One "sharp" Bishop

This is a discussion on One "sharp" Bishop within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mormon bishop with Samurai sword runs off attacker SALT LAKE CITY (AP) A Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop helped a neighbor woman escape a Tuesday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: One "sharp" Bishop

VIP Member

One "sharp" Bishop

Mormon bishop with Samurai sword runs off attacker

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) A Samurai sword-wielding Mormon bishop helped a neighbor woman escape a Tuesday morning attack by a man who had been stalking her.

Kent Hendrix woke up Tuesday to his teenage son pounding on his bedroom door and telling him somebody was being mugged in front of their house. The 47-year-old father of six rushed out the door and grabbed the weapon closest to him a 29-inch high carbon steel Samurai sword.

He came upon what he describes as a melee between a woman and a man. His son stayed inside to call 911 while he approached the man along with other neighbors who came to help. The martial arts instructor didn't hesitate in drawing the sword and yelling at him to get on the ground.

"His eyes got as big as saucers and he kind of gasped and jumped back," Hendrix said by phone Tuesday afternoon. "He's probably never had anyone draw a sword on him before."
    EarthLink - U.S. News

While a Samurai sword is not a firearm it does illustrate having any weapon is better than none. The look on the BGs face had to be priceless.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Ah so......... 00.jpg
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While a Samurai sword is not a firearm it does illustrate having any weapon is better than none. The look on the BGs face had to be priceless.
    I want that guy for my neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Ah so......... 00.jpg
    I wonder if he put on the costume before he ran outside to help? Those Samuri are serious.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

You know, as much as I expect some thugs are frightened when a gun is pulled on them, something tells me that a sword is much less expected and therefore much more frightening.

"Aw ****, he got a gun."

vs

"HOLY ****! That crazy ***** got a sword!"
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I'd definitely rather be shot than have someone hacking on me with a sword.

I'm just glad that he didn't bring it to a gun fight.

I saw that.

The guy was a 4th degree black belt. If he would've left the sword inside and used his hands and feet to subdue him in a non-lethal way, the guy would've never been able to run away.

I think he brought out a weapon he wasn't prepared to use and was not justified in using.
    Life is about service.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Ohio View Post
    I saw that.

The guy was a 4th degree black belt. If he would've left the sword inside and used his hands and feet to subdue him in a non-lethal way, the guy would've never been able to run away.

I think he brought out a weapon he wasn't prepared to use and was not justified in using.
    He didn't know when he ran out there what he would be up against. He didn't stab the guy, just used it to subdue him until the police arrived. He may have been very prepared to use it if he HAD to, fortunately, he didn't have to.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    He didn't know when he ran out there what he would be up against. He didn't stab the guy, just used it to subdue him until the police arrived. He may have been very prepared to use it if he HAD to, fortunately, he didn't have to.
    He didn't subdue him. The guy ran away and was caught later. All he did was scare him off. As far as not knowing what he's up against, if the guy had a gun and a guy with a sword showed up, the guy with the drawn sword would've been shot.

The man ran down the street with the barefoot Hendrix and others in pursuit. Hendrix said he couldn't catch the man before he fled in his car, but he picked up ChapStick that the man dropped and memorized his license plate.

"I yelled at him, 'I've got your DNA and I've got your license plate: You are so done,'" Hendrix said.

The suspect, 37-year-old Grant Eggersten, turned himself in to police an hour later, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. He was booked on charges of robbery, attempted burglary, trespassing and violation of a stalking injunction.
    Life is about service.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm just glad that he didn't bring it to a gun fight.
    Makes me think of the Indiana Jones film...

http://youtu.be/anEuw8F8cpE
    Jeanlouise and BenGoodLuck like this.

I have a set of 440 carbon steel swords, the longer one a "Katana" the shorter one a "Wakizashi" and I know enough on how to use them and if I could not acquire my firearm then one or both of these would serve me well when dealing with some criminal. I also have a wooden sword called a "Bokken" that can do damage as well. It's made from Oak. I'd use that too.

I'd have no problem slicing off something or slashing some thug from stem to stern to protect my life and limb. The Mormon Bishop used whatever was available and a Katana did the trick. The bad guy was stopped and later actually turned himself in because of some identifying things.

Good for this guy. The government wants to strip us of our rights and weapons, but this just proves we need them in any form.
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Saw that on the news this morning. Proves a sword in the hand is better than one in a museum!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerista View Post
    That was my first thought. That scene is precious.

He didn't subdue him. The guy ran away and was caught later. All he did was scare him off. As far as not knowing what he's up against, if the guy had a gun and a guy with a sword showed up, the guy with the drawn sword would've been shot.
    Maybe the bishop didn't have a gun,,,,,at least he answered the call,,,,,,which some WITH a gun won't do.....

VIP Member
    Well, that's what we want out of a weapon isn't it?
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I saw that.

I guess I do not understand what you are saying. The guy grabbed a weapon that was handy and how do you know he was not prepared to use it. I imagine if the BG charged him he would have used it. As far as being justified the BG was attacking someone. I bet if it was your wife, daughter, or other loved one you would think it was justified.

He did what he had to do to stop an innocent person from being attacked and was aware enough to get the license plate and the BG turned himself into the police. I am not sure where there is anything negative about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links