasn't his fault. Hopefully they won't but I would be surprised. The commenters on any stories will likely have a bunch of those who blame the homeowner in this case as well.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    At 16 he shouldn't be drinking,I wonder if the Cops are going to be investigating who supplied the alcohol to a minor,since the end result was a fatality they could be in deep crapola.
    I agree - the person responsible for supplying alcohol to a minor should be charged with the murder of the teen.
    Dandyone likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

The possibility of shooting a teen is one of things to consider while "developing the mindset". Every year, crime in my city significantly and predictably rises when school lets out for summer. The opposite happens when school resumes every fall. It's directly attributable to the number of completely unsupervised teens who have nothing to do except get into trouble. Many of these have no father figure in their lives.

The bad part is, although they are "only" teens, they can be just as vicious and dangerous as adults - perhaps even more so. You can't exactly interview your intruder before making a shoot/no shoot decision. I know I'm not about to risk my life on the small chance that a home invader might actually be an intoxicated teen in disguise.

Still, I would really struggle with the aftermath in a situation that turned out like this one.
    ep1953 and RickyD like this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I just don't see how you can be so drunk that you can go into the wrong house through a window! If you're that drunk wouldn't you be passed out? It takes some thought process to try the door...it's locked, so you find a window to crawl through, all the time not knowing you've got the wrong house!

Terrible thing to have happen and I'm sure the homeowner will have some guilt feelings, even though he was justified in shooting.
    ep1953 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Mad at the homeowner??? What's the homeowner supposed to to, wait until he's physically assaulted and disarmed before accepting the fact that the person who broke into his home is there to do him harm. The ability to suspend reality that some people possess sometimes just amazes me. Drunk, high, whatever. If someone breaks into my home, I'm darn sure not going to perform a field sobriety test before deciding which course of action to take. If they pose any level of threat and don't immediately start complying with whatever commands they are given, they are going to get neutralized as the threat that they are.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

...was the window in question locked and do they have teenaged girls???
    tcox4freedom likes this.

A drunk teenager can do a lot of physical damage to an older man before he can even ascertain that the kid is a threat.
    Plus they can walk right thorough a baseball bat hit and not feel a thing.
    Drunk or not, he had better be apologizing profusley and backing up if I catch one inside my home!
    I'm too old to take a whooping from a drunk. Kid or not!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links