Man uses CHL pistol to shoot dog at dog park.

This is a discussion on Man uses CHL pistol to shoot dog at dog park. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man in court for allegedly shooting dog at Mount Airy?s Doris Day Dog Park I'll be following this story. Per Ohio's self defense laws, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Man uses CHL pistol to shoot dog at dog park.

Man uses CHL pistol to shoot dog at dog park.

Man in court for allegedly shooting dog at Mount Airy?s Doris Day Dog Park

I'll be following this story. Per Ohio's self defense laws, I don't think it looks good for the shooter, as the clear conditions which must be met to use a defensive weapon were not met.

Short version, another dog was going after his dog at a dog park, so he shot the dog.

I go to a dog park several times a week, and even when another dog has gone after my pooch, never once have I thought drawing and firing would improve the situation. It is, IMHO, an inappropriate tool for the job of breaking up a dog fight.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Marx was carrying a concealed weapons permit at the time of the shooting. He is charged with criminal damaging and discharging a firearm in a public place.
    Little info but I think he is going to be in a big heap of trouble and I doubt he will be carrying any time soon.
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have never seen a dog fight that couldn’t be stopped by grabbing the back of each dogs neck and pulling them apart.
    mano3 and mr.stuart like this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Not trying to be a wise guy at all...

But what the hell is a Dog Park??? Is that like a amusement park for animals or something?

I live in the south/country, I just play with my dog,feed and pet it throw the ball etc.
    SUPERCHEFNICK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    I have never seen a dog fight that couldn’t be stopped by grabbing the back of each dogs neck and pulling them apart.
    Wow... I sure have. Not a pretty sight.
    Bark'n, OD* and wishyouwell like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    I've seen a couple dog fights where if someone stepped in to stop it, they'd likely end up with a bloody stump where their hand used to be.
    pgrass101, Ghost1958, OD* and 1 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch64 View Post
    Not trying to be a wise guy at all...

But what the hell is a Dog Park??? Is that like a amusement park for animals or something?

Usually a large fenced in section designated for dogs to be off leash and free to run and play with other dogs. Usually used by city-folk to excersise thier dog

Last time a larger dog aggresivly went after my 13 pound poodle. I grabbed the offending dog by the neck and rump lifted up to almost over my head, and body slammed the animal. Then told the aghast owner (Female) that if she has an aggressive dog like that to either keep it on a leash, use a muzzle, or stay at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Usually a large fenced in section designated for dogs to be off leash and free to run and play with other dogs. Usually used by city-folk to excersise thier dog
    Pawn Springs Dog Park at Sugar Land Memorial Park

He shoots a dog...inside a 'dog park'...sheesh, what an idiot. He brought his dog TO THE PARK. The other dog's owner was right there, and he still choses to shoot?
    He's going to pay a price for that stunt.IMHO...he deserves whatever he gets. I wasn't there, but don't shoot my dog in front of me AT the dog park. Dogs will bark for Alpha status, if both owners are present, I'm positive that dog 'arguments' can be negotiated without the use of firearms.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, according to the other owner, he "tased" the dog before he shot it, which brings up several things.

One, he didn't go directly to shooting to stop the fight.

Two, the Taser clearly didn't work, and he moved on to the next step (same thing cops do)

Three, the fight was clearly going on for a while if he went from Taser to gun. We don't know how long it lasted or what else they tried.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Sigh....
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    At least the idiot did not shoot a person at the park. So far,I never had a problem breaking up a dog fight. Years ago,a German Shepherd jumped over the fence into our back yard. One of our dogs caught him pooping and it was on. I picked up the swimming pool vacuum pole and pried them apart. Grabbed the shepherd and tossed him out the gate. Never thought about a gun. I did have to replace the pole,$75
    RETSUPT99 and latentcarry like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Worst person ever

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Well, according to the other owner, he "tased" the dog before he shot it, which brings up several things.

One, he didn't go directly to shooting to stop the fight.

Two, the Taser clearly didn't work, and he moved on to the next step (same thing cops do)

Three, the fight was clearly going on for a while if he went from Taser to gun. We don't know how long it lasted or what else they tried.
    I go to Doris day dog park on occasion and I've seen this grumpy crazy old mans dog attack alot of other dogs.
    I've seen him punch closed fist other people's dogs too as they try to defend themselves.
    I don't think you would be defending him if you knew him, he is pure hate.
    He probably planned something like this out in his delusional pea brain.
    I'm glad I will never have to see him there again at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    At least the idiot did not shoot a person at the park. So far,I never had a problem breaking up a dog fight. Years ago,a German Shepherd jumped over the fence into our back yard. One of our dogs caught him pooping and it was on. I picked up the swimming pool vacuum pole and pried them apart. Grabbed the shepherd and tossed him out the gate. Never thought about a gun. I did have to replace the pole,$75
    After reading a bit more of this: not sure either way, no one wants to see a dog shot or for that matter a permitted carrier use a weapon but there may be a bit more to this would love to hear more about this when guy goes to court this afternoon. If a "local" could let us know would be appreciated.

I used a gun once to stop a dog fight, Heard a big mess going on in back of property and not knowing what was going on, carried a 12 mossberg with me just in case. Turned out to be a similar situation with one of my Jack Russel types using the "I'll get in the big dogs mouth and choke him to death strategy". Used the butt to get his attention and make him drop my dog, He really just wanted to get away from me so I let it go at that (bullys are like that). Had to replace butt stock but got a nice pistol grip one so all ended well.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links