Bad : Man Who Murdered WV Sheriff Was Not Allowed a Firearm

This is a discussion on Bad : Man Who Murdered WV Sheriff Was Not Allowed a Firearm within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Apparently the background check failed to keep this mentally ill man from purchasing a handgun used to kill the Mingo Co WV Sheriff. This is ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By sigs
  • 4 Post By BadgerJ
  • 1 Post By Gene83
  • 1 Post By Black Knight
  • 3 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Freedom Doc
  • 1 Post By accessbob
  • 1 Post By Lenonthelake
  • 2 Post By smolck
  • 2 Post By Gene83

Thread: Bad : Man Who Murdered WV Sheriff Was Not Allowed a Firearm

Apparently the background check failed to keep this mentally ill man from purchasing a handgun used to kill the Mingo Co WV Sheriff.

This is really going to be used by the Anti's and those who want stricter legislation concerning background checks. I really have a bad feeling about it.

Still shocking the Sheriff was murdered, but done this way really is worse.

NEW INFO: Sheriff Murder Suspect Bought Gun Despite Background Check - WSAZ.com - Severe Weather and Breaking News Coverage in West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

It would seem to aid the argument that most support for better controls on and better reporting of those who are dangerously mentally ill.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    The point is, it doesn't matter if there are THOUSANDS of dangerous, psychotic, nutty, violent people out there who might get a gun, legally or illegally, infringing on my rights, on the rights of the LAC to carry a firearm to protect themselves is wrong and should not be part of the issue. The gubmint kills millions of people, innocent kids, families, has state-sponsored assassination, goes to war for no reason, for lies and kills and KILLS AND KILLS AGAIN. We are not the problem. If having a firearm saves the life of one innocent, then it's worth keeping that right alive and the ability to defend yourself operating freely. Nobody is going to come and guard you, protect you and save you from the BILLIONS of bad people and predators out there.

One of the problems that you have, or so I'm told, is that many states do not report people to the national database in a timely manner. If people aren't in the database because individual states failed to report them, then the system breaks down.

For example, the state of Utah decided to join the program this year. That's just one example, not picking on the fine folks from Utah.

Utah begins sharing records on mentally ill with national gun database | The Salt Lake Tribune
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I don't believe the goal is to control access to firearms. I believe the ultimate goal is total firearm confiscation. They will say something like "the laws we have created since all these things happened hasn't stopped it so the only thing left is to confiscate them". Then things like the Texas college stabbing will increase and they will start all over again with "knife control".

On a poster I saw on Facebook: Spock to Captain Kirk. "If the pro-gunners were as violent as the anti-gunners claimed, logic would dictate that there would be no anti-gunners left".
    JoJoGunn likes this.

I think it more tends to prove that the background checks are as worthless as the rest of the gun regs and laws.

If I may take this a step forward. Our BG goes and lets say for once a background check says nope you cant have one.
    Now I doubt he put on his app or told the dealer " I want this gun to shoot a LEO with""".

So our now really hacked off BG does what most BGs do in the first place. He goes to the local thug who deals in guns and gets one there and does the exact same thing he did anyway.

Now nobody on WSAZ is going to say that. But its a fact. The mental health background la de dah we can make it work somehow no matter how many thousand times a day its proven it cant be made work song is really getting to the point of insanity on the supposedly sane folks part.
    JoJoGunn, Tzadik and Freedom Doc like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I think it more tends to prove that the background checks are as worthless as the rest of the gun regs and laws.

If I may take this a step forward. Our BG goes and lets say for once a background check says nope you cant have one.
    Now I doubt he put on his app or told the dealer " I want this gun to shoot a LEO with""".

So our now really hacked off BG does what most BGs do in the first place. He goes to the local thug who deals in guns and gets one there and does the exact same thing he did anyway.

Now nobody on WSAZ is going to say that. But its a fact. The mental health background la de dah we can make it work somehow no matter how many thousand times a day its proven it cant be made work song is really getting to the point of insanity on the supposedly sane folks part.
    +1,000 and this point, which is so true, is just simply ignored by the antis. Hopefully we can educate others not to listen to anti-drivel and instead listen to facts and logic. The vast majority of folks have never been in a situation where a gang of hoods is beating down your door, intent on slaying everyone there. The anti's would have you call 911. Do they REALLY have your best interests at heart?
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member
    You can't catch 100% of people who might do something beforehand. It just is not feasible unless we give up all freedom and, even then, the people charged with protecting us can go off the deep end and start killing for no reason, or for a reason perceived by them to be valid. It is a fact that we can not have Utopia. It will never happen (until God sets it up). But we have to live by a BALANCE of risk and freedom. It isn't possible to do what the anti's want. They want to solve a problem which, in reality, is not solvable. It just isn't. We have to do the best we can but in the end it all has to do with many factors which we can't control.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I dont think Oklahoma has any crazy people on the list, just goes to show you how sane, Oklahoma is, (wink, wink)
    JoJoGunn likes this.

The problem with keeping the "mentally ill" from having guns with legislation is this, who decides what qualifies as "mentally ill"? Before you know it, a LOT of things will put you in that category. Ever take Paxil or Zoloft? Oh you are nuts and no gun for you. Ever take xanax? You are also nuts and no gun for you. Ever take medication for ADD? Oh you are nuts too and no gun for you. See how it gets onto a slippery slope.

This is why we must CAREFULLY consider ALL angles of the proposed bills. You have to think like a weasel and scum in order to understand the left's real agenda.
    msgt/ret and Ghost1958 like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post

You're right. Somebody who is hell-bent on doing something is going to do it regardless of the obstacles in front of them. The alleged college slasher in Texas confessed that he had been planning this thing for years. Naturally the first thing the authorities did was schedule him for a psychological evaluation.

I'll save them the trouble. He's a loner, not by choice, simply because nobody else would have anything to do with him. Others thought he was a little "odd" and avoided him. He felt a compelling need to do something that would make people pay attention to him. Now, he has the attention that he craved.
    Ghost1958 and JoJoGunn like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

This is a situation that nobody could have foreseen, unfortunately for the Sheriff, he never saw this coming either. I pray for those who mourn this good man.

Yet this killer's family knew he had problems and took little action to see he did not acquire a gun. Some of the blame should be on them too, not just the way the killer got his gun.

Our Anti's believe firmly that "mandatory or universal" background checks would have prevented this tragedy. Actually there is no perfect solution except for registration and confiscation of all firearms in the hands of Americans. That is the ultimate goal here I believe. The fact that the Mingo Co WV Sheriff was murdered by a lunatic who was able to purchase a handgun and "passed" the background check says that even though we have a system, it isn't perfect and some folks slip through. That's just how it is and one more law or background check will not stop all of them.

With that in mind, this adds more "ammunition" to the goal of total disarmament of Americans by the forces who want to take not only our gun rights away but all of our rights and freedoms.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links