WallMart & Price Gouging

WallMart & Price Gouging

This is a discussion on WallMart & Price Gouging within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ya know, although I don't care for many of Wally worlds corp policies and several of their practices; one thing has impressed me thru this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: WallMart & Price Gouging

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

WallMart & Price Gouging

Ya know, although I don't care for many of Wally worlds corp policies and several of their practices; one thing has impressed me thru
    this time of ammo shortage. They are not price gouging like nearly ALL gun retailers, sporting goods shops etc...

I was online looking a 22LR prices. Holy Cow!

I got lucky the other day & purchased 525 rnds for 22 bucks. Lucky gunner was $18 for 50 rnds! Are you kidding me.
    Broadus and darbo like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    They have been fair with the sales of AR-15s.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    They have been fair with the sales of AR-15s.
    Wow! I haven't seen any AR's in our Walmart at all.
    Lightweb likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Yeah, the only problem with Wally when it comes to ammo are some of their knucklehead customers and some select employees buying up stock to re-sell! I found a location (Atlanta area is all I'm saying!) with STACKS of the the Russian steel .223 Tul-Ammo for $5.27 per box of 20!!! Sure, it ain't the best, but it's better than nothing for the range! I've been swinging by almost every day after work to buy my 3 box limit. $27 for 100 rounds is about as good as you're gonna get these days!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Wow! I haven't seen any AR's in our Walmart at all.
    Mine either in Pewaukee WI ( only ammo ) but in more rural Mukwonago WI Walmart they sell long guns including ARs. They took down a waiting list for them and I know a guy who was #85 at the time and he got his a few weeks ago. They hold the gun for 24 ours if you don't get it the next in line gets a call. They don't tell you about the waiting list you have to ask them.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHancock View Post
    Yeah, the only problem with Wally when it comes to ammo are some of their knucklehead customers and some select employees buying up stock to re-sell! I found a location (Atlanta area is all I'm saying!) with STACKS of the the Russian steel .223 Tul-Ammo for $5.27 per box of 20!!! Sure, it ain't the best, but it's better than nothing for the range! I've been swinging by almost every day after work to buy my 3 box limit. $27 for 100 rounds is about as good as you're gonna get these days!
    Yeah..It's crazy here.
    I've been told the Wally trucks roll in around 10pm with the stock being put out around midnight.
    The sporting goods mgr said there are people in the store every night from 10pm til about 1am waiting to see if any ammo came in.
    I enjoy target practice, but not enough to sleep deprive myself. LOL

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    My local WW gets their ammo in overnight. The ammo desk opens at 7 am. I had to take my grandson to school yesterday at 7 and WW is only a few blocks away. I got there about 5 after. There were 4-5 people ahead of me. They got 6 boxes of 9mm and that was gone by the time I got to the front. They got 1 box of .38 and I got that. The guy in front of me bought 3 boxes of .45 and the guy behind me bought the other two. So, by 7:15, it was all gone except for some shotgun shells.

Oh well, I got a box of .38
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I'm really surprised that my local walmarts are selling at pre-obama prices. I've been able to get a few boxes of needed range ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I'm really surprised that my local walmarts are selling at pre-obama prices.
    Smart; VERY smart marketing and PR on their part.
    I don't mind (some) price increase, but nearly ALL gun retail stores are flat out gouging; stores that I may not frequent again.

Yeah one of my local gun shops is selling .223 Zombie Max for $27 per box of 20! Good defense ammo with novelty marketing, but it ain't THAT novel!

Our problem with "price gouging" is due to the hopelessly Capitalistic supply and demand.

When a particular item becomes higly sought after, ususally the price will increase because of high demand.

Then, when manufacturers cannot keep up with the supply, that also drives up the price due to lack of product.

Maybe when the fear dies down over all this gun control stuff and we can get back to more normal things, the supply will be met and the price will come down due to a better availability.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Ya know, although I don't care for many of Wally worlds corp policies and several of their practices; one thing has impressed me thru
    this time of ammo shortage. They are not price gouging like nearly ALL gun retailers, sporting goods shops etc...

I was online looking a 22LR prices. Holy Cow!

I got lucky the other day & purchased 525 rnds for 22 bucks. Lucky gunner was $18 for 50 rnds! Are you kidding me.
    I doubt Lucky Gunner has Wal-Mart's purchasing power. WM has the financial clout to deal directly with manufacturers, whereas even the big on-line ammo retailers like AmmoMan and Ammotogo are generally limited to working with distributors. I'd be surprised if those smaller guys have increased their markups much if at all throughout all this craziness.

My point is, don't make a knee-jerk assumption about price-gouging. Lucky Gunner is actually one of the reliable, stand-up retailers that doesn't mislead you about what's in stock, or make you wait months for delivery.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

LGS around here are buying from walmart and reselling it...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I was at a Walmart this past week, which had nothing I wanted as usual. The sporting goods dept. manager was the guy who helped me and was a cut above a typical Walmart employee (like actually spoke English without saying things like "I seen") and was telling me about their situation on getting in ammo. He said that they place orders for ammo to their distribution center just like they do for any other product they are low on or out of but they are being told in response that their orders are rejected as unavailable and any ammo they get just randomly shows up when the truck comes. So in short, they can place any order they want but it has no real weight and they just get what they are sent and that's that.

I don't know if this applies to guns as well, none of the Walmarts near me sell guns, but I have a feeling it probably does to an extent at least.

Walmart price gouging? Have you seen cheaper than dirt lately? I was on there last night and they are looking at $60 for a 50 round box of 9mm ammo. It surprised and disappointed me that a company like that would go that direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links