Society is in big trouble Science experiment gone wrong.

This is a discussion on Society is in big trouble Science experiment gone wrong. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Science Project Lands ?Exemplary? Student in Jail | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes WOW!!! They need common sense to Uncommonsense....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Society is in big trouble Science experiment gone wrong.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

manolito likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I can't believe she was expelled for this? Yes it was poor judgement to try it on school grounds, but school is meant to be a place to experiment and learn.. She deserves a smack on the wrist, but the school reaction again seems way over the top. I guess if another kid is found shaking a soda bottle in the play ground to watch it go pop, he will also be expelled? No wonder both my kids are home schooled.. School really does NOT seem to be a place that I want my kids to attend, they are suppose to learn to think for themselves, not just become sheep and do exactly as told.. I really wonder what this country will be like in another 30 to 50 years when we have young adults who are terrified of everything, with no ability to think for themselves.. It will be a sorry day for us all.

Gary
    darbo and Secret Spuk like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    As to the legal charges:
    790.161 Making, possessing, throwing, projecting, placing, or discharging any destructive device or attempt so to do, felony; penalties.—A person who willfully and unlawfully makes, possesses, throws, projects, places, discharges, or attempts to make, possess, throw, project, place, or discharge any destructive device:
    (1) Commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.084.
    (2) If the act is perpetrated with the intent to do bodily harm to any person, or with the intent to do property damage, or if the act results in a disruption of governmental operations, commerce, or the private affairs of another person, commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.084.
    (3) If the act results in bodily harm to another person or in property damage, commits a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.084.
    (4) If the act results in the death of another person, commits a capital felony, punishable as provided in s. 775.082.

Yadda-yadda. The state will have to prove "intent" or "resulted" to make its case. I see charges dropped.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

mkh
    The toilet bowl cleaner probably contains lye.

Forty years ago we learned to mix lye and aluminum to create hydrogen gas. Put balloons over coke bottles filled with the mixture and they would fill with the hydrogen gas. Maude's som great fireballs and the coke bottles would get very hot but we never had one that exploded.

Home schooling or private school ONLY way 2 go.
    msgt/ret and bigdogtx like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

We did the lye & aluminum foil too! We had some awesome fireballs from those hydrogen filled balloons.

Now we will need a background check before buying aluminum foil.
    BugDude likes this.

The school district's zero tolerance policy just means zero intelligence on the part of the administration.
    msgt/ret, mkh and ep1953 like this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I wonder if I would get expelled aft6er eating a Burrito and walking past a lit bunsen burner
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

On a "yard" outside the school ... I'm assuming this means on school property, hence under the school's jurisdiction.

FL 790.161 requires intent, as OldVet points out. It's clear that merely having an experiment result in a "poof," "bang" or even small explosion doesn't by itself constitute "making a bomb." Chemical reactions happen. In chemistry, we did a number of "poof" type experiments which in larger concentrations would absolutely have made a mess; nobody died or was threatened in those, and nobody intended to "make a bomb."

Of course, it's knee-jerk, zero-tolerance folk we're dealing with, and their hired guns (attorneys). Anything's possible, in court.

My bet, as well: the criminal charges will ultimately be dropped due to lack of evidence, and a follow-on lawsuit might be launched with undisclosed private terms to satisfy the suit once the parties come to "agreement."
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I keep expecting a bi-partisan measure to attempt to outlaw chemistry in the near future
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    I keep expecting a bi-partisan measure to attempt to outlaw chemistry in the near future
    Nature cannot be fooled. One would hope the "zero tolerance" crowd wouldn't stoop so low as to attempt to ban physics or chemistry. But ya never know. They've surprised the heck out of me before.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My question. Why wasn't this supervised. I'm not advicating for more oversight or anything, but kids need to be watched.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Does anyone have the hydrogen generator for their car?
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    My question. Why wasn't this supervised. I'm not advicating for more oversight or anything, but kids need to be watched.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    It sounds like she was doing something for a Science Project that was not an assignment. The girl is 16. Who would be doing the supervision? Most parents wouldn't know if it was potentially dangerous or not.

Give the girl some credit for taking some initiaitve on her own without having to be supervised. This is really not a big deal and the school with its idiotic policy made it into a big deal.

I don't fault the girl at all.
    Hopyard, ksholder, ccw9mm and 2 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    No wonder kids think science is boring. All the fun stuff is banned from school grounds.
    Secret Spuk and ep1953 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links