Old news but good news

Old news but good news

This is a discussion on Old news but good news within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This came up on my facebook page. It's a story from December and may have been posted before but it's so good. From ABC 13 ...

Like Tree32Likes
  • 10 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 5 Post By Snub44
  • 3 Post By commonground
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By zonker1986
  • 3 Post By Curt58
  • 2 Post By mkh
  • 2 Post By ksholder

Thread: Old news but good news

VIP Member

Old news but good news

This came up on my facebook page. It's a story from December and may have been posted before but it's so good.

From ABC 13 News...WSET Official page:

Gun Control Texas Style!

Last Thursday night around midnight, a woman from Houston , Texas was ...arrested, jailed, and charged with manslaughter for shooting a man 6 times in the back as he was running away with her purse.

The following Monday morning, the woman was called in front of the Arraignment Judge, sworn-in, and asked to explain her actions.

The woman replied, "I was standing at the corner bus stop for about 15 minutes, waiting for the bus to take me home after work. I am a waitress at a local cafe. I was there alone, so I had my right hand on my pistol in my purse hanging on my left shoulder. All of a sudden I was spun around hard to my left. As I caught my balance, I saw a man running away with my purse. I looked down at my right hand and saw that my fingers were wrapped tightly around my pistol. The next thing I remember is saying out loud, "No Way Punk! You're not stealing my pay check and tips." I raised my right hand, pointed my pistol at the man running away from me with my purse, and started squeezing the trigger of my pistol.

When asked by the arraignment judge, "Why did you shoot the man 6 times? The woman replied under oath, "Because, when I pulled the trigger the 7th time, it only went click."

The woman was acquitted of all charges. She was back at work the next day! That's Gun Control, Texas Style.
    Snub44, ep1953, RichB70 and 7 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

...what the article didn't mention is that for a week, she got no tips...all the customers left little piles of ammo by the plates...

You can't help but like a story like that. That ended one career of crime. :-)
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Distinguished Member
    cute story, but I don't think it really happened.

...aw, c'mon, now, of course it did...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    You're right, I just checked Snopes...it's an urban legend. But what a great urban Legend!
    Str8upguy likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

...and entirely likely in Texas...
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    See! Didn't need that seventh shot. Bloomie is right.
    Jeanlouise and Naufragia like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I was walking into the Texas City, Texas Walmart in 1994. Coming towards me was a little old lady about 75-80 years old.
    She tripped on the yellow parking stripe, and her purse went flying....along with her stainless steel Taurus model 85 .38 Special.
    I helped her retrieve her stuff and handed her the Taurus butt first (it was loaded). I smiled and just said, "You might need this".
    She just smiled, and said in her best South Texas accent, "Why, thank you, young man". (Pronounced....wah thi-ank uuuuuu, ying ma-un)

....this was before Texas had a concealed carry law. You guys think the OP's story is fiction? Hah!!
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My Aunt use to carry a Colt 45. She was a little bitty woman too! Many times we'd climb in her 63 Chevy Pickup to go to town and she'd have to slide her pistol out from between the seats and put it in the glove box. She always said something cleaver about it. Like, " Hope them Coyotes don't come around while we're gone"!

She lived in a little town in Wise County called Chico, TX.

I live in Rhome, TX now, and I keep my S&W 45 inbetween the seats of my pickup.
    Just like my Aunt Doris June FLowers!

Texas Women, yea, they are just like that lady in the Urban Legend!
    And Texas Men have no problem with our masculinity when our women can out shoot us.
    My wife can! She's a natural.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Its all true I read it on the internet. Excuse me while I hook up with my pole dancing date I met on the internet. LOL.

...Poles can dance???

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    Who cares. Don't let facts stand in the way of s good gun story.
    ep1953 and Snub44 like this.

VIP Member
    Little old ladies can surprise you. My grandmother owned and ran a clothing store in a small town near Seattle. This was years ago, she's been dead for 28 years. She had a little snubby, it was a 32, that she carried in her bra. I remember seeing that gun laying out at her apartment one time. It was little and kind of rusty. It was not a very good looking gun and I was curious so I asked her about it. I was in my mid 20s at the time, and I had never seen it at her apartment before. By this time she was in her 80s.

She told me that since I was older she wasn't worried about me mishandling the gun so she left it where she normally put it when she was home alone. When I was younger she always put it away someplace where I wouldn't find it. She told me she had been carrying that little gun in her bra for years. Given the looks of the gun, I have no doubt that was true.

Her husband, my grandfather, had died fairly young but he was a game warden. So he was well-known in the LEO community and so was she. She started the store after her husband died. In the early years of the store - sometime in the 1930s - her store had been robbed and she had been basically defenseless. After the cops sorted things out they asked her why she wasn't able to protect herself.

Well concealed carry wasn't exactly legal in Washington back then but given that the cops knew her and she lived in a small town (now part of the urban sprawl) they basically gave her cart blanche to go ahead and carry something for her own protection. So she had this little gun that she carried in her bra for years. I don't know that she ever had to use it but it sure showed the years and years of "holster" wear.

She said it was comforting to have the gun while she was carrying large amounts of cash to the bank every night after the business closed. Knowing my grandmother I have no doubt she would have used it if she needed to, and I suspect the criminals in the area might have known that too. Things were different back then, but little old ladies can still surprise you.
    Jeanlouise and Snub44 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sponsored Links