Store owner defends with AR-15

This is a discussion on Store owner defends with AR-15 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A new tongue twister to teach to kids: "Staties Say Shingleton's Shawn Schank Scared Ski-masked Scumbags on Sunday." Iraq War vet thwarts break-in at Michigan ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Gearhead
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 2 Post By Rob99VMI04
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By BigStick
  • 3 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Store owner defends with AR-15

A new tongue twister to teach to kids: "Staties Say Shingleton's Shawn Schank Scared Ski-masked Scumbags on Sunday."

Iraq War vet thwarts break-in at Michigan gas station | Lansing State Journal | lansingstatejournal.com

SHINGLETON — Police say an Iraq War veteran thwarted two would-be burglars at his northern Michigan gas station by kicking one of them and ordering them away with an AR-15 rifle.

State police said Shawn Schank was inside the gas station about 4:10 a.m. Sunday in Shingleton, an Upper Peninsula community in Alger County, when two people wearing ski masks forced their way into the building and approached the cash register.

Police say Schank kicked one of them, retrieved the AR-15 from his office and ordered the burglars to leave.

Police say one of the burglars took off his mask and pleaded with Schank not to shoot him before both suspects fled on foot.

Police say they arrested a 17-year-old from Shingleton and an 18-year-old from Munising. They’re jailed pending charges.

Hopefully both hoodlums were issued clean underwear upon arrival to the jail.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Now they will get a second chance. "Don't help a good boy go bad".
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I guess this guy did not watch the video with Whoopi Goldberg saying you can't use those weapons for self or home defense.

VIP Member
    He should have used a shotgun
    Brad426 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

If anything it proves their worth in my mind. He prevented violence with just the sight of the weapon. Granted they will probably do it again when they get out However they young and maybe this may encounter may turn them around. Hopefully so.

One of the perps pleaded to not get shot. Really? Then stop engaging in criminal activities and putting yourself at risk. Hopefully he'll realize his stupidity, stay in school and make an honest living.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    This vet clearly doesn't know what hes doing. He did not grab his double barrel shotgun and fire two blasts into the air.
    Glock2201 and msgt/ret like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    Hopefully he'll realize his stupidity, stay in school and make an honest living.
    What are you smoking? He will most likely go to prison so he can hone his BG skills and come out worse for the experience. Someone else will get to deal with his sorry butt in a few years and hopefully will get the same response. BG in jail; GG back to work unharmed.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    He should have used a shotgun
    And with both barrels.

Both BGs should appreciate him being such a nice guy and not sending them into the afterlife.
    Snub44, msgt/ret, ep1953 and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lead Moderator
    Wow, surprising for this area. Small town and all, gues they wore masks due to being easily identified otherwise. Good to hear of another defensive use with an AR.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    I guess this guy did not watch the video with Whoopi Goldberg saying you can't use those weapons for self or home defense.
    Yep, back to the indoctrination center, I mean school for the vet. Civilians (even vets) have no use for an assault wepaon.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    But, but, but... I thought the only purpose of an "assault rifle" was to kill a lot of people really quickly? You mean they can be used to defend things too??? And not even need to be fired to do it's job? That can't be right. Harry Reid said it isn't true.
    Glock2201 likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    What are you smoking? He will most likely go to prison so he can hone his BG skills and come out worse for the experience. Someone else will get to deal with his sorry butt in a few years and hopefully will get the same response. BG in jail; GG back to work unharmed.
    I don't smoke or toke. I said hopefully, thinking his learning curve might not be a flat line. However, I would not be surprised that he'll most likely end up in jail or a morgue at a relatively young age. Mores the pity.

I bet dem Yuppers will call this the Shawn Schank Redemption...
    Brad426, rocky and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links