Obama's letter to me

Obama's letter to me

This is a discussion on Obama's letter to me within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dear Andrew: Thank you for taking the time to write. I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and gun violence in our Nation, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Obama's letter to me

Obama's letter to me

Dear Andrew:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and gun violence in our Nation, and I appreciate your perspective. From Aurora to Newtown to the streets of Chicago, we have seen the devastating effects gun violence has on our American family. I join countless others in grieving for all those whose lives have been taken too soon by gun violence.

Like the majority of Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that has been handed down from generation to generation. Hunting and sport shooting are part of our national heritage. Yet, even as we acknowledge that almost all gun owners in America are responsible, when we look at the devastation caused by gun violence—whether in high-profile tragedies or the daily heartbreak that plagues our cities—we must ask ourselves whether we are doing enough.

While reducing gun violence is a complicated challenge, protecting our children from harm should not be a divisive one. Most gun owners agree that we can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale. Most also agree that if we took commonsense steps to curtail gun violence, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown. We will not be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing we can do to reduce gun violence—if even one life can be saved—then we have an obligation to try.

That is why I asked Vice President Joe Biden to identify concrete steps we can take to keep our children safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country. He met with over 200 groups representing a broad cross-section of Americans and heard their best ideas. I have put forward a specific set of proposals based off of his efforts, and in the days ahead, I intend to use whatever weight this office holds to make them a reality.

My plan gives law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals, and the public health community some of the tools they need to help reduce gun violence. These tools include strengthening the background check system, helping schools hire more resource officers and counselors and develop emergency preparedness plans, and ensuring mental health professionals know their options for reporting threats of violence. And I directed the Centers for Disease Control to study the best ways to reduce gun violence—because it is critical that we understand the science behind this public health crisis.

As important as these steps are, they are not a substitute for action from Congress. To make a real and lasting difference, members of Congress must also act. As part of my comprehensive plan, I have called on them to pass some specific proposals right away. First, it is time to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun. Second, Congress should renew the 10-round limit on magazines and reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban. We should get tougher on those who buy guns with the purpose of selling them to criminals, and we should impose serious punishments on anyone who helps them do this.

These are reasonable, commonsense measures that have the support of the majority of the American people. But change will not come unless the American people demand it from their lawmakers. Now is the time to do the right thing for our children, our communities, and the country we love. We owe the victims of heartbreaking national tragedies and the countless unheralded tragedies each year nothing less than our best effort—to seek consensus in order to save lives and ensure a brighter future for our children.

Thank you, again, for writing. I encourage you to visit www.WhiteHouse.gov/NowIsTheTime to learn more about my Administration’s approach.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

In God and Glock we Trust

Form letter...God it sounds like he is reading it from a teleprompter..
    Jeanlouise and thephanatik like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Yup. That's what I was thinking too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since we're all getting these form letter responses, someone needs to write one with some absurd made up name. For inspiration I suggest this "reference":

Worst Human Names In History | Happy Place

I have the same letter except for one thing at bottom " In God and Glock we Trust "

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I have the same letter except for one thing at bottom " In God and Glock we Trust "
    ... My forum signature...

In God and Glock we Trust

VIP Member
    That sounds like Obama. Blah, blah, blah until you pass out from boredom or exhaustion.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Most likely written by a Spin Doctor staffer BS.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

WOW

I wrote to him and he didnt even bother to write back. I guess he REALLY didnt like what I had to say.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I didn't even bother to read it...

Of course it's a form letter written by some staffer. I'm confused as to why you guys are wondering about that.

A ministry song says it all. Lies Lies Lies.

I got the same letter. What a joke. 99% of the voting public could disagree with him and he would still do as he pleases. Deleted.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Why, after reading this, do I have the urge to go to church?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

I didn't bother to read it either, and he doesn't trust in God. He trusts in Allah.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links