VIDEO: Some good, mostly bad, all stupid. Road rage - fist fight - shooting, NC

This is a discussion on VIDEO: Some good, mostly bad, all stupid. Road rage - fist fight - shooting, NC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NEWPORT, N.C.: Video shows man pull gun in NC road rage fight | Local/State | NewsObserver.com NEWPORT, N.C. Carteret County deputies re looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: VIDEO: Some good, mostly bad, all stupid. Road rage - fist fight - shooting, NC

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

VIDEO: Some good, mostly bad, all stupid. Road rage - fist fight - shooting, NC

NEWPORT, N.C.: Video shows man pull gun in NC road rage fight | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

NEWPORT, N.C. Carteret County deputies re looking for a man who fired several shots into a pickup truck after he was beaten in a road rage incident.

Investigators released video of the fight that happened around 1 p.m. Sunday just off U.S. 70 in Newport.

The video shows a man getting out of an SUV and asking the driver of a pickup truck why he ran him off the road. The pickup driver and his passenger began beating up the SUV driver, throwing him to the ground.

A woman then calmly walks out of the SUV and gives the man a pistol. He points it at the men who beat them up, who hurry into the pickup and drive away as the man fires several shots.

Deputies say no one was hurt.
    Compare and contrast that news report to the actual video:

So, the guy obviously should have NOT gotten into that situation, should NOT have thrown the first punch. It looked to me that the far kid saw the lady with thegun and broke off. So I'd say she did good with a show of force to save her man from a worse beating. Dude started to do a very bad thing but got himself under control. I do NOT think he got back out of his car to shoot at the truck. There's a loud noise but it's not a gun firing, I think it is the truck door closing.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes our butts cant cover the check we wrote with our mouths..Guy in the SUV should have let it go.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

at least no one was hurt. if one of the 2 guys shot the person who threw the first punch instead of coming out of car to fight him could they claim self defense and would have been justified or would it go to grand jury to decide?

Was run off the road, myself, by a 'rager, damaging my car. Never occurred to me to fight, shoot or do anything other than what I did: got his license/description, called the police and pressed charges for damage, fleeing the scene. He got a bye on the whole thing, despite initially lying to police about his presence at the scene or involvement in any way. I'm sure he's done similarly elsewhere, given apparently little risk to such actions.

We generally reap what we sow, despite the occasional few getting lucky.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    He shouldn't have started the fight. Obviously no one here was thinking clearly. He would be on more solid legal ground if the woman had retained the gun and ordered them to back off as she wasn't involved in starting the fight!

Yes, the loud noise is the sound of the door closing-notice the video "jump" as it happens. It's not certain from the video but I don't think he actually fired the gun.

He never fired,but you can see him chambering a round,IMHO he committed an Assault and Battery,best thing to do is get a plate number and description of driver and let LEO handle it.In some States since he started the fight then pulled a gun had somebody in the truck shot him they would have been justified.
    gejoslin likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    He never fired,but you can see him chambering a round,IMHO he committed an Assault and Battery,best thing to do is get a plate number and description of driver and let LEO handle it.In some States since he started the fight then pulled a gun had somebody in the truck shot him they would have been justified.
    And if he indeed start it, her assisting to what she clearly saw as something he started should, IMO, constitute being an accessory to that felony. Though, perhaps the two-on-one attack might have worked in their favor ... right up until the gun was introduced.

Bad juju, if you know what's what and still get involved.

Agreed: a good opportunity for hunkering down, calling the non-emerg police line, then dealing with any unjustified/unprovoked assault if it does arise. Anything less is murky water, at best, if not downright criminal.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Who was making the video?

I think we have a responsibility when carrying firearms to try and avoid confrontation at all costs- no matter how bad someone deserves to get their butt kicked. This is a good example of how quickly things can get out of control. I'm glad for everyone involved that it didn't end up worse...

Edit:

After watching the video again, I have to assume that the man had followed the car that had cut him off until the car stopped (appears to be in a drive-way), approached the driver side rapidly while yelling profanity, and then proceeded to assault the driver. Had I been the one who cut this driver off (hey, it happens- Not intentionally, of course) I may have felt the need draw my weapon immediately to end the threat and protect my family. Just some food for thought. How do you think you would handle the situation?
    ccw9mm, Ghost1958, niks and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Mr. Pepper Spray would have handled it just fine.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Updated news item with incorrect info:

Couple charged in 'road rage' incident - Crime - The Daily News, Jacksonville

The video clip ends with one shot being fired into the ground and Turner getting back in the vehicle.
    poptheshark likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    The Carteret County Sheriff’s Office issued warrants Monday afternoon charging Bradley Turner, 40, and Christy Turner, 30, of La Grange in the altercation that occurred Sunday afternoon in the Newport area.
    Just a few miles from me, glad I have never run into them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    first degree assault with a deadly weapon. This punk deserves prison time.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I don't even have to the time this late to go through all of the ways this could have went way worse for all parties involved.

First the old guy clearly starts it and gets his ass kicked. Then, him and his old lady start breaking out firearms for a non life threatening situation that they caused... This in turn could have, if any of the other people had been armed, caused them to feel their lives were threatened and he could've have been killed or a full blown shootout ensued.

When you carry a gun these are the things you MUST let go. Road raging spirals out of control very fast. I've been guilty of some road rage in my younger years but now that i carry i just let it roll off of my back and go on about my business.

It's amazing how much more cordial you become in all situations when you start carrying. At least for most of us... Although, I don't think this guy got the memo. He'll probably see the light a little more clearly after some big fines and possible jail time.
    Truckinbutch and Buckeye00 like this.

VIP Member

Update

La Grange couple charged in Carteret road rage incident

La Grange, N.C. A man and woman from La Grange were charged Monday afternoon in connection with a violent road rage incident that happened Sunday afternoon off U.S. Highway 70 in Carteret County.

According to investigators, Bradley Russell Turner fired several shots into a pickup truck after he was beaten by two men about 1 p.m. Video released by investigators showed Russell asking the driver of a pickup truck why he ran him off the road before the pickup truck driver and his passenger threw him to the ground.
    La Grange couple charged in Carteret road rage incident :: WRAL.com

Methinks there was a severe lapse in judgment.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links