Virginia: Gun buster signs at work

This is a discussion on Virginia: Gun buster signs at work within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://tinyurl.com/c34l8vw Two women injured in shooting at New River Valley Mall in Christiansburg The suspect is in custody. [ video ] WDBJ7 Web Staff 3:55 ...

Thread: Virginia: Gun buster signs at work

VIP Member

Virginia: Gun buster signs at work

http://tinyurl.com/c34l8vw

Two women injured in shooting at New River Valley Mall in Christiansburg

The suspect is in custody.

[video]

WDBJ7 Web Staff

3:55 p.m. EDT, April 12, 2013

CHRISTIANSBURG, Va.—

Two women were injured in a shooting Friday afternoon at the New River
    Valley Mall in Christiansburg.

SNIP

Note: both at a posted school and in a posted mall.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Do the signs have force of law in VA?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzed250 View Post
    Do the signs have force of law in VA?
    tresspassing violation except for the school which is illegal

Of course, it's the gun's fault, and has nothing to do with the criminal that shot them.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    tresspassing violation except for the school which is illegal
    In addition to schools, there are other places where illegal. See: http://tinyurl.com/2f9pffz

Otherwise, yup.

It is simple trespass -- assuming it can be established that one was clearly notified.

18.2-119. Trespass after having been forbidden to do so; penalties.

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian, or the agent of any such person, or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by or at the direction of such persons or the agent of any such person or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen, or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.2 through 16.1-278.6, 16.1-278.8, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-278.15, 16.1-279.1, 19.2-152.8, 19.2-152.9 or 19.2-152.10 or an ex parte order issued pursuant to 20-103, and after having been served with such order, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed to affect in any way the provisions of 18.2-132 through 18.2-136.
    [Emphasis added by me]
    Many cases are dismissed because the judge decides that the signage was not prominent enough -- although there is no statuary definition of what signage is required.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Up there in my old stomping grounds. I guess Gin & Juice Joe (aka Joe Biden) will now be calling to ban shotguns.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A community college is not a "school" for the legal prohibition. That Code section says prohibited schools are K-12, public or private.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    A community college is not a "school" for the legal prohibition. That Code section says prohibited schools are K-12, public or private.
    Yup.

However, thanks to action taken by the state governing board of Virginia's community college system, Community Colleges are no longer allowed to permit students with concealed handgun permits (CHPs) to carry on campus. The state board for the community college system approved a statewide guideline recommending a ban in September 2011 and then, IIRC, made the ban statewide policy in December that year.

So, it is simple trespass under 18.2-119 (same as for the whole mall where the NRCC remote campus is in Christensburg) -- and as you say not a violation of the K-12 law.

We had a therad about the move that was afoot back in '07. See: VA Comm Colleges discuss gun ban .

Prior to then, NRCC had no policy.

FWIIW, Blue Ridge Community College was the last holdout for freedom and sanity:

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

BRCC to ban guns on campus beginning January

College to implement new state weapons policy

11:27 PM, Dec 9, 2011

WEYERS CAVE - Blue Ridge Community College will no longer allow students and staff to carry weapons on campus, beginning next month.

The move comes after the state board for the community college system approved a statewide guideline recommending a ban in September, college spokeswoman Bridget Baylor said Friday.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links