all 50 states overnight

This is a discussion on all 50 states overnight within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just read in the NY Daily news that under the compomise "It would allow owners licensed to carry weapons in any state to bring ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: all 50 states overnight

all 50 states overnight

I just read in the NY Daily news that under the compomise "It would allow owners licensed to carry weapons in any state to bring their guns alongto all 50 states including those like NY with consealed-weapons ban--as long as they're in town just one night.

So am I correct if passed I would be able to spend the day in Nj with firearm as long as I am there for one night? If so I understand I would not be able to carry hollow point due to local laws.

What about DC? Not a state but Federal Enclave ?

This would be a step in the right direction for people just passing thru. Far from perfect.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1313422
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have to appreciate the placement of Kleenex in the first photo. A nicely staged photo. Perhaps they should include photos of storekeepers who have been shot.
    I have thought that I might want to visit NY for one day, just for the historical sites. DC would be a problem, as i would like to spend a few days in the museums, but if i lodge across stae lines it would be OK>
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

While it's a step in the right direction, I don't like the "nothing to see here, move along" attitude. It sounds like they are saying don't stop and spend money, enjoy the sights, etc in our state. I have a brother in MD, and like Aborigine I would like to visit DC and see the sights, but doubt I could do it all in 24 hrs. Staying in VA might help if they honor my permit or maybe I can just hop across state lines and begin my 24 hrs anew....hmmm.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

How freaky would it be to stroll thru Chi-town? Probably be a police policy to frisk any out of staters.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I just read in the NY Daily news that under the compomise "It would allow owners licensed to carry weapons in any state to bring their guns alongto all 50 states including those like NY with consealed-weapons ban--as long as they're in town just one night.

So am I correct if passed I would be able to spend the day in Nj with firearm as long as I am there for one night? If so I understand I would not be able to carry hollow point due to local laws.

What about DC? Not a state but Federal Enclave ?

This would be a step in the right direction for people just passing thru. Far from perfect.

Senate reaches deal on weak watered-down gun-control bill without ban on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines - NY Daily News
    The one night thing is a baby step in the right direction, and hopefully would get expanded to true
    reciprocity in any future House Senate conference.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I wonder if it means we would be able to carry or just like keep in the car or hotel?
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I wonder if it means we would be able to carry or just like keep in the car or hotel?
    The question I have on this is what if you are just there for a day trip like going to the mall or a baseball game or something like that? Will it be legal to carry in another state if you are not spending the night?

VIP Member
    I like the concept, as it's a step in the right direction. We ultimately need full reciprocity for any CHP in any state. Every state recognizes all other states' driver's licenses, and driving is a privilege, not a right. What if you leave the state and return the next day? Still of lot of questions to be answered.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    So, if you live in a state that doesn't have reciprocity with Texas and you try to drive across it in one day, you are not likely to make it. It is 856 miles from Orange, TX to El Paso, TX. I used to be a truck driver and we had an expression: "The sun has riz, the sun has set, and I am still in Texas yet."
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Maybe I am missing something here but if allowed to spend one day how would they know what day I arrived?
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Who would enforce this crappola?

Maybe this is just a "concealed carry loophole" designed to thumb the noses of no carry states.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    How freaky would it be to stroll thru Chi-town? Probably be a police policy to frisk any out of staters.
    Don't wear an out-of-state tag on your butt.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    It just puts power in the hands of the police. Or the sheriff.

"Got a gun?"
    "Yes."
    "Get outta' town!"
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    Maybe I am missing something here but if allowed to spend one day how would they know what day I arrived?

Dont know
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    So, if you live in a state that doesn't have reciprocity with Texas and you try to drive across it in one day, you are not likely to make it. It is 856 miles from Orange, TX to El Paso, TX. I used to be a truck driver and we had an expression: "The sun has riz, the sun has set, and I am still in Texas yet."
    the way I am reading it one license would be good in all state provided that you did not remain in the state past sundown the second day. Who know how the back door deals are done. Dont trust any of them except Rand. Wonder what laws he would sign as president

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links