California's Gun Repo Men

This is a discussion on California's Gun Repo Men within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; California's Gun Repo Men Have a Nerve-Racking Job - Businessweek If you think your job sucks California is the only state that takes legally obtained ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By rigel42
  • 8 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By BigStick

Thread: California's Gun Repo Men

California's Gun Repo Men Have a Nerve-Racking Job - Businessweek

If you think your job sucks

California is the only state that takes legally obtained weapons away from citizens who are no longer supposed to have them. There are almost 20,000 such gun owners, state records show, including convicted felons, people under domestic violence restraining orders, or those deemed mentally unstable.
    The list of those no longer eligible to keep weapons is compiled by matching files on almost 1 million gun owners with databases of new criminal records and involuntary mental health commitments. About 15 to 20 names are added each day
    IMO I think these people deserve a grace period to sell or give their legally obtained weapons away before they are seized by the state. These weapons were not used in a crime, therefore the state should not have the power to seize them. This is another reason I absolutely oppose gun registrations.

Anyway, its an interesting article for a Friday, enjoy
    ep1953 likes this.

VIP Member
    Repossession means that the item was used as collateral for a debt. If the person has firearms illegally, the person should be going to jail.

This is organized, state-run theft.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    For thinking they are so smart, liberals seem to have a problem with using our language to give accurate descriptions of their actions. "REposession" is just as innacurate as gun "buyBACKS" are in describing what is actually happening. rigel42 is right on the money in that this is the goal of registration, so that they can know who has the guns. That way anytime "they" think you shouldn't have one anymore, for whatever reason, they can go take them. But I am just paranoid I am told. That would never happen...
    blitzburgh and rigel42 like this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post

IMO I think these people deserve a grace period to sell or give their legally obtained weapons away before they are seized by the state. These weapons were not used in a crime, therefore the state should not have the power to seize them. This is another reason I absolutely oppose gun registrations.

It is a fact under federal law convicted felons and those convicted of misdemeanor family violence crimes cannot legally obtain/own a firearm. Therefore, they are criminals but again by the mere possession of the weapon.

or those deemed mentally unstable
    This is the part that gets me. Who decides what is mentally unstable? What criteria do they use? IMO this is why the UBC is so scary...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

According to the article, for each gun seized, there were 5.5 high cap mags seized as well. Those commi-fornians sure are some crazy SOB's.......i own a few guns and i dont have 1 high cap mag (all standard capacity that came with or were bought to match the guns i own), everyone of those people have at least 1 drum mag or extended mag.......ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE ANYWAYS!
    High Cap Mags is one of the new terms that is being thrown around way too loosely that really gets under my skin! I would guess that maybe 1 out of every hundred mags stolen by the state of commie-fornia were EXTENDED mags (and i am thinking i'm being way generous on that figure)
    This is just ridiculous and stupid. Coming in and forcing you to take all weapons to a FFL and selling them on the spot would be pushing it but just flat out stealing is......well......what our government thinks about us these days!

I'll be the devils advocate here. Most fellons, especially VIOLENT fellons dont deserve the right to the 2A. Were talking about a list of 20,000 people in a state with 40,000,000 people. Personally im surprised that more people than 1/10th of 1% of the population arent on the list. I appauald those LE that take the risk of "repossessing" guns from people with a violent nature. Would you cry foul if your sister or mother was murdered by her Ex that had been convicted of spousal abuse and LE did nothing to take away known guns from him?

Of course people intent on doing harm will find away. Still there has to be a rational ballanced approach to guns and criminals. I dont think we need ANYMORE gun laws on the books. LE should just ENFORCE the EXISTING laws on the books.

The metally unstable issue is unsettleing and how that is adressed should be put up in a public forum. I don't want nuts walking around with guns though. Sure they will get them if they want them but lets make it a bit diffucult for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post

...this is another reason I absolutely oppose Kalifornia...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    I'll be the devils advocate here. Most fellons, especially VIOLENT fellons dont deserve the right to the 2A. Were talking about a list of 20,000 people in a state with 40,000,000 people. Personally im surprised that more people than 1/10th of 1% of the population arent on the list. I appauald those LE that take the risk of "repossessing" guns from people with a violent nature. Would you cry foul if your sister or mother was murdered by her Ex that had been convicted of spousal abuse and LE did nothing to take away known guns from him?

Of course people intent on doing harm will find away. Still there has to be a rational ballanced approach to guns and criminals. I dont think we need ANYMORE gun laws on the books. LE should just ENFORCE the EXISTING laws on the books.

The metally unstable issue is unsettleing and how that is adressed should be put up in a public forum. I don't want nuts walking around with guns though. Sure they will get them if they want them but lets make it a bit diffucult for them.
    What if I think you're a nut because of your opinion and put you on that list. Are you still in favor of it?

Okey dokey....we're looking at your bugeyed James Holmes photograph

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...DOX~p1_200.jpg

and we've pretty well figured out you're crazy as a loon.

Should we hold an election to decide whether you're nuts or not?
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    What if I think you're a nut because of your opinion and put you on that list. Are you still in favor of it?
    Lets say your sister is having marital problems, husband got into drugs and alcohol. You buy your sister a gun for protection. Husband still beats her down and she gets a restraining order against him. He is now out of the house but the gun that you bought your sister is gone. The wife beater husband hell bent on revenge has the gun. Would you want LE to do NOTHING about it. How do you feel when your sister is MURDERED with the gun you bought?

I said the mentally unsable issue was something that needed to be addressed. If my wife checks into a mental hospital for depression my guns should not be immediately confiscatated. If a person it that much of a risk to themselves or others they should remained hosptalitzed.

I think they are over reaching in an effort to protect here. I'm just trying to point out the other side of the debate. This is all the more reason to support the 2A and KNOW your rights. If you read the artical you know that the LE cant get a warrant to search your home for guns based on the fact of your recent criminal/mental history.

My opionion on this matters not. Most of my friends call me crazy as I buy a gun every month to go fishing with. Clumsy me, I always tip the boat over and all my guns/ammo end up at the bottom of a lake. I have no guns to be repossessed but LE surely would never get into my home without a warant unless I called them.

...except one of the conditions for parole is unannounced entry and inspections wherever the parolee lives at any time...life is different when you've become a felon...

For me it's the "disqualifying events that aren't enough for a search warrant" that gives me the willies. Change the way the law's written if you need to, but if you can't get a search warrant for someone not legally allowed to own a firearm (according to the article a convicted felon or the subject of a restraining order) IMO that's where the problem truly lies.

I don't believe felons or crazies should have weapons but having to talk your way into the home... I've got a problem with that.

Administrator
    Read this before posting here!!!!
    This is just the copied sticky from above, but apparently people don't read stickies anymore.

In the news encounters with the bad guys with both successful and not so successful

Stop posting any old news story here. This is supposed to be about self defense topics, not a dumping ground for anything you find interesting. This has been made clear in the past, but its getting out of hand again.

threads posted in "in the news: The good, the bad and the ugly"
    we are getting an increasing number of "off topic" threads posted to the "in the news" forum. So much so that it is beginning to become a general crime story repository that is really not the focus of this forum. If you come across news items that have some real application to concealed carry, open carry, successful (or unsuccessful) armed self defense please feel free to post them, but "general crime" stories, not associated with self defense in any way should be avoided. Likewise for stories of crime in countries other than the us.

While i appreciate that our members enjoy the forum and want to post items of personal interest regardless of topic, i believe that we are, over time, broadening the focus of the forum too much in including some of these topics. Please help us keep the forums' topics "on topic".

So, those who cant abide by the rules will be given infractions and will no longer be able to post here. This is the warning.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links