Bad and Ugly: Papa Johns driver dies in Tulsa OK

This is a discussion on Bad and Ugly: Papa Johns driver dies in Tulsa OK within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; North Tulsa is the not so good part of town. In this case a bad guy or guys approached a driver who was waiting outside ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bad and Ugly: Papa Johns driver dies in Tulsa OK

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar

Bad and Ugly: Papa Johns driver dies in Tulsa OK

North Tulsa is the not so good part of town. In this case a bad guy or guys approached a driver who was waiting outside in or by his truck (a semi, not a Papa Johns delivery vehicle in the usual sense) and he ended up shot and killed.

Papa John's Delivery Truck Driver Shot And Killed In Tulsa - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

To me it is quite reprehensible for companies to disallow their drivers to carry WHEN THE BAD GUYS KNOW THIS AND TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

2. Remove Ads

Surely some attorney out there would be willing to take on a case like this and sue the employer for creating an unsafe working environment by disallowing employees the opportunity to defend themselves.
    niks and darbo like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I may have missed it but I didn't see where they didn't allow employees the opportunity to defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I may have missed it but I didn't see where they didn't allow employees the opportunity to defend themselves.
    The story also said that the man was contracted to drive for Papa John's, so I'm assuming that he wasn't a Papa John's employee. He could have been self employed.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Surely some attorney out there would be willing to take on a case like this and sue the employer for creating an unsafe working environment by disallowing employees the opportunity to defend themselves.
    I think the main problem you run into here are the relatively deep pockets of the corporations behind these companies and their ability to hire great legal teams.

A better approach is to arm young people and teach them that their life is more important than following some company rule, especially when said company clearly couldn't care less about their employee's life (or at least, values their money more).
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Scary. Delivery drivers are always a target, and bad guys know the ones in corporate branded semis can't carry and often collect cash payment from customers. Makes a easy target with a high payout for them.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    If I see an example where a major pizza chain is OK with its employees carrying, I would immediately go out a buy a lottery ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    The story also said that the man was contracted to drive for Papa John's, so I'm assuming that he wasn't a Papa John's employee. He could have been self employed.
    I didn't notice that point, good catch.
    Guess I was too fixated on the anti-gun stance of the pizza companies. I get really mad when young folks get killed and it always appears that the companies seem on the side of the bad guys.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's not just pizza companies. The majority do not allow employees to carry at work. Knowing that going in, why take a job known to be hazardous?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's not just pizza companies. The majority do not allow employees to carry at work. Knowing that going in, why take a job known to be hazardous?
    Yes, indeed, the anti-gun problem is systemic. Just seems like pizza delivery guys are in the news quite a lot.
    As for why take a job known to be hazardous, come on, Old Vet, seems like you did it. I think we are all stronger for those of us who aren't afraid to take on the hazardous jobs; who do what needs doing.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Being Air Force, we enlisted were smart enough to send the officers into harm's way and we lounged around the pool sucking down brews while waiting for them to return.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Professional drivers, also known as folks with a CDL are not permitted to carry a firearm. I think it has to do with interstate commerce. Just another hazard of trucking for a living.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Professional drivers, also known as folks with a CDL are not permitted to carry a firearm. I think it has to do with interstate commerce. Just another hazard of trucking for a living.
    Actually is not against the law because you have a CDL, and the 10 or so professional drivers I know, do carry.......

Can Commercial Truck Drivers Carry?
    oneshot likes this.

I feel bad for the driver and his family.
    Too bad a couple of pizza driver stings can't be set up to nab a couple of scum killers and put them down as an example to other would be robbers. Of course then some cruddy defense attorney will claim entrapment. Too bad!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post

To me it is quite reprehensible for companies to disallow their drivers to carry WHEN THE BAD GUYS KNOW THIS AND TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE.

The companies would rather fork over a mere pittance to your relatives than hand out millions in liability to potential customers and bystanders hit by you defending yourself and the possible negativity toward the company "Brand" in regards to firearms, despite the fact that this is not the norm
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links