Car-Jacking Defense and Mindset

This is a discussion on Car-Jacking Defense and Mindset within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...one defense topic that I don't read about much is how to defend against car-jacking...a crime that's becoming more and more common... ...I tell my ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Car-Jacking Defense and Mindset

...one defense topic that I don't read about much is how to defend against car-jacking...a crime that's becoming more and more common...
    ...I tell my family to lock their doors while driving...which they try to do(Mama's automatically lock) but they don't carry...my 20-year-old just doesn't and Mama's too lazy...

...other than carrying and being very alert...what do you do? the guy who owned the "black SUV" was minding his own business...and here's a guy at the window with a gun pointed at his head...

I frequently work in some of the worst parts of St. Louis and East St. Louis so I think about this often. A few measures I take/have taken is to tint my windows dark, keep my doors locked, my head on a swivel, and keep a loaded P95 between my seat and console and a Nano iwb. If an attacker has the drop me I can grab the P95 with my right hand after unbuckling and while exiting the vehicle.

My car is not worth risking my life. If someone with a gun has he drop on me, he can have my car.
    84160, Hodad and 103FLHX like this.

...that tinting's a great idea...mine're not but my pardner's windows are tinted...I can stand outside his truck and not see him at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by McTufferton View Post
    I frequently work in some of the worst parts of St. Louis and East St. Louis so I think about this often. A few measures I take/have taken is to tint my windows dark, keep my doors locked, my head on a swivel, and keep a loaded P95 between my seat and console and a Nano iwb. If an attacker has the drop me I can grab the P95 with my right hand after unbuckling and while exiting the vehicle.

Tinted an cross draw snub while driving. I keep a remora in my car to use cross draw while driving than switch to owb upon arrival. Defensive driving is an art had to take classes in army was tdy mp protecting nuclear weapons in transit. That was great duty, plain clothes unmarked cars unfortunately still using surplus world war two .45's talk about lose slide to frame fit they made noise when shaken. Still shot tho.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Some states outlawed tinted side windws, so the Cops can see who is in the car. It is not enforced much in Ca. Usually it is some ugly foreigner with bad tinting that looks like it was rubbed down with vaseline. My LCP in pocket carry, and my .45's old IWB were bad for driving, but my new IWB sits higher and forward, allowing an easy draw in my pickup.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Doors locked and SA. Don't pull up too close to car in front of you so you can manuver if needed. Don't be afraid to run a red light to drive off if needed.

...being lefty, I've had to rely on BUG both in patrol car and my own to get to a weapon quickly...

...my first .45 was a 1911...from WWI...not much finish left and worn out like yours...but they still worked fine...ain't nuttin' wrong with ugly(look at all the Glocks out there)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Tinted an cross draw snub while driving. I keep a remora in my car to use cross draw while driving than switch to owb upon arrival. Defensive driving is an art had to take classes in army was tdy mp protecting nuclear weapons in transit. That was great duty, plain clothes unmarked cars unfortunately still using surplus world war two .45's talk about lose slide to frame fit they made noise when shaken. Still shot tho.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    My car is not worth risking my life. If someone with a gun has he drop on me, he can have my car.
    That someone with the gun may want you to drive until it is convenient for them to roll your dead body into ditch.

You may want to rethink that plan a little.

Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    I understand your thinking.
    My kids may be in their carseats, if that is the case all the bg will be getting is some .38 lswc and or some .45 ranger Ts. Wonder how the lswc will do through a car door...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    That someone with the gun may want you to drive until it is convenient for them to roll your dead body into ditch.

You may want to rethink that plan a little.
    Generally, when a gun is shoved in your face, your options are fairly limited at that moment.
    103FLHX likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Generally, when a gun is shoved in your face, your options are fairly limited at that moment.
    The tactics will depend on the details of the moment. My point is that a plan on going passive when presented with lethal force is a bad one.

Cant let them get in car with you. The only advantage you have is commitment. Most bad guys are cowards an do not want a shootout. The second you see a gun draw an shoot as fast as you can. That is my plan. There are several threads an statistics that show several things. One is most bad guys have smaller caliber an are not practiced in shooting them. Take fast an deliberate action. This is only my opinion buts its what i feel is right for me.
    perfection likes this.

I consider car jacking to be among the most, if not the most likely defensive shooting scenario that I would encounter as a civilian. Several thoughts here, both my own and from experts such as Mas Ayoob:

1) SA, as always, is key. Is someone loitering around your vehicle? Is someone following you? Are you in a poorly lighted area? Are there places from which an assailant could appear suddenly? If your vehicle is so equipped, having your remote's lock button set to beep your horn can be used as a type of diversionary device if your are approaching it and suspect there may be someone hiding on the opposite side that you cannot see.

2) Check your back seat. I learned this from one of Mas Ayoob's videos, they had a class of all LEO and military personnel, roughly 95% of them did not check their back seat before entering the vehicle and were killed by the assailant hiding there when they got in.

3) Tints: I have them all around (80%, max legal in TX) as do most people in the SE/SW due to the climate. Tints work both ways, this is good most of the time but bad for #2 above. The other aspect to consider is that mots auto glass is a)laminated and b)curved. Both of these factors contribute to it's resistance to impact, adding a tint film is effectively adding another layer of lamination and impact resistance.

4) This ties in with #3, but ammo selection is important, specifically barrier penetration capability. Many will say 'I'm not a LEO, what do I care about barrier penetration?', well auto glass, especially tinted auto glass is a barrier, as is auto sheet metal. I personally will not carry a round that does not have credible barrier penetration through glass and sheet metal (FBI test). I know many will disagree with this point, but this is also why I personally would not carry a .45.

5) Never give up your gun, period. Nothing good ever happens if you do, this has been seen time and time again with LEOs in various situations and the result is almost always tragic. It sounds cliche I know, but I really would rather be shot or prosecuted for a shooting of an assailant than be at their mercy. I'm not going to bring GZ into this because his situation is more complicated than this point, but look at the Onion Fields case as an example.

...not well...cheaper to replace a window, anyways...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I understand your thinking.
    My kids may be in their carseats, if that is the case all the bg will be getting is some .38 lswc and or some .45 ranger Ts. Wonder how the lswc will do through a car door...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links