Comcast bans all guns and ammo ads

This is a discussion on Comcast bans all guns and ammo ads within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This decision comes after Comcast has been running ads for some gun and hunting groups for decades. Comcast chose this new position after purchasing NBCUniversal, ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 5 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By Exacto

Thread: Comcast bans all guns and ammo ads

This decision comes after Comcast has been running ads for some gun and hunting groups for decades. Comcast chose this new position after purchasing NBCUniversal, which has a long-standing ban against firearm, ammunition and firework advertisements.

This move brings Comcast in line with its competitors, Time Warner Cable and Cox Communications.

Comcast-Cable-Bans-All-Firearm-Ammunition-Advertisers
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Adverts with images of guns "pointing at people." Hm.

If they were true believers, they'd be "banning" the third of their programming that contains images of guns pointing at people.

Instead, or so it sounds from the description, they're singling out the self-defense type ads in which citizens are pointing their SD gun at criminals in SD situations. If true, seems they're putting broadcast revenues above communicating messages of saving lives.

Anyone read this differently?

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    "ads showing semi-automatic weapons and guns pointed at people."
    Guns. And "semi-auto weapons" as well. I wonder what those could be, if not guns. One-flick-one-blade knives, perhaps? Hm.
    troutkiller likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

If they were true believers, they'd be "banning" the third of their programming that contains images of guns pointing at people.

Exactly. Kiss the politically-correct butts but don't interrupt the revenue stream. Hypocrisy of the highest order.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

saa
    [QUOTE=ccw9mm;2671627]If true, seems they're putting broadcast revenues above communicating messages of saving lives.[QUOTE]

Broadcasting is a business model of revenue generation.

It's not about communicating messages, nor about saving lives.

It's not a public service entity - it's a business.

Just to be clear. You're inference that they should act in a public service capacity is wishful thinking, at best.

I agree with you, however, we're both going to be disapppinted!! :)
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If true, seems they're putting broadcast revenues above communicating messages of saving lives.
    Broadcasting is a business model of revenue generation.

It's not about communicating messages, nor about saving lives.

It's not a public service entity - it's a business.

Just to be clear. You're inference that they should act in a public service capacity is wishful thinking, at best.
    It's a business, which means its primary goal is to continue in perpetuity, ideally to make a profit for the stakeholders, by doing enough work of high enough quality and interesting nature that customers will buy the product. Lacking that, or in cases where hypocrisy overcomes the quality to make it distasteful to a large enough percentage, those profits will be at risk of dipping/diving over time and upsetting the whole apple cart.

That's the point: They are making such a change that affects public service (ironically, ostensibly helping to "save" people's lives from deadly so-called "gun" violence). Yet, that's only the mask; the real underlying motive is the money, as you point out (and which I also noted).

Just thought the "public service" of noting the hypocrisy was worthwhile. That was my true motivation. Comcast, though? They're just being typical, when the heat is on and the revenue's thumbscrews are tightened.

Disappointed? Not really. Saddened, and somewhat angered, that this box of wires and tubes has turned into just what E.R. Murrow warned us it would become, instead of a tool to inspire, educate and inform. Ed was right. Oh, so right. Screw the public and their needs; it's all about the M.O.N.E.Y., the more the merrier, the sooner the better. Another casualty of not being raised right.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    That's funny coming from an industry that makes it's living off of guns and violence. I wish there were a stronger word than hypocrites.
    NONAME762 and TVJ like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    That's funny coming from an industry that makes it's living off of guns and violence. I wish there were a stronger word than hypocrites.
    There is...in fact there are several. But since it has been pointed out this is a family friendly site we can't say those words here.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

That's fine by me. I ban Comcast of their solicitation for my account. They have nothing over Directv anyway. Time for another tweet.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

First step don't buy comcast. Second step, contact the companies that advertise with comcast in mass and tell them we will not buy their products. For instance, if Chevy supports comcast's agenda by running addson comcast stations and Ford does not, bam, just like that I am a Ford man.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Administrator
    Read this before posting here!!!!
    This is just the copied sticky from above, but apparently people don't read stickies anymore.

In the news encounters with the bad guys with both successful and not so successful

Stop posting any old news story here. This is supposed to be about self defense topics, not a dumping ground for anything you find interesting. This has been made clear in the past, but its getting out of hand again.

threads posted in "in the news: The good, the bad and the ugly"
    we are getting an increasing number of "off topic" threads posted to the "in the news" forum. So much so that it is beginning to become a general crime story repository that is really not the focus of this forum. If you come across news items that have some real application to concealed carry, open carry, successful (or unsuccessful) armed self defense please feel free to post them, but "general crime" stories, not associated with self defense in any way should be avoided. Likewise for stories of crime in countries other than the us.

While i appreciate that our members enjoy the forum and want to post items of personal interest regardless of topic, i believe that we are, over time, broadening the focus of the forum too much in including some of these topics. Please help us keep the forums' topics "on topic".

So, those who cant abide by the rules will be given infractions and will no longer be able to post here. This is the warning.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links